Getting everything lined up

Sofaking

Registered
I'm trying to start over and rebuild my stroke to have better fundamentals. I don't mind taking as long as necessary to fix my problems. I noticed yesterday, after putting my phone down the shot line, that I have a tendency to have my hand inside my humerus when I'm down on the shot. So, I don't have a straight line through the shaft, my humerus, my forearm, and my hand.
Do I fix this by adjusting my stance? I would guess that closing my stance would move my shoulder more around my body.
Or do I just relax my arm more so that my forearm hangs like a rope with the weight of the cue? then, build my stance around that "feeling".
any help would be greatly appreciated.
I worked on shot sequence and tried to resolve this by hitting straight-in shots yesterday for about 4hrs and did not hit any better at the end as I did when I started. I'm missing something and I don't know enough to figure out what to change.

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's difficult to self-diagnose issues by yourself. A set of trained eyes, and video analysis do wonders for figuring out what YOU do (most of us don't know what we do). Then the instructor helps you figure out a better process, and teaches you how to practice it correctly. Look for a qualified instructor (one who uses video analysis) and take a lesson. Where in LA are you?

Scott Lee
2019 PBIA Instructor of the Year
Director, SPF National Pool School Tour

I'm trying to start over and rebuild my stroke to have better fundamentals. I don't mind taking as long as necessary to fix my problems. I noticed yesterday, after putting my phone down the shot line, that I have a tendency to have my hand inside my humerus when I'm down on the shot. So, I don't have a straight line through the shaft, my humerus, my forearm, and my hand.
Do I fix this by adjusting my stance? I would guess that closing my stance would move my shoulder more around my body.
Or do I just relax my arm more so that my forearm hangs like a rope with the weight of the cue? then, build my stance around that "feeling".
I worked on shot sequence and tried to resolve this by hitting straight-in shots yesterday for about 4hrs and did not hit any better at the end as I did when I started. I'm missing something and I don't know enough to figure out what to change.

Imac007

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The grip determines the alignment

I think this relates to the grip. My cue lines up with the humerus. Without a cue point your index finger straight ahead in line with the forearm. Now bend the center joint “triggering the finger”. From there bring the extended thumb sideways into a squeeze position. The key to this is that the cue can be held in a squeeze, not a chicken choke. Pressure adjusted sideways from both sides still keeps the cue on line. The back of the hand tends to be relatively flat with the forearm as well.

Now grip with a strangle then rotate the back of the hand to align flat like above with the forearm. The cue butt now sits to the inside, not aligned vertically with the arm. That fisted grip will only align if the thumb of the fist is rotated to align with the Inside of the forearm.

I personally like the triggered squeeze grip. Any tightening of a fisted grip tends to rotate the thumb inward. The vertical thumb grip needs to retain the vertical to stay on line. The trigger grip senses the triggered finger aligned and the back of hand flattened to the plane. That also grip tends to be more fingertip oriented along the butt.