Is Schmidt's and charlie 626 Legit

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It may have been covered but without going through countless posts, has anyone confirmed not only the corner and side pocket mouth measurements on the table John ran his 626, but even more critical to me, the PFA (pocket facing angle) on those corner pockets? The differences between how easy to how tough 139 - 141 - 143 degree PFA’s would be huge, with 139 being the easiest and 143 the toughest. Thanks

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
I think his point about the 2X is valid.

Around 30% of the run was supposedly shown at high speed... so who knows.

Lou Figueroa

Well, the people who have seen it know. Cuz...they watched it. And they have more perspective on what it looked like than those who haven't seen it.

And when someone as knowledgeable as Bob Jewett says its legit, I can accept that. Since he knows what he's looking at.

(Of course, you can go all conspiracy on it, and claim that they've done some masterful editing, for the sake of the grand conspiracy, but I doubt they pulled Cleary in on it, good as he is at editing pool stuff. Conspiracy without ANY evidence, only hearsay, kinda falls flat in the face of actual testimony.)

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well, the people who have seen it know. Cuz...they watched it. And they have more perspective on what it looked like than those who haven't seen it.

And when someone as knowledgeable as Bob Jewett says its legit, I can accept that. Since he knows what he's looking at.

(Of course, you can go all conspiracy on it, and claim that they've done some masterful editing, for the sake of the grand conspiracy, but I doubt they pulled Cleary in on it, good as he is at editing pool stuff. Conspiracy without ANY evidence, only hearsay, kinda falls flat in the face of actual testimony.)

Sorry, but if this showing, in some way, was to provide *evidence* that a long standing record was legitimately broken, showing a significant portion of it at high speed doesn't cut it, at least not for me.

If it was just to entertain folks while they watched, and enjoyed food and beverages and had a few yuks, I'm sure it was fine.

Lou Figueroa

logical

Loose Rack
Silver Member
Sorry, but if this showing, in some way, was to provide *evidence* that a long standing record was legitimately broken, showing a significant portion of it at high speed doesn't cut it, at least not for me.

If it was just to entertain folks while they watched, and enjoyed food and beverages and had a few yuks, I'm sure it was fine.

Lou Figueroa
It's all just entertainment...there is no prize, trophy, real fame or even much financial gain for anyone. I don't disagree that there isn't positive proof out there but can there ever really be ....and is it any more or less proven than any previous "record"?

Sent from the future.

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's all just entertainment...there is no prize, trophy, real fame or even much financial gain for anyone. I don't disagree that there isn't positive proof out there but can there ever really be ....and is it any more or less proven than any previous "record"?

Sent from the future.

oh, but there is positive proof out there.

It’s the video, in its entirety, unedited. But that isn’t being made available, so instead there are these occasional dog and pony shows which reap little financial reward for JS and for some of us only sows more doubt as to why real proof isn’t made available.

Lou Figueroa

logical

Loose Rack
Silver Member
oh, but there is positive proof out there.

It’s the video, in its entirety, unedited. But that isn’t being made available, so instead there are these occasional dog and pony shows which reap little financial reward for JS and for some of us only sows more doubt as to why real proof isn’t made available.

Lou Figueroa
Really? You are saying the video is proof positive. Are you going all The Shining on us from being confined to home?

Sent from the future.

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Really? You are saying the video is proof positive. Are you going all The Shining on us from being confined to home?

Sent from the future.

I’m saying full unedited video would be proof.

And I’m not going all “Shinning.” I have recently been given full access to a 9’ Diamond anytime I want with not another soul anywhere nearby :)

Lou Figueroa
gettin’ out

logical

Loose Rack
Silver Member
I’m saying full unedited video would be proof.

And I’m not going all “Shinning.” I have recently been given full access to a 9’ Diamond anytime I want with not another soul anywhere nearby :)

Lou Figueroa

gettin’ out
Can we ever really know if we are alone Lou?

I have my lowly Gold Crown to keep me company. I don't want to fight with you. You seem OK for the most part

Sent from the future.

Dan Harriman

One of the best in 14.1
Silver Member
Well, Danny... while I may not be the purist in terms of dedication to 14.1, as compared to you, I can assure you I'm a purist when it comes to our game as a whole, in all its various forms.

In regards to "negativity", I was just suggesting that you consider outsiders looking in on our sport... and instead, as a talented and gifted player, use your prowess as a respected ambassador of 14.1, to get more people involved in learning about straight pool.

Without trying to start a debate on CW, and his annual 14.1 tournament, I just want to share with you that I was sceptical of the move from NY to FL. I didn't think Jax had the following to support straight pool. Let me be the first to say I was wrong. It was encouraging to see the interest and support of local players... and irregardless of sponsors and/or H.O.F. inductions... any interest and support in our sport is gladly welcomed... which is why I agreed to host the first large crowd showing of John's video.

Look, I understand your concerns, and personally agree that the video should be made available sooner than later. In John's defense, I think this is a case of still trying to figure out how to market and monetize... and before you comment on that, there is nothing wrong with monetizing success... professional pool players don't make enough money as it is, so they need to cash in wherever and whenever possible... you, of all people, should understand that. In your defense, I don't see you as jealous or negative... but instead, as a player who is a bit overprotective of his passion. That's isn't necessarily a bad thing, but again, as an outsider looking in, I'm just suggesting you use that energy for more positivity.

Finally, I would like to invite you to swing by my store the next time you are in the area. I promise you won't find any smoke or mirrors... just honest passion for pool and the industry as a whole... and if that makes me a machine, then I just might be the best machine you've ever met.

-Erik
I appreciate yer candor - but almost two yrs after their 626 announcement - all their selling is a chopped video? maybe it's time for another thea'trick'al showing? I can make the 'whole kernal corny' pop - 4 yer next virtual theatrical production.

Last edited:

Dan Harriman

One of the best in 14.1
Silver Member
Reading this thread, it begs the question: if the video (tax records) is released and it is unaltered and legitimate, what then?

I completely understand the search for the truth, but that search can be done many ways. The two biggest are positively and negatively. That is, if folks would spend their time promoting and advocating for pool, perhaps it could steadily climb out of the gutter and return to its former glory.

All the energy spent pulling others down impacts the game as a whole, not just the individuals involved...

-td [just my $0.02. Probably worth less]
yer two cents worth - ain't worth a wooden nickel, two yrs later - and still no video for sale - Mosconi's True World Record of 526 Stands. It is very negative for crooked pwers that b,c, and a to spread the disinformation and or CLAIM that Mosconi's record has been surpassed - caught on camera - and not provide verifiable evidence. Do u think #td873 :) their tape - not allowing public to see unedited footage after two yrs - will pass as Legit? To say that the bca looks shady here is an understatement. :-( How am I supposed to be positive about What could be the largest media lie told in reference to 14.1 - in Pocket Billiard History? If u have a valid answer to my inquiry here- then yer a genius. I like to look at the whole picture as well - and try to stay positive - but the bca/j.s./pred cues have ripped a section of the canvas where Mosconi's record should be. I have been practicing and competing at 14.1 for 30+ yrs - have held my own against the best - I know Mosconi's accomplishment deserves better than a bca chopped video for proof.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.