Dumbest question ever asked on AZB....

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
It's all in the technique.

Thank you. I can do it and I only have average size hands. I've been able to do that for so long that I can't remember when I learned how. Maybe it's because I've had to be a rack boy for so many players. :)

That said, I rarely grab four balls. It's just easier to grab three at a time, and only takes a couple of seconds longer to clear the ball tray. Mike Massey can grab five in each hand no problem, and hold nine balls in one hand on a bet. He has massive hands and Tarzan like strength though!

P.S. The only dumb question is the one you don't ask.

Last edited:

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
OK, since we have now moved to a higher level

Careful... if that sticks you'll spend all your time explaining that it's about picking up pool balls.

pj <- yeah, sure, whatever you say, 3-Balls...
chgo

Now that the thread is elevated to a higher level, what do you do with an elephant with three balls?

Throw it another and get the giraffe at the plate. Everybody knows they can't hit an inside pitch.

Hu

Maxx

AzB Platinum Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Ask Finley, he can do 6

Attachments

• B5647A81-F2A4-4E68-96FF-E65FBA02BE95.jpg
    B5647A81-F2A4-4E68-96FF-E65FBA02BE95.jpg
    111.1 KB · Views: 147

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'd like to know how Jimmy Caras did his counting balls trick where he took 3 balls in each hand and rolled them up table and added them together before they hit the end rail.

A guy might be able to make a few pennies on that trick.

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
I will just stick with my tried and true method of picking up 1 ball at a time. :thumbup::thumbup:

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Not the dumbest question ever on this forum. I recall that a poster once asked whether a screw on tip was better than a glue on tip.

ribdoner

SATISFACTION GUARANTEED
Silver Member
Okay folks, I'm bored. This self quarantine/social-distancing is making me crazy.

My question: How does one, or what is the proper way to pick four balls up out of the ball return with one hand?

I do not have small hands. Heck, at almost 67 years-old I can still palm a basketball. But for some reason I cannot for the life of me pick four pool balls up at a time with one hand without fumbling one or more of them onto the floor. :sorry:

What makes it more frustrating to me is how easy the players make it look on all the YouTube videos I watch. Heck, I even saw Karen Corr doing it on a taped match.

How about someone give me a detailed description, or better yet a picture of how to perform this seemingly (to me) act of magic.

Maniac

gorilla glue is your friend

also seems like some schmuck was pimpin a "pardon duel hand expander" on late night tv....basketballs got nothin on those puppies

Last edited:
Okay folks, I'm bored. This self quarantine/social-distancing is making me crazy.

My question: How does one, or what is the proper way to pick four balls up out of the ball return with one hand?

I do not have small hands. Heck, at almost 67 years-old I can still palm a basketball. But for some reason I cannot for the life of me pick four pool balls up at a time with one hand without fumbling one or more of them onto the floor. :sorry:

What makes it more frustrating to me is how easy the players make it look on all the YouTube videos I watch. Heck, I even saw Karen Corr doing it on a taped match.

How about someone give me a detailed description, or better yet a picture of how to perform this seemingly (to me) act of magic.

Maniac

For some reason, this reminds me of when I was a young kid, watching one of the best players in town gambling with another very strong player.

When he would lose, he would grab all 9 balls up with his hands, and rack the balls up in like 2 seconds flat.

I remember thinking how cool it looks, and I wanted to see if I could do the same thing (to grab up all 9 balls at one time).

I've actually been trying to do that recently. It means I only need two sets of grabs to rack 14 for straight pool. I keep dropping balls, so I only use it when my opponent has a good break shot set up.:wink:

-- Three-ball Bob

I could do 9, but I think I needed both hands to do it. Can't remember now.