best cue up to a 1,000 dollars

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i got some money freed up , been out of pool for a while . i have 2 80ties meucci , i play with a schon .

what is best cue custom for 1,000 bucks ? i hope to get alot of replies from the pros here . im pretty much a 4 number player. but now im getting my daughter in pool . she loves it . she loves my cue , so i want one for me lol .

ive heard good things about rick howard , but i dont think he is in that price range .

By "4 number player" do you mean an APA 4? Schon is a very good cue especially the older ones. No guarantee you would get a better cue for $1,000.

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Post a thread in the WTB category stating your budget and what you have in mind for a cue.
If you haven’t decided yet, don’t ask cue sellers to help you figure that out by bringing offers.

Simple ex., wrap or wrap less? Which do you prefer? Pretty much everyone has a preference.
Being more clear maximizes your time and hopefully promotes a better response on your thread.

The more you can share, even of a general nature, about what you want helps. If you don’t know,
well, that is a horse of an entirely different color. But generally, most players know what they want.

Since main forum allows for gen’l pool related threads, post there but also mention your WTB thread.
Meanwhile, think about any cue-makers that already interest & watch to see if any cues get offered up.

classiccues

Don't hashtag your broke friends
Silver Member
"Pros" like pro players, or "pros" of trying 100 cues a year? Pro players can play with anything, they are likely sponsored so the opinion is biased.

Do your homework, the secondary market is choc-full of cue deals. A lot can be had in your price range.

JV

i got some money freed up , been out of pool for a while . i have 2 80ties meucci , i play with a schon .

what is best cue custom for 1,000 bucks ? i hope to get alot of replies from the pros here . im pretty much a 4 number player. but now im getting my daughter in pool . she loves it . she loves my cue , so i want one for me lol .

ive heard good things about rick howard , but i dont think he is in that price range .

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
I agree. But he asked about a 1K cue so wasn't sure where the sub $300.00 McDermott came from. :scratchhead:

You can buy a lot of nice cues up to a grand, you can't buy many for under $300.00, even from McDermott.

It came because one needs not spend $1,000.00, a $300.00 McDermott will work, if the guy just want something to play with that is a Player & simple.

McDermott makes expensive stuff, but it the same basic product, with bell & whistles.

JazzboxBlues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a josey that I'd sell you for less than I purchased it new in october.

is it the best, I don't know, but I do know if I didn't have a bluegrass every player I'd be using it as my player. Hits the ball damn good.

I can attest that Josey makes a nice cue. I used a Josey sneaky for 2 years when I returned to the game.

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

jayburger

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For under 1000...hard to beat “joey”cues...joey bautista from California...i have one right now thats purpleheart handle with birdseye maple forearm and buttsleeve with fancy rings and stag?joint and shaft collars...i just don,t think you can buy a better cue( mine is around 650) and if you would have asked me a month ago i would have said josey or rick howard merry widow....I actually think joey cues play better,!

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It came because one needs not spend $1,000.00, a $300.00 McDermott will work, if the guy just want something to play with that is a Player & simple.

McDermott makes expensive stuff, but it the same basic product, with bell & whistles.

True - his current cue is a Schon. I wouldn't guarantee a huge upgrade in how the cue plays for $1,000 unless the Schon is warped or something.

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
True - his current cue is a Schon. I wouldn't guarantee a huge upgrade in how the cue plays for $1,000 unless the Schon is warped or something.

I read that but was thinking he just want a second player. So that why I chimed in what I did.

Truth is you can only use one Cue at a time.

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For under 1000...hard to beat “joey”cues...joey bautista from California...i have one right now thats purpleheart handle with birdseye maple forearm and buttsleeve with fancy rings and stag?joint and shaft collars...i just don,t think you can buy a better cue( mine is around 650) and if you would have asked me a month ago i would have said josey or rick howard merry widow....I actually think joey cues play better,!

Is that what Joey's cues sell for? $650 for a custom cue?

Maybe I'll order one.

bpp&d

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
If you'd like to try out a carbon fiber set-up, I have a becue available.

Natural born naked with two of the white shafts - a 5.1 (11.8mm tip) and a Prime (12mm tip) +joint protectors, an extension, and glove for $1,000.

If you're interested pm your email address to me and I'll send you some pictures.

Good luck in your search.

Harry

MANPUSS

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
thanks for offer , but im kinda old school lol ; but i do apprciate the offer .

jayburger

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Is that what Joey's cues sell for? $650 for a custom cue?

Maybe I'll order one.

I think there probably a little more but i,m not sure...mine is in 95% condition,really great shape,and thats about what they go for on secondary market,give or take .i said 650 because thats what i would take for mine. They REALLY play good. I know you,re a cue guy and just reading your posts,i think you are a lot like me and judge a cue by how they PLAY first and aesthetics second...with joey cues you get it all because he really pairs good hitting woods together and premium shafts. For the money,he just builds top notch players.I have never read a bad review of his cues,only how much people regret getting rid of them lol...

cuesblues

cue accumulator
Silver Member
For custom cues under a grand I've always like Terry McFadden in Phoenix.
Terry used to be here in Denver and worked with Ernie Martinez.

I'm working with Terry as a dealer if anyone is interested in a nice cue.

pooldawg8

My Pride and Joy
Gold Member
Silver Member
Under a grand, I`m with azer ''jayburger'' joeyincali makes a very nice cue. Mine should be done soon Also check with azer ''cuesblues'' another great azer to work with.
Hope this helps you out
Jeff

RDeca

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
EDDIE COHEN. RIGHT AT A GRAND.

MEZZ...5 OR 600
SCHON IF YOU LIKE DEFLECTION AND A NICE RING TO THE HIT.

Prather (u pick everything)
Jacoby (solid...very "flat" hit.

Old mcdermott 3-4 bills

Personally I'd stay away from predator

johnnysd

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

"Best" is mostly a matter of opinion based on individual preferences. If you can provide what you like in a cue we can give you much better direction. Such as

1. Do you like a softer hit or harder hit?

2. What level of stiffness do you like in a cue ? ( some zip. medium, stiff, very stiff)

3. What type of balance?

4. What sound do you prefer?

5. Does it require and extension?

6. Is LD really important in the cue?

7. Is production OK or does it need to be a true custom form a cue maker?

8. How fancy does it need to be for $1000

9. Type of joint

Answer those questions and I think I and several others could recommend a cue that you would be happy with.

LHP5

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Its always been hard for me to find a custom for under $1k new. Also hard to find a used one too from a well known maker. I would recommend a plain jane Capone if he still offers it. Years ago he was selling plain jane's at a pick your wood w/ wrap for $700. Should of bought that a long time ago.

Bob Farr

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I would suggest Jeff Olney or Troy Downey for a big pin, flat faced style cue. Best bang for your buck IMO.
You can get a good Olney on the secondary market but, a long wait for a new one.
You can get a New Downey with two shafts through Mueller Recreational Products in about 4 to 6 months. He builds several models under $1k and they are excellent cues. Troy flies way under the radar in the cue maker world.

If you want “Old School” steel jointed, piloted joint type of cue, the best ones I’ve ever laid my hands on are from Garten Bierbower. I believe you can get a player from him for about $1k. Less if you can find a gently used one.

johnnysd

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would suggest Jeff Olney or Troy Downey for a big pin, flat faced style cue. Best bang for your buck IMO.
You can get a good Olney on the secondary market but, a long wait for a new one.
You can get a New Downey with two shafts through Mueller Recreational Products in about 4 to 6 months. He builds several models under $1k and they are excellent cues. Troy flies way under the radar in the cue maker world.

If you want “Old School” steel jointed, piloted joint type of cue, the best ones I’ve ever laid my hands on are from Garten Bierbower. I believe you can get a player from him for about $1k. Less if you can find a gently used one.

Jeff makes awesome cues. I sold mine in a moment of weakness when I needed money for a medical bill and it is the one cue I truly regret selling. I would buy it back in a flash.

Plus his cues have the added benefit of providing a solid triceps workout every time you screw it together.