Aiming System

darrenpool

Registered
I saw this video and curious about are there many people using this aiming system?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_fR6BZ5TDs

I use ghost ball aiming system. However, the video says it will present problems as you become a more advanced player. I'm trying to think how to improve my shooting. Is this aiming system worthy to learn? Anyone have the experience about learning this aiming system? I tried to find more videos on Youtube but couldn't find any. Any information appreciated. Thank you! :)

The Renfro

Outsville.com
Silver Member
I saw this video and curious about are there many people using this aiming system?

I use ghost ball aiming system. However, the video says it will present problems as you become a more advanced player. I'm trying to think how to improve my shooting. Is this aiming system worthy to learn? Anyone have the experience about learning this aiming system? I tried to find more videos on Youtube but couldn't find any. Any information appreciated. Thank you! :)

There is a whole subforum just for aiming system discussions so be ready to field a bunch of responses telling you so.... Short version is noone agrees on which system works best and some will argue against them entirely...

I try as many systems as I can track down and tend to cherry pick them for the shots I have trouble with... In the end it's about visual intelligence and rote from hitting the same shots over and over and recognizing them when they come up... Use the GB where it works and for areas you have trouble learn new ways to aim... Maybe you will be lucky and GB will be all you ever need it COULD happen or NOT..... The only one who will really know in the end will be you.....

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member

Ghost ball is as good as any aiming system, and a lot better than some. Any aiming system is only as good or bad as the player using it - they're all just visualization aids and the only real difference is what kind you relate to best.

Ghost ball has the advantage of being the simplest, most intuitive and easiest to understand aiming method, but that doesn't mean it's limiting. It will grow and adapt with you just like any other. Even if it doesn't remain your main aiming method, it can always be a useful supplement for any other method.

pj
chgo

Last edited:

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
The bottom line is that aiming systems are used by many folks, as they don't naturally see the angle to shoot cut shots. They have not developed the right picture for their brain of what is right and what is wrong.

Thus, an aiming tool, in most cases, puts the "right" picture in the brain, and when you make the shot, the brains stores the info. Eventually, you begin to start recalling specific angles and how much of the object ball to hit.

Eventually, it becomes natural and you know where to "hit" the shot as soon as you take a look at it. Thus, the folks that hate aiming systems are usually the "naturals" who can just look at an object ball and know precisely where to hit it. Maybe they were born with this gift, maybe from trial and error after shooting the mythical "million" balls, who knows for sure.

Bottom line, whatever helps you play better, and enjoy the game even more, just do it ;)

DogsPlayingPool

"What's in your wallet?"
Silver Member
The idea of identifying the contact points on the two balls using parallel lines is nothing new. In fact it just came up in a recent thread. I'm not sure I really even consider it separate from the ghost ball system, more like ghost ball 102.

Last edited:

Cardigan Kid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
These are all excellent responses to a new member question on the aiming system topic. You fellas are an asset to the site, and that's what makes AZ special.

To the OP, if you browse the threads in the aiming system section of the forums, you'll see on the first page alone, a number of great leads. There's even one sending you to a link where two professional players Corey Deule and John Schmidt both give their opinions on aiming systems (with a lively debate in the rest of that thread on the topic)

In other words, welcome to the site and to the wonderful world of pool. That's what makes this game so special, there are a hundred ways to get the job done and each person is entitled to find the one they like the best.

Happy shooting! Play well!

Tramp Steamer

One Pocket enthusiast.
Silver Member
I too, say welcome to the site.
Your question was a good one, but also one that hits a sore spot for many of our members.
You're too young to remember the CTE war of a few years back (sometimes referred to as the Great Aiming War), but it was brutal. Many died, and thousands were injured. I myself lost the use of my right arm for more than a year. Others suffered brain damage and were left in semi-vegetative states, drooling over their oatmeal. Oh, the humanity.
Time heals all wounds, they say, so now all we do is talk about tips, low deflection shafts, and ball polishing. :smile:

tim913

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think the ghost ball system is good for beginners...it provides a good reference point. I personally can't aim at something that is not there. I aim at the contact point on the object ball..I don't worry about contact point vs aiming point. I let my brain figure it out.It may not work at first, but your brain will make the necessary adjustments...it's an amazing tool!

DogsPlayingPool

"What's in your wallet?"
Silver Member
These are all excellent responses to a new member question on the aiming system topic. You fellas are an asset to the site, and that's what makes AZ special...

Yeah well, it's still early. Just wait. :grin-square:

I too, say welcome to the site.
Your question was a good one, but also one that hits a sore spot for many of our members.
You're too young to remember the CTE war of a few years back (sometimes referred to as the Great Aiming War), but it was brutal. Many died, and thousands were injured. I myself lost the use of my right arm for more than a year. Others suffered brain damage and were left in semi-vegetative states, drooling over their oatmeal. Oh, the humanity.
Time heals all wounds, they say, so now all we do is talk about tips, low deflection shafts, and ball polishing. :smile:

LMAO. ;)

michael4

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

LOL:grin-square:

Jeff_Gallaher

Registered
I hate to throw a wrench in your thread. If your a beginner i would first work on your base. Feet placement and allignment. Then i would work on a stroke repeatablity drill. Something similar to the drills on the Zero-X training. After fixing all that fun stuff you will know if your missing balls because your aim is bad or your stroke is bad.

336Robin

Multiverse Operative
Silver Member

Well I sell one but instead of trying to sell you mine I will lay out some things for you and you decide what you want to do.

I personally want to know where my contact point is.

From that point when you get to the place that you are making shots, then you can learn how to apply English which to me is the whole point and nothing but the point of this entire game.

I can do that. I play with English and there is no magical system that will give you that ability any better than first understanding the shot although some might make it easier to deal with.

Good luck on your decision.

Floppage

True Beginner
Silver Member
Eventually, it becomes natural and you know where to "hit" the shot as soon as you take a look at it. Thus, the folks that hate aiming systems are usually the "naturals" who can just look at an object ball and know precisely where to hit it. Maybe they were born with this gift, maybe from trial and error after shooting the mythical "million" balls, who knows for sure.

I think this is why so many really good players who later become instructors fall back on aiming systems. Their students ask them how to aim and they simply can't articulate what they actually do anymore. They have long since just learned how to hit every shot so they can't teach what they actually do to anyone. The result is they have to use something like the ghost ball method as a teaching aid.

My guess is that it's more accurate to say that you just use an aiming system until you don't need it anymore like training wheels on a bike.

336Robin

Multiverse Operative
Silver Member
Aiming Description

I think this is why so many really good players who later become instructors fall back on aiming systems. Their students ask them how to aim and they simply can't articulate what they actually do anymore. They have long since just learned how to hit every shot so they can't teach what they actually do to anyone. The result is they have to use something like the ghost ball method as a teaching aid.

My guess is that it's more accurate to say that you just use an aiming system until you don't need it anymore like training wheels on a bike.

The word System gets a bad name because of disconnection and complexity.

I dont do either of those. I make things very simple to understand for the exact reasons that you posted. I took a few lessons back in 2005 from a great player who lives local to me. He is a wealth of knowledge and he didnt advise me on aiming at all. I had to figure it out so I wrote it down the easiest way I could articulate it.

I dont think this game should be too complicated to understand and its not all the way up to spinning the ball. You just need to know how to explain things.

One of the biggest crimes committed to any starting out player are giving them entirely too much to deal with. Ive seen people who would make a good player unable to make a 2 diamond distance to the pocket shot, too much is too much.

Last edited:

SilverCue

Sir Raksalot
Silver Member
I started with ghost ball and eventually just saw the shots after a few year of playing.
I stopped playing for 16 years and when I came back I started with ghost ball.
I had to learn basics all over again, esp straight stroke, hitting the cue ball in the center and head arm alignment.
I then switched to contact point with visual alignment on the contact side of the cue ball.
Now I'm starting to see the shots again.
Last night I played for 2 1/2 hours against an APA 6 on a 9' with 4 1/4 pockets and never lost a game. :)

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member

Yes, I believe that is true. How do you tell someone to shoot this cut shot without knowing where to hit it ? They just don't have the ability to fire it off at the right spot, certainly not on a 9 foot table. It's a reference point.

No different than a catcher giving the pitcher a good target to throw his pitch. He needs something to "aim" for when pitching, and the better catchers give a better target.

And I'm sure there are stud pitchers that don't really need the "glove" as a target, cause they can just throw it where it needs to go just through repetition, their mind knows what they want to do, and does it.

336Robin

Multiverse Operative
Silver Member
I started with ghost ball and eventually just saw the shots after a few year of playing.
I stopped playing for 16 years and when I came back I started with ghost ball.
I had to learn basics all over again, esp straight stroke, hitting the cue ball in the center and head arm alignment.
I then switched to contact point with visual alignment on the contact side of the cue ball.
Now I'm starting to see the shots again.
Last night I played for 2 1/2 hours against an APA 6 on a 9' with 4 1/4 pockets and never lost a game. :)

The straight stroke and proper stance is essential. In my way of looking at things your aiming method should ask you to get in perfect, natural alignment to the shot as well. Approaching and setting up on a shot line is a very natural thing to do. How you perceive it can be complex or simple. I like simple and easy to do.

336Robin

Multiverse Operative
Silver Member
Target. Target, Target

Yes, I believe that is true. How do you tell someone to shoot this cut shot without knowing where to hit it ? They just don't have the ability to fire it off at the right spot, certainly not on a 9 foot table. It's a reference point.

No different than a catcher giving the pitcher a good target to throw his pitch. He needs something to "aim" for when pitching, and the better catchers give a better target.

And I'm sure there are stud pitchers that don't really need the "glove" as a target, cause they can just throw it where it needs to go just through repetition, their mind knows what they want to do, and does it.

You said it all. Target.

Incidentally I was a great pitcher. I wish I had been taller. The longer lever throws a faster and more solid pitch. I was using all the leverage I had as a short guy that was putting a lot of pressure on my arm.

A great way of looking at aiming is the result backwards approach and that is what I do, its natural, wholesome and delivers a great understanding.

peteypooldude

I see Edges
Silver Member
Using the words " aiming system" on here are equal to saying "Beetlejuice" three times.
No telling what's going to happen :eek:

BTW ...... Welcome to the forest .... Um I meant forum