Cuetec Bowtie Tip Shaper Tool

Clark_the_Shark

Has 9-Ball-itis
Silver Member
I was going to purchase just the little brass colored TipPik but was recommended to purchase this tool instead.

I have to say, for an all-in-one tool, it does its job pretty well. It has a shaper on one end, a scuffer on the other, and it unscrews in the middle to expose the sharp points.

It takes a second to unscrew, rather than just pulling a lid off like the TipPik, and it's a little thicker than a standard TipPik but still fits in the small pocket of your case just fine. I wouldn't carry it in your pocket because of its shape/size, but all in all, not too bad.

Last edited:

danquixote

DanQuixote
Silver Member
got me one too.......It is the only tool I carry with me......and I have owned several different ones.

the_general

I love Ivory.
Silver Member
i have one like it. a gift from a client. i sold my mezz tip tool because of it. i like the cuetec tip tool very much. :)

Exile

that definatly rolled....
Silver Member
best £7.99 i ever spent (actually is was a gift). I dont use the shaper or scuffer but the pointy bit is worth is weight in gold.

Bombproof construction, i'll be passing this tool onto my kids, when i have them...

hope it helps

gatorjoe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Got one as well I use the pick part and use my ultament tip tool for shaping but if any one needs a quick shape or scuff I let them use the cuetech tool so they don't wear down my other just wandering has any one else been asked if it was a crack pipe as well or is that just at where I play at

Big_H515

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
just wandering has any one else been asked if it was a crack pipe as well or is that just at where I play at

location, location, location. heh

I have one of these tools myself, and cannot give it enough praise. great investment.

Rotarded

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
just wandering has any one else been asked if it was a crack pipe as well or is that just at where I play at

"Dude, put your bowl away"

"Is that a one-hitter?"

Yup! I've had MANY comments in the year or so that I've had this tool.

nksmfamjp

Refugee...
Silver Member
I have this tool also. It is a great tip pik and a pretty good scuffed, but it is a terrible tip shaper in my opinion. These permanent tools always get ful of leather and are hard to clean. Basically, a tip tool needs to:
1. Rough shape
2. Fine shape to nickel or dime
3. Trim sides
4. Burnish sides
5. Pick, scuff, tap, roughen

no tool does it all, but this one is barely achieving 5. It does 2 until it clogs with leather. IMO save your money. An ultimate will get you close, but I have to ask, when will a truely do all 5 tool be developed?

McChen

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
here's a good way to clean these shapers when they clog. pour some sudsy ammonia into the concave shaper and let it sit for a few minutes. then use a toothbrush (i use an electric) to clean it. the ammonia really softens and loosens the buildup. it will be like new when you finish.

CUE-TOOLS.COM

We are CUE-TOOLS.COM
I have this tool also. It is a great tip pik and a pretty good scuffed, but it is a terrible tip shaper in my opinion. These permanent tools always get ful of leather and are hard to clean. Basically, a tip tool needs to:
1. Rough shape
2. Fine shape to nickel or dime
3. Trim sides
4. Burnish sides
5. Pick, scuff, tap, roughen

no tool does it all, but this one is barely achieving 5. It does 2 until it clogs with leather. IMO save your money. An ultimate will get you close, but I have to ask, when will a truely do all 5 tool be developed?
The hard parts about developing a 5 in 1 tool that you describe is #1 keeping the cost down and #2 it is hard to make a trimmer that the average do-it-yourselfer can use without causing damage to their ferrule. Once the tip is trimmed with a blade you still will need to sand it with several grades of fine sandpaper to make it smooth before burnishing it otherwise it can fray or if it's a layered tip the layers can separate. I am trying to create a tool that does it all but there are so many factors (Such as replaceable blades, making it accommodate various size tips, different tip thickness etc.) it is a difficult task.

CUE-TOOLS.COM

We are CUE-TOOLS.COM
Tip Tool Question

When it comes to tip tools there seems to be a 50/50 split on this forum between sandpaper and permanent grit. Sandpaper shapes better and clogs less (IMHO) that is why every cue maker and repair guy uses sandpaper to shape tips on a lathe.... but you do have to replace it from time to time. Permanent grit usually isn't too "permanent" and seems to clog with leather "build-up" and or gets dull over time. Most people love the Ultimate tool but don't love to replace the sandpaper. What are the things that bother you most about the current tip shapers on the market? The more feedback I get the better tools we can develop. I currently have tools that use sandpaper and or have machined "teeth" for shaping. If a company that sold these tools supplied extra sandpapers with each tool would that help? Maybe a supply of free sandpapers allotted to each dealer to give away to people that buy these tools from their stores? I know as a retail store owner I will gladly give every one of you free sandpaper inserts just to get you to walk into my store! Please feel free to comment or PM me. All feedback is welcome...good and bad! Help me help you! THANKS

8Ball48043

Addicted to the Sport
Silver Member
Here's a photo. In case anyone is interested.

Attachments

• Cuetec Bowtie.gif
    Cuetec Bowtie.gif
    19 KB · Views: 929

DirtyIrish

Not even close to the OGs
Silver Member
hmm I sell both "Tip-Pic" and "Bow Tie"

I was going to purchase just the little brass colored TipPik but was recommended to purchase this tool instead.

I have to say, for an all-in-one tool, it does its job pretty well. It has a shaper on one end, a scuffer on the other, and it unscrews in the middle to expose the sharp points.

It takes a second to unscrew, rather than just pulling a lid off like the TipPik, and it's a little thicker than a standard TipPik but still fits in the small pocket of your case just fine. I wouldn't carry it in your pocket because of its shape/size, but all in all, not too bad.

as my header says I sell Both and I sell what is the cheapest at the time,mostly-oh yeah for a few dollars more you can get a screw on cap (yes Virgina there is a Santa Clause) but that is not worth between $13 and 24
but for the rigjht price you can get anything
Irish

chefjeff

If not now...
Silver Member
The hard parts about developing a 5 in 1 tool that you describe is #1 keeping the cost down and #2 it is hard to make a trimmer that the average do-it-yourselfer can use without causing damage to their ferrule. Once the tip is trimmed with a blade you still will need to sand it with several grades of fine sandpaper to make it smooth before burnishing it otherwise it can fray or if it's a layered tip the layers can separate. I am trying to create a tool that does it all but there are so many factors (Such as replaceable blades, making it accommodate various size tips, different tip thickness etc.) it is a difficult task.

I know I'm a little late to this party, but how is it going with the tool?

Jeff Livingston

jviss

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When it comes to tip tools there seems to be a 50/50 split on this forum between sandpaper and permanent grit. Sandpaper shapes better and clogs less (IMHO) that is why every cue maker and repair guy uses sandpaper to shape tips on a lathe.... but you do have to replace it from time to time. Permanent grit usually isn't too "permanent" and seems to clog with leather "build-up" and or gets dull over time. Most people love the Ultimate tool but don't love to replace the sandpaper. What are the things that bother you most about the current tip shapers on the market? The more feedback I get the better tools we can develop. I currently have tools that use sandpaper and or have machined "teeth" for shaping. If a company that sold these tools supplied extra sandpapers with each tool would that help? Maybe a supply of free sandpapers allotted to each dealer to give away to people that buy these tools from their stores? I know as a retail store owner I will gladly give every one of you free sandpaper inserts just to get you to walk into my store! Please feel free to comment or PM me. All feedback is welcome...good and bad! Help me help you! THANKS

I'm new to all of this pool cue tip stuff, but not to engineering and metalworking. I'm rather fascinated with tool and fixture design and fabrication.

I took a look at your website and I'm impressed with your tools! I like Cube2, and that I'd get a RAW-Q Shaper free with my order. Combine that with the SHAFT-M8 conditioner and you have quite a package!