Ultraskin Tip Review>>>Soft-Medium-Hard

mattb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ultraskins

I have switched several shafts over to the softs and really like them for all games. I recently picked up an old Jensen and had a medium installed on one shaft and a soft on the other to do a comparison as both shafts are close in make up. The medium does feel good for banks as it allows for better stop or stun on the CB. Not bad at all.

I had a friend borrowing an old break cue of mine and he gave it back with a new HH ultraskin on it. I like it. Going to change my Gilbert JB over very soon.

I am sold on these tips. I turned my cue mechanic on to them and he is sold too. In all we have probably bought 100 plus of these tips.

Keep up the good work!

tsp&b

Silver Member
I think Tom called them HH for Heavy Hitter, or Hard Hitter, but I think he could have just named them XH. IMHO they are GREAT, very firm, they hold their shape well, can be used as a break tip or (if your customer likes a really firm hit) as a shooting tip. They hold chalk well, but just like any hard should be chalked often.

Snapshot9

son of 3 leg 1 eye dog ..
Silver Member
Tip

I appreciate all the reviews guys. I am going to have a cue made in a couple of months, and was going to put a Moori medium on one shaft, and an Ultraskin on the other. I like a medium hard tip, and didn't really know to get the Ultraskin medium or hard. I currently play with a Hervules medium hard layered tip. I like the Hercules tip, but was wanting to try something different.

Anybody have feedback of the Hercules tip vs. Ultraskin? I may just end up putting an Ultraskin on both shafts.

jkan101

jkan101
Silver Member
Tips

Tom,
I recently bought some for your tips. Just wanted to give you my opinion on them, installed very easily no problems whatsoever. I put a soft tip on my personal stick and was impressed. The hit was crisp and the cue ball responded very well to any english I put on the ball. Again Thanks

Joe

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have Ultraskin tips on 2 shafts.
For quite awhile I would miscue quite often (I do hit the cue ball with extreme english at times) I did everything I could think of to rough up the tip and nothing seemed to help.I was using Masters chalk. It got so bad that I would try to figure out how to get position not using extreme draw or spin.Probably more my fault then the tips fault. But that's how I play.
Then I was given some Triangle chalk and have been using it now for months and the miscues have all but disappeared.
Maybe its a mental thing. But now I have no fear of muscling up on a shot.

mattb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
HH and VS review

I put the HH on a Gilbert JB that had a Samsara before. I like the way it holds chalk and gives extra control, which is what I was looking for, but the "pop" is gone. It needs to be a touch harder or maybe I should have pressed it before the install. I will tinker with it. Maybe hit a few hundred racks or whittle it down a tad to see if I can get what I am looking for. The upside is that JB now plays fantastic.

I removed a S and had a VS installed on my gilbert player for a test. Both are very close in feel for me. I like it for games like 9 or 8 ball. If it hardens up just a touch like the S did, it may be perfect.

timothysoong

TS Billiards
Gold Member
Silver Member
Tried all the tips. VS, S, M, H, HH

They are all easy to install and they all holds chalk very well and grabs the cue ball pretty well too.

Tho, I could barely tell the difference between the VS and S.

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
I ordered some stuff from Seybert's and I needed to spend about six more dollars to get the free shipping, so I said "what the heck" and ordered an Ultraskin medium tip to make my order total $50. I finally got around to installing it on one of my custom cues the other day...and WOW, what a pleasant surprise! That tip is the best tip I have ever bought for the money ($6.95). Installed easily, plays great, holds chalk well, and so far, maintains its shape well. I refuse to say how well it moves the cue ball around...because personally, that's a matter of one's proficiency of the skills involved, but I will say that I was overly happy with the performance of this tip. I am definitely going to be buying and using a lot more of these tips in the future!!!

Great product!!! Five out of five stars!!!

Maniac

Last edited:

TakeAflyer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
so the pro tip is softer than the VS . I'm using a S right now and seems a little hard for me . I wanted to order 10 i was thinking of getting 5 of both. but i want the softer of the two

Last edited:

TomHay

Best Tips For Less
Gold Member
Silver Member
so the pro tip is softer than the VS . I'm using a S right now and seems a little hard for me . I wanted to order 10 i was thinking of getting 5 of both. but i want the softer of the two

The PRO is very unique. The Feel is like a Medium, the grip and juice is like a super soft.

If the soft "Feels" hard to you the VS might be a better fit.

Seeds230

Review of install and customer comments

Before I start, a little back ground; I started installing tips for myself and friends 3 years ago, and we all used triangles or elk masters. Last year I decided to try the layered tips and a shop I stopped in to ask about them had 2 snipers and installed them while I tried out some break cues. Last month I decided it was time to replace one of them because it was getting a little thin. When studying up on installing layered tips after it arrived I read about the ultra skins, thought its worth the price to try.

I just received an order of 12 tips two weeks ago. That week I Installed a vs for a player that wanted " the softest tip you have." The tip was easier to install than the triangle and elk master tips. When it came to shaping with a razor knife, I was surprised at the lack of deflection in the tip, when compared to the sniper tip I'd done the week before on my personal cue. The sniper was the first layered tip I've installed myself, and I ordered it out of familiarity before I'd read about the ultra skins.

The customer came to me with a tip-less shaft after our next league night, causing my heart to sink, before stating he loves the vs tip and this shaft was for his wife's cue, and she wanted a soft. Installation of the soft was a little smoother feel than the vs, and I'm starting to hope more people will ask for the ultra skins.

This week, one of my team mates, (our anchor that is shooting lights out) asked if he could have a pro-soft after we discussed the previous installs. The leather in this tip cut and shaped like a dream for this rookie installer. He hasn't had the opportunity to shoot with it yet, but if it feels as good shooting as it did cutting, his review may lead to me placing a large order soon. ( he's very outgoing about gear, a solid shooter, and a hi review from him could lead to people jumping to try an affordable layered tip)

I believe the biggest reason for the installs getting progressively smoother is the gradual improvement in my abilities, as the tips layers all appear to be of high quality and consistency.

Just the way these tips feel when installing has lead to my decision to cut the sniper off my back-up shaft, even though it would probably last the summer, and try a pro soft myself.

I will post a follow up on my experience, as well as customer feed back when I can run into them and ask what their thoughts are.

ZeroSkylineX

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just installed an Ultraskin medium on my shaft, got rid of my Kamui medium black but left the clear pad on. Never seen anyone else do this before and figured I'd share, results turned out great. No one can tell the difference now haha.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1438682639287.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1438682639287.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 1,177