early '40s war-time Hoppe Pro

runscott

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm curious what this solid plastic (no seam) ring is - I'm guessing it's for i.d.: it's sort of soft, but pressed into the leather grip solidly. 2/3 of it is over the leather, 1/3 over the bottom of the splice. Stamped along the top is: 'PAT. JAN.28,13' It has what appears to be a crumpled piece of yellowed paper beneath it - I can only read "Please" on it.

Has anyone else seen a cue with one of these bands? I've seen a couple with metal versions, but not plastic.

Attachments

• HP-WarDtl.jpg
    HP-WarDtl.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 522
  • HP-WarDtl2.jpg
    HP-WarDtl2.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 522

Mr. Bond

Orbis Non Sufficit
Gold Member
Silver Member
It's a clear plastic band made to be slipped onto your cue, as you said, for identification purposes or whatever other information you'd like to put on it. (Weight etc) The idea was that you could slip a piece of paper underneath it with your name and contact info etc, without putting any permanent marks on the cue.

It was patented, as it says, in January of 1913 by a gentleman named Frank Sherman.

Perhaps the word "please" was originally part of the phrase "if found please contact xxxxx"....

Last edited:

Mr. Bond

Orbis Non Sufficit
Gold Member
Silver Member
I came across this a while back - and since we're on the subject - I figured I would throw it out there for those interested...

1941 Hoppe Trademark.PNG

runscott

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for the info on the i.d. ring, and also for posting that 'Willie Hoppe' trademark info - that is great information to have, but I'm almost certain that this latter version wasn't used until later. Given how many cues are available with the older version, it's hard to believe they began using it in 1941 and abandoned it for the newer version that you show, in September of the same year.

It would be great to see similar trademark information for the earlier version. My guess is that it will have almost the same date. Maybe the trademark you show was registered in 1941, but not actually used until 1942 or 1943? (even though it says Sept, '41).

Last edited:

runscott

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here's one for 'Titlist'

Typed Drawing

Word Mark TITLIST
Goods and Services (EXPIRED) IC 028. US 022. G & S: BILLIARD CUES. FIRST USE: 19410930. FIRST USE IN COMMERCE: 19410930
Mark Drawing Code (1) TYPED DRAWING
Serial Number 71463566
Filing Date September 22, 1943
Current Basis 1A
Original Filing Basis 1A
Registration Number 0405193
Registration Date January 11, 1944
Owner (LAST LISTED OWNER) BRUNSWICK-BALKE-COLL COMPANY, THE DELAWARE. CHICAGO, ILL.
Assignment Recorded ASSIGNMENT RECORDED
Type of Mark TRADEMARK
Register PRINCIPAL
Affidavit Text SECT 12C. SECT 15.
Live/Dead Indicator DEAD

runscott

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
...and an example of another cue, almost exactly like mine, and also with the i.d. tag, only placed a bit lower (thanks, Joe!)

brunswick-q1607.jpg

Mr. Bond

Orbis Non Sufficit
Gold Member
Silver Member
Thanks for the info on the i.d. ring, and also for posting that 'Willie Hoppe' trademark info - that is great information to have, but I'm almost certain that this latter version wasn't used until later. Given how many cues are available with the older version, it's hard to believe they began using it in 1941 and abandoned it for the newer version that you show, in September of the same year.

It would be great to see similar trademark information for the earlier version. My guess is that it will have almost the same date. Maybe the trademark you show was registered in 1941, but not actually used until 1942 or 1943? (even though it says Sept, '41).

It's likely that there was only one trademark filed for that Hoppe logo, even though there were some slight changes to it over the years.

It looks like they finally got around to filing it in 48', and retroactively claimed its first use as having been in 41'. This would explain slightly different versions having been used prior and after...

The trademark apparently got final 'approval' for registration in 50'.

runscott

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's likely that there was only one trademark filed for that Hoppe logo, even though there were some slight changes to it over the years.

It looks like they finally got around to filing it in 48', and retroactively claimed its first use as having been in 41'. This would explain slightly different versions having been used prior and after...

The trademark apparently got final 'approval' for registration in 50'.

That makes complete sense. It was great seeing your post, but after the thrill of new information wears off, I start getting greedy for more :)

Thanks again.

Mr. Bond

Orbis Non Sufficit
Gold Member
Silver Member
Tweeten apparently sold the plastic I.D. bands...called "Berol Bands"
[This is an ad from 1929]
The name typed in the ad says "miss cue" lol

1929 Berol Bands.jpg

runscott

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here's something a friend sent, from a 1922 Brunswick catalog:

Attachments

• Brunswick1922.JPG
    Brunswick1922.JPG
    87.3 KB · Views: 421

xplor

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
These bands are like the type used at the St. Nicholas hotel billiard room to identify cues they kept for local businesses men.

BBC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think you hit it right on the head, players kept their cues at their favorite Billiard room/ club back on the day.

Today golfers do the same with their clubs today, the ID band has additional information and works if a club is left on the course.

You wonder if the company who patented the ID ring made them for golf clubs?

Regards,

Joe

book collector

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Frank Sherman was a champion pool player in the early 1900s.
Probably the same person but it will take more research to make sure.