• Wood, not low deflection

Votes: 45 37.2%
  • Something else

Votes: 2 1.7%

• Total voters

skip100

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
there's an interesting dynamic with the most serious players - on one hand, many of them want the latest and greatest equipment and are convinced by the benefits of low deflection shafts, especially for rotation games. On the other hand, if you are a cue collector then you're probably not going to be excited about using a high-tech but one-size-fits-all production shaft on the custom you spent a bunch of money having built to your exact specifications.

erhino41

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I voted wood LD but someone said my McDermott G-Core is not an LD shaft.

Can anyone honestly say that they have gotten better switching to a CF shaft? If they have less deflection then you must change what you are doing vs the shaft you took off of your cue I would guess. I have several cues, a couple G-Core shafts, a 314-2, and a few wood shafts from different builders, I use them all and I dont really need to change my aim using english, what gives??
The g core McDermott shafts are great hitting shafts. They are lower deflection than my heavy and stiff old growth maple shaft, I would not call them ld though. I've played many other people's cues with g core shafts and always like them a whole lot.

I've pretty much been only using this one in any serious manner for the last twenty years. I've had several ld shafts over the years for research purposes, always gladly go back to old reliable. If I ever had to permanently switch for some unforseen reason, a g core would be top of the list.

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

erhino41

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
One piece maple ultra-low deflection (custom 10mm hollow tip with conical taper).

After using this shaft for 20 or so years the thought of needing to adapt to something else terrifies me. A "normal" sized tip looks like a baseball bat and seems to squirt into the next zip code.

pj
chgo
I'm a big proponent of picking a shaft and sticking with it. You will learn the idiosyncrasies of that shaft and understand exactly how to adjust for every possible situation 100 percent of the time, with enough practice.

I see a lot good players switching equipment and not playing up to the level I've seen them play before. It seems to me that constantly changing shafts can be confusing even to a great player. Your bound to come to situations where close enough doesn't cut it and your lack of intimate knowledge of the shaft on your hands will let you down.

A top pro came into my home room right after the revos came out. He was going on and on about how great the shaft was and how it had almost zero deflection, of course he was willing to part with it for a good sum of money. Regardless of what he said, watching him play with that shaft, he was not in top form from what I've seen in the past. Not to say he played poorly, far from it, but you could definitely tell he needed practice time with that shaft.

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

pooldawg8

My Pride and Joy
Gold Member
Silver Member
I like wood shafts. no low deflection, just not my cup of tea. I`ve tried Mezz, McDermott I3 & I2, Tiger, Predator & maybe a few others I can`t think of at this time. I liked a few of them but always went back to good old wood shafts that cue makers use while making my cue. Just my 0.2 cents worth

scsuxci

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ive been using the prime m 12.0 and the Fury 12.5 cf shaft. Both these shafts play incredibly well.