Top 10 PROPOSITION SHOTS (that all pool players should know)

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Fun stuff! I have learned to never take a proposition bet in a pool hall. Thanks for the confirmation. But now I know how some are done.
Now if somebody propositions you with one of these shots, you can "turn the tables" on them.

Regards,
Dave

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Here's the video frame showing the CB/OB contact with the undercut (indicated by the after-contact CB path).

pj
chgo

View attachment 534754
I tried the shot some more today along this line with the full hit, and I couldn't get it to work on my table. If I hit it a hair too full, the CB double-kissed the ball immediately. If I hit it a little too thin, the CB double kissed the ball off the side rail. When I avoided the double kisses, the OB banked short (probably as a result of a double kiss too difficult to see). I also tried different amounts of side, follow, and speed.

Has anybody else tried the challenge shot? If so, were you able to pocket all three balls?

Thanks,
Dave

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
I tried the shot some more today along this line with the full hit, and I couldn't get it to work on my table. If I hit it a hair too full, the CB double-kissed the ball immediately. If I hit it a little too thin, the CB double kissed the ball off the side rail. When I avoided the double kisses, the OB banked short (probably as a result of a double kiss too difficult to see). I also tried different amounts of side, follow, and speed.
I'm still not entirely sure the video you posted didn't kiss - the video frames (below) might show the CB changing course slightly as it passes the 2... too blurry to be sure.

I suppose that's "legal" regardless...

pj
chgo

shotb.jpg

Last edited:

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
I'm still not entirely sure the video you posted didn't kiss - the video frames (below) might show the CB changing course slightly as it passes the 2... too blurry to be sure.
Maybe that's why the shot is so tough, because the timing and amount of the kiss need to be near perfect for both the banked ball and CB to react properly.

Although, maybe on some tables, at some angle, some speed, and some amount of spin, the bank and kick will go without the double kiss.

Thank you for your efforts.

Have you tried the shot yet? If you do, please report what you experience.

Thanks,
Dave

Last edited:

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... If you get it to work, please post a video.
I managed to do it about the same as in the linked video. The object ball passes first. On the table I was playing on, the cushion returned the cue ball too quickly, so I moved the OBs away from the pocket a little and adjusted the ball nearest the pocket out a little to keep the bank on. Plain follow and fairly thin on the banked ball.

The cue ball was coming from about the second diamond as in the video.

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
I managed to do it about the same as in the linked video. The object ball passes first. On the table I was playing on, the cushion returned the cue ball too quickly, so I moved the OBs away from the pocket a little and adjusted the ball nearest the pocket out a little to keep the bank on. Plain follow and fairly thin on the banked ball.

The cue ball was coming from about the second diamond as in the video.
Thanks for the info. That’s a lot of “fiddling.”

It sounds like you couldn’t avoid the kiss either (without the ball fiddling).

Regards,
Dave

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
It looks like there's room for the CB to go closer to the end rail with more inside spin...
Remember, the CB still needs to kick across the table to pocket the 9 (while avoiding the rail balls and the points on the opposite corner).

Regards,
Dave

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Thanks for the info. That’s a lot of “fiddling.”

It sounds like you couldn’t avoid the kiss either (without the ball fiddling).

Regards,
Dave
Maybe there is a location for the cue ball and a fullness of hit that avoids the kiss for the nominal position. I was only willing to spend 40 minutes or so trying to find a combination of factors that would work:

position of cue ball
fullness of hit
side spin
speed
amount of follow

I suppose one way out of the kiss is to jump over the banked ball. I kind of did that unintentionally one time.

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Nicely done by Tim, although the CB's path isn't as curvy as he drew it - it goes crosstable in a pretty straight line.

I guess the steeper angle moves the banked ball out of the way faster - looks like you were onto it, Dave!

pj
chgo

View attachment 534819
Nice analysis. I agree. Although, I still wonder how the other guy was able to avoid a worse double kiss in his video. Maybe it has something to do with the stiffness of the cushions.

Thanks again for your graphics work,
Dave

freds

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Although, I still wonder how the other guy was able to avoid a worse double kiss in his video.

That was me, and Bob could be right - I think the cue might have taken a little hop off the cushion and jumped a bit to clear the 2. I wasn't trying with any rigor, so not sure what I was doing. I tried again on the other side of the table (away from the 500 degree wood stove) and got more kisses; could be the cue sank deeper into the warm rubber?

In any case, the shot in the video by Tim C. is a a lot nicer looking. :smile:

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
That was me, and Bob could be right - I think the cue might have taken a little hop off the cushion and jumped a bit to clear the 2. I wasn't trying with any rigor, so not sure what I was doing. I tried again on the other side of the table (away from the 500 degree wood stove) and got more kisses; could be the cue sank deeper into the warm rubber?

In any case, the shot in the video by Tim C. is a a lot nicer looking. :smile:
Thank you for posting ... both the video and your follow-up report.

Regards,
Dave