Would you play this break ball?

CueAndMe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
And would you play it against Thorsten Hohmann? Jeanette Lee's got...
well...
guts! And skills. I didn't even think it went, but she actually overcut it!

Screenshot - 11_16_2017 , 5_39_05 PM.jpg

Screenshot - 11_16_2017 , 5_40_29 PM.jpg

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The problem with that shot is you have to hit it so hard that a ball or balls with come out of the stack and hit the break ball.
Been there and done that.
And no I would play a safe.

CueAndMe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The problem with that shot is you have to hit it so hard that a ball or balls with come out of the stack and hit the break ball.
Been there and done that.
And no I would play a safe.

Right. While she was getting into position, I was trying to figure out what safety she was playing? Then she hit the shot. It looked like a 90 degree cut. And it had enough speed to get to the pocket.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
For Jeannette to beat Thorsten, she HAS to go for that shot.
...she’s gotta keep him in his chair.

CueAndMe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For Jeannette to beat Thorsten, she HAS to go for that shot.
...she’s gotta keep him in his chair.

Maybe, but I've seen Thorsten play some questionable safeties over the years. He's a god, but if there's any weakness, it might be safety play.

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
99% of my 14.1 is practicing alone and I don't play safe. That attitude carries over to the infrequent occasions when I play against an opponent.

I'd probably shoot it and not like the outcome.

Straightpool_99

I see dead balls
Silver Member
Howdya hit it, David?

:bow-down:

If I was to play the breakshot, the above is the way I'd try to do it. It still a fairly low percentage (for straight pool), but at least if you hit the right spot, you'll make it.

Cutting it, there are just too many things that can go wrong. I've seen the ball roll off, or more frequently other balls directly come out of the rack and hit it. No way I'm shooting that shot, though, I feel I can make the cut most of the time.

CueAndMe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I learned something from a similar situation that came up during last night's practice session. I had a slightly less severe cut than Jeanette Lee's but not only was the break ball closer to the rack, it was also in a position where the cue ball after collision would contact the rack on the underside of a ball (4-ball in pics) rather than the middle or top of a ball. The break ball was on its way to the pocket but the cue ball, which had more speed, chased it down-table and interfered. So perhaps a break ball in a position just half of an inch higher or an inch or so lower might have allowed the cue ball to stay put and not interfere. Good to know for next time!

Screenshot - 11_22_2017 , 2_49_28 PM.jpg

Screenshot - 11_22_2017 , 2_50_08 PM.jpg

john coloccia

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm a very aggressive 14.1 player....FAR more aggressive than my actual ability. I lose a lot because of it. I'd play it all day long against a weak opponent that can't reliably run 10 or more balls. I'd play safe against Thorsten.

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
you have to be kidding
i didn't even think it would go

if i made a shotlike that i would lose my spot
what could be worse than that"

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
I'm a very aggressive 14.1 player....FAR more aggressive than my actual ability. I lose a lot because of it. I'd play it all day long against a weak opponent that can't reliably run 10 or more balls. I'd play safe against Thorsten.

To me, this is backwards....if you’re playing a weaker player, play safe....
...if you don’t think you can win the safety battle, maybe you aren’t the better player.

To beat a superior player, you have to play aggressive.

pt...years of giving up big spots at snooker...the ones that tried to outsmart me were the
biggest losers.

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Dear PT

why would you want to play a superior player?

those are the guys who rob me

dean

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Dear PT

why would you want to play a superior player?

those are the guys who rob me

dean

If you’re in a tournament, Dean, your opponent is not of your choosing....
...you might in fact be a 5-1 underdog....but that means you should win one in six...
...in actuality, that underdog might lose 20 matches in a row because of timidity.
.....an underdog should play extra aggressive...he ain’t gonna out move the guy.

In gambling, at 9-ball and snooker, I have given up some horrendous spots....and won.
...if the guy had’ve started blasting, I would’ve had to quit.
..timidity has put a lotta money in my pocket.

Conversely, I have seen good players lose giving big weight, because they were too
anxious to get the balls off the table...when you’re the best player, you can force mistakes.

In reviewing this post.....I realize I sound like I know it all...
...could you lend me $4 for a sandwich? :eek:

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
the shot itself is too thin for me
plus i lack the courage to shoot something this difficut

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The correct 14.1 play on this shot is a safety - unless you are not really serious about playing the game correctly. Every shot attempt or safety play in world class 14.1 MUST be in anticipation of a game closing run out by your opponent -if you miss the shot or play a bad safe. Your thought process is NOT that you are playing the present rack of balls on the table, like some other pool games; you really should be thinking that you are playing the entire match on each attempt in terms of strategy, simply because any world class 14.1 player has 150 point run ability at any given time. In this case, the shot % is probably 50% for a pro player, so you do NOT shoot it - especially with the rack breaking result if you miss! Two things to keep in mind- try to never leave the table to your opponent on a missed shot or bad safe, secondly, 14.1 is as much a game of " knowing what you don't do" as it is a game of shotmaking.