Rhea the new Chapter, without Gene

Charlie Hustle

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Words of wisdom I've never heard stated that way. A B player playing against pro speed will rarely, if ever, get enough weight.

Race to 9, 5 on the wire, 4 and out and the breaks - that might be fair.

Im a B speed player. I played Max Eberle getting 4 on the wire going to 8, and the last 3. After playing abour 7-8 hours, I was only stuck 1 set. So it is possible to hang with/beat a pro.

iba7467

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Im a B speed player. I played Max Eberle getting 4 on the wire going to 8, and the last 3. After playing abour 7-8 hours, I was only stuck 1 set. So it is possible to hang with/beat a pro.

Charlie, I believe you are a strong B speed player. There is a huge difference between B and C level players. You cannot even compare a player who can break and run 1 out of 8 to a player who can break and run 1 out of 50.

As I understand it Rhea is just above my level. I could not play Max with anything less than break, ball in hand, and a number of wild balls or last 5. When a player does not consistently run four balls many good players win giving the out-of-rotation game. Again there is a HUGE difference between B and C players.

I agree with Gene and a few others. There is almost no way Rhea can beat Joey Gray.

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
The problem with trying to clock people over distance is everyone is in a different time zone.

jimmyg

Mook! What's a Mook?
Silver Member
I watched Ginky give a C player the 1 through 9, yes, every ball, but Ginky got all the breaks. Ginky won...easily. If he broke dry, the C player never saw daylight, if he made a ball, Ginky ran out.

Against a strong C or a B, who knows? If someone can kick pretty well and also get lucky with the leaves, maybe.

J

TheLoneSilencer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I watched Ginky give a C player the 1 through 9, yes, every ball, but Ginky got all the breaks. Ginky won...easily. If he broke dry, the C player never saw daylight, if he made a ball, Ginky ran out.

Against a strong C or a B, who knows? If someone can kick pretty well and also get lucky with the leaves, maybe.

J

Now that is strong!

TheLoneSilencer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Last night I made a mistake. But I learned a lesson from it. I played a very well known champion a $150 set with not enough weight for a fair chance but it did put me in my place and might get me a little more action while I am here. Anyway I have a match today with a strong local girl and the steak horse that backed joey gray against me last night will be steaking this lady tonight. From the gossip this match is going to be super tough both ways so I am going to have to give it my best go.

I wish you the best of luck but for your sake, stay far away from players of that speed. I don't care what you say your game is at currently, no game exists that you could get that in which you would actually win.

You are better off working your way up to someone like that unless they want to play for free which it would not hurt.

Plus biting off a big fish is not the smartest way of getting action. Clearly you have a lot to learn in terms of how & when to get action & when to back off for a better opportunity.

scratchs

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Merry Christmas Rhea..I hope you are with friends or family today , an not just hanging out in a motel room..been there a few times an it sucks..
best of wishs to you for the New year too.

Jaden

"no buds chill"
Silver Member
Either Max was off or.....

Either Max was having a bad day or you were getting out with the spot he gave you.

Like I said, playing guys that speed requires that you can get out 90+% of the time with the spot you get. Combine that with enough games on the wire and it can make a difference, otherwise you are screwed.

Jaden

nobcitypool

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Gambling with a player the caliber of Joey Grey doesnt bode well for your chances of future success. That's not gambling, that's giving your money away. If you want to pay for a lesson, work out the terms and just do it.

prad

Flip the coin
Silver Member
Either Max was having a bad day or you were getting out with the spot he gave you.

Like I said, playing guys that speed requires that you can get out 90+% of the time with the spot you get. Combine that with enough games on the wire and it can make a difference, otherwise you are screwed.

Jaden

IMO don't play a pro player with a motive of winning money from them unless you play a ball or two under their speed. Due to their experience and seasoning they can give you a "spot" that might look good on paper to your "untrained" eyes and you still can find yourself on the loosing end.
Most of the time pros are nice enough to play very cheap, try to play them something cheap to really know where your game stands. When you watch them playing perfect and looking really loose then you start to appreciate how much better they are from your average A player. At least by doing it cheaper you are not hurting your pocket.
Having said that if you do want to match up with a pro or even like with a lot better player the one thing that you must do is "take the break" away from them. Usually for a pro player spotting you last 4 balls isint a big deal cuz usually they are suppose to run out in that situation.

Charlie Hustle

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Jaden

Max was playing well. He had just got thru crushing the 9 ball, then the 10 ball ghost. That's when I said fvck it, I have a better chance playing him myself. The key for me was to win the first game. Its a great feeling moving your coin over the side pocket and starting a set 5-0. Obviously from that point he had to beat me 8-3. On the sets that he won the first 1 or 2 games, it made it extremely hard on me to keep it close or win. Id play again the same way, I don't think either one of us is stealing.

Also forgot to add, When I initially asked Max how he would match up with a B player for $100 a set, he said "no B player has ever asked me to gamble" ; )

Last edited:

Jaden

"no buds chill"
Silver Member
were you getting out with that pot 90%???

Max was playing well. He had just got thru crushing the 9 ball, then the 10 ball ghost. That's when I said fvck it, I have a better chance playing him myself. The key for me was to win the first game. Its a great feeling moving your coin over the side pocket and starting a set 5-0. Obviously from that point he had to beat me 8-3. On the sets that he won the first 1 or 2 games, it made it extremely hard on me to keep it close or win. Id play again the same way, I don't think either one of us is stealing.

Also forgot to add, When I initially asked Max how he would match up with a B player for $100 a set, he said "no B player has ever asked me to gamble" ; )

I bet that set you were getting out 90%...and or hitting your safes 90%...

that's the key with matching up against top players. You have to get a spot that you're going to get out 90+% or you have no chance, sometimes even if you do, you still have no chance.

Jaden

Charlie Hustle

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I bet that set you were getting out 90%...and or hitting your safes 90%...

that's the key with matching up against top players. You have to get a spot that you're going to get out 90+% or you have no chance, sometimes even if you do, you still have no chance.

Jaden

Im not sure about 90% of the time but I was playing in my top gear. Obviously going back and forth all night, you have to be against a player of Max' caliber. Merry Christmas brother.

Jaden

"no buds chill"
Silver Member
You too...

Im not sure about 90% of the time but I was playing in my top gear. Obviously going back and forth all night, you have to be against a player of Max' caliber. Merry Christmas brother.

Merry Christmas to you too... None of that happy holidays stuff. Anyone's welcome to wish me Happy Chanaka or even Kwanza, but I'll wish everyone a Merry Christmas...

Jaden

bmsclayton

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
better

Last night I made a mistake. But I learned a lesson from it. I played a very well known champion a $150 set with not enough weight for a fair chance but it did put me in my place and might get me a little more action while I am here. Anyway I have a match today with a strong local girl and the steak horse that backed joey gray against me last night will be steaking this lady tonight. From the gossip this match is going to be super tough both ways so I am going to have to give it my best go.

you must be playing a lot better as we used to play about even. Chip and Joey gave me the 5,7 break and beat me out of 21 games. I kept hooking them and they kept kicking balls in. It was like a nightmare.

jamesroberts

"Unheralded Amateur"
Silver Member
I agree with John Barton, there is always a spot available that makes it gambling and from what it sounds like they were playing super cheap. Someone trying to improve should play people like Joey Gray cheap, not to get their head kicked in but to see how to play the correct way, how to play shape etc.