The "why" of the success of CTE and the coaching of Stan Shuffett

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I see the CTE crowd has just not been getting enough attention lately, lol.

Lou Figueroa

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What all this tells me is that 4,000 buyers (x2) wasted their money on DVDs that no longer represent what they thought and never worked in the first place.

Lou Figueroa

jokrswylde

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I will wiegh in. The advantage of a solid system like cte or similar is your confidence goes up because once the system is learned, consistancy goes up. Thus you are not focusing so much on pocketing the ball but shift to what you want to do with the cueball. The stroke also improves because you can let the cue go knowing the ball is going in. This unleashes more possibilities of position play.

Sent from my LM-Q710(FGN) using Tapatalk

Hey thanks for the reply. I have tried to follow some YT videos on CTE, just can't get it to make sense with all the different info out there. Anyway, I guess when it comes to things like speed control and positioning, it really does come down to HAMB.

born2push

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hey thanks for the reply. I have tried to follow some YT videos on CTE, just can't get it to make sense with all the different info out there. Anyway, I guess when it comes to things like speed control and positioning, it really does come down to HAMB.
Cte brings you to the shot line. Adjustment for english is required at times on any aiming system. This can be accomplished with a deminished pivot. Check out lil chris My take on cte on yt

Boxcar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Cte brings you to the shot line. Adjustment for english is required at times on any aiming system. This can be accomplished with a deminished pivot. Check out lil chris My take on cte on yt

How is the adjustment made?

born2push

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How is the adjustment made?
How do you adjust for english when you aim? I think it depends on a few variables. The type of shaft, the speed of the shot, and the contact point on the cb. I normally pivot from closer to ccb when applying english.

Boxcar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How do you adjust for english when you aim? I think it depends on a few variables. The type of shaft, the speed of the shot, and the contact point on the cb. I normally pivot from closer to ccb when applying english.

OK, so you adjust your bridge hand closer to the CB?

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member

OK, so you adjust your bridge hand closer to the CB?

I would imagine pivot aimers just stop the pivot or sweep a little short of ccb or extend it a little beyond ccb, basically incorporating bhe into the pivot or sweep. If born2push is saying he makes the adjustments by moving his bridge hand closer or farther from the cb, then that's a bit unusual.

Boxcar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would imagine pivot aimers just stop the pivot or sweep a little short of ccb or extend it a little beyond ccb, basically incorporating bhe into the pivot or sweep. If born2push is saying he makes the adjustments by moving his bridge hand closer or farther from the cb, then that's a bit unusual.

I didn't understand what Born2push said, but I am genuinely interested in his reply. I'm just not smart enough to figure out how to make the move from a pivot to center over to a bottom right/left or top right/left strike without losing the perception. Is it, as you suggest, cooked in or is it another adjustment requiring a reset? I just don't understand.

born2push

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I didn't understand what Born2push said, but I am genuinely interested in his reply. I'm just not smart enough to figure out how to make the move from a pivot to center over to a bottom right/left or top right/left strike without losing the perception. Is it, as you suggest, cooked in or is it another adjustment requiring a reset? I just don't understand.
A helpful tip. Don't place your bridge hand on the felt until you perform the pivot. Once you have the perception of the shot the bend straight down. While keeping your perception glance down at the pivot point lining up your cue tip from that point to the aim point on ob. Then just pivot to center cb. There are vids on youtube showing how to adjust for english. Reguardless of how you get to the shot line. With a traditional shaft you just pivot over to apply english. With ld shaft you move the entire cue over (in parrallel line)to the desired point.

stockbob55

Registered
Re:

If you are using BHE, FHE or a combination of both you need to be on the shot line before making an adjustment for english/side spin.
So what I did whilst learning cte was to do a 1/2 tip pivot to the shot line first then adjust for side spin as needed.
Once you get used to the method it can be simplified on some shots.
ie. If your perception calls for a 1/2 tip left sweep to center but you need a half tip of left english with BHE then you are already on the shot line.

Boxcar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
BC21, Born2push, and Stock,

Thank you for your replies.

I keep coming back to one almost tangential, but related question that won't go away. Is there a statistical difference between the efficacy of a parallel strike vs. a pivoted strike?
Regardless of traditional shaft or LD shaft, is one angle of attack more likely to produce squirt than the other?

Thank you.

stockbob55

Registered

I keep coming back to one almost tangential, but related question that won't go away. Is there a statistical difference between the efficacy of a parallel strike vs. a pivoted strike?
Regardless of traditional shaft or LD shaft, is one angle of attack more likely to produce squirt than the other?

Thank you.

This is not directed at you personally.
Why must there always be a choice between one method or another.
When I learned to play snooker everyone said that parallel was the only way to go.
Normal deflection cues were the norn. Adjust for angle speed and spin, practice.
Then when I moved to USA and played pool people were using pivots for English so I tried that method as well.
I use both in my game today, which one I use will depend on the situation. I have a preference for using parallel English on longer slower shots for example.

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member

Thank you.

Not really. The cb will squirt to the side anytime it is struck off center because the mass of the cue pushes it that way as the tip moves across the rotating surface of the ball. Luckily the shaft flexes and deflects away from the cb. If not the cb would have extreme squirt because with no shaft deflection the cb is deflected near 100%. It squirts less with LD shafts because the mass of the cb is more prominent against the lighter end mass of the ld shaft.

Same as stockbob55 posted, I use both methods, and it's a situational thing.

Boxcar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is not directed at you personally.
Why must there always be a choice between one method or another.
When I learned to play snooker everyone said that parallel was the only way to go.
Normal deflection cues were the norn. Adjust for angle speed and spin, practice.
Then when I moved to USA and played pool people were using pivots for English so I tried that method as well.
I use both in my game today, which one I use will depend on the situation. I have a preference for using parallel English on longer slower shots for example.

I wasn't suggesting that a player had to make a choice. I was asking if one approach was likely to alter the desired outcome more than the other approach. Both you and BC21 seem confident that, given the proper circumstances, outcomes should not be negatively affected using either method. Both of your replies should offer great comfort to those of us who may be, shall we say, a little "set in our ways."

Thank you very much.

born2push

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I wasn't suggesting that a player had to make a choice. I was asking if one approach was likely to alter the desired outcome more than the other approach. Both you and BC21 seem confident that, given the proper circumstances, outcomes should not be negatively affected using either method. Both of your replies should offer great comfort to those of us who may be, shall we say, a little "set in our ways."

Thank you very much.
I belive it was dr. Dave billiard instructor that noted the approach for applying english on standard vrs ld shafts. The difference is on ld shaft you get less squirt so your aim line is a little different. On longer shots the english tends to have less throw on ob so a parallel shift still works. The simular concept of how much low english you need to stop the cue ball is more on longer shots. When you just pivot it changes your aim line slightly but the squirt brings the cue ball back in line. Of course practice still is required to see how your cue will react.