Question on balls

white1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
IF, I decide to spend 350ish.....aramith or cyclops/why?

IF, I don’t wanna spend but 200 ish, best set?
Thx

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
IF, I decide to spend 350ish.....aramith or cyclops/why?...
In the past Cyclop has had a problem with balls being off-center so for slow shots with the ball turned with the heavy side to one side, the ball will roll off to that side. The problem seems to have persisted for at least a year. I don't know what the current status is -- I think you have to test every ball in a set at this point.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Duramith (Aramith Tournament) at the $$$ end.
I will second this recommendation - Aramith tournament. Good news is with an apparent drop in demand due to all of this going on, looks like Seyberts has had a drastic price drop for this set. I could swear it used to be listed for well over $300!

9ball5032

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Aramith Tournament if money is no object.

I bought a set of Cyclop Zeus (skittle balls) after liking the colors, playing with them, and the consensus on the forum was that they stayed clean longer. I am very happy with them.

Last edited:

jtompilot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I narrowed my choices to the Hyperion and Durimith.

A member here made me a good offer, less than your $350, for the Durimith TV set so that’s what I went for. I was leaning towards the Hyperion balls but several players at the pool hall weren’t interested in playing with them. Everyone liked the Durimith balls.

For $200 I think the Aramith Premier balls.

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
IF, I decide to spend 350ish.....aramith or cyclops/why?

IF, I don’t wanna spend but 200 ish, best set?
Thx

I believe I have a couple of used sets in my closet.

One would be Cyclop TV colors and the other Super Aramiths. Lightly used, what I would describe as pristine condition, in their original boxes. $175, shipping included for either.

I'll try and remember to post pictures in the FS section later today, or you can PM me.

Lou Figueroa

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In the past Cyclop has had a problem with balls being off-center so for slow shots with the ball turned with the heavy side to one side, the ball will roll off to that side. The problem seems to have persisted for at least a year. I don't know what the current status is -- I think you have to test every ball in a set at this point.

Bizarre for 'premium' balls. How'd they get approved for all those tournaments?

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Diamond tables was(still is?) the importer/dist. They used them at Derby and other Diamond sponsored events. They had some problems with the first generation balls but afaik they fixed it and have no problems since. The new balls that Predator are bringing out are also made by same company. I didn't hear any complaints from Derby the last couple years as to the balls. I just don't like the funky tv colors, not just these but Aramith as well.

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
Diamond tables was(still is?) the importer/dist. They used them at Derby and other Diamond sponsored events. They had some problems with the first generation balls but afaik they fixed it and have no problems since. The new balls that Predator are bringing out are also made by same company. I didn't hear any complaints from Derby the last couple years as to the balls. I just don't like the funky tv colors, not just these but Aramith as well.

I can't get past the 5-ball being the color of what I've known for 50+ years as being the 4-ball.

Maniac

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

They need to solve the problem of their asymmetrical 2d logo in a random 3d orientation. Half the time looks like the Arby's logo. :D

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
They need to solve the problem of their asymmetrical 2d logo in a random 3d orientation. Half the time looks like the Arby's logo. :D
That's funny. I just don't know why the classic Centennial-style ball is not the standard. The tv balls were designed for lo-def tv but all streams/broadcasts are hd now. You can plainly see what ball is what. No need for all the weird-ass color schemes.

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I will second this recommendation - Aramith tournament. Good news is with an apparent drop in demand due to all of this going on, looks like Seyberts has had a drastic price drop for this set. I could swear it used to be listed for well over $300!

Current price $349.62 (and more for the TV set).

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
I recall when you could get a set of price point Aramith Balls for about about $50.00 from Muellers, today a decent set have got very pricy.

The set I have for practice are old, chipped, and just ugly. But the good news is they still roll true. So I see no reason to replace.

Sterling Gaming use to sell some price point balls made in China, they were like $30.00 Delievered, buddy has a set on his home table. They roll fine, so they work.

http://sterling-gaming.com/pool-table-accessories/billiard-balls/traditional/sterling-standard

Price is higher today.

https://www.google.com/shopping/pro...nZqY9nnuw,prmr:1,pid:5922099567299547433,cs:1

Entry leve Aramiths. Still reasonable.

Last edited:

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
... The tv balls were designed for lo-def tv but all streams/broadcasts are hd now. You can plainly see what ball is what. No need for all the weird-ass color schemes.

And there is now wider color gamut and larger gamma support, making tv balls doubly obsolete.

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Those balls were fine.

I know they had some very limited problems on very few balls that were resolved and when I played with them playing in the US Open in Vegas they were fine and none of the pro players I was around complained.

Bob is making a pretty extreme claim when he says: " ...I think you have to test every ball in a set at this point."

THAT is bull-sheet-toe.

Lou Figueroa

Last edited:

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I recall when you could get a set of price point Aramith Balls for about about $50.00 from Muellers, today a decent set have got very pricy.

The set I have for practice are old, chipped, and just ugly. But the good news is they still roll true. So I see no reason to replace.

Sterling Gaming use to sell some price point balls made in China, they were like $30.00 Delievered, buddy has a set on his home table. They roll fine, so they work.

http://sterling-gaming.com/pool-table-accessories/billiard-balls/traditional/sterling-standard

Price is higher today.

https://www.google.com/shopping/pro...nZqY9nnuw,prmr:1,pid:5922099567299547433,cs:1

Entry leve Aramiths. Still reasonable.
Those Sterling Chinese balls are $300 if you want them virus'free. ;)