Are Mali cues decent playing cues (compared to other lower end production cues)?

TCo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I meant to note "Are the older ones (with the 3/8x10 joint pin) better quality" (than the newer ones with the stainless steal joint)?

I have one from the trophy series as well circa 1995-96(?) SS joint and later added a predator shaft. One thing to note is that the joint is approx 1mm in radius larger than the predator.

Shaves a little of your knuckle if you break with it.

Overall, loved playing with it, retired 5 years ago for a samsara.

Be well.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
I had a Mali v9 playing that I loved and used for many years until I regretabily shattered after a loss. Wish I could have that one back.

You thugs are all the same! :wink:

P.S. I like the original Mali cues. I played with several of them years ago and was always happy with how they felt.

Last edited:

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have one from the trophy series as well circa 1995-96(?) SS joint and later added a predator shaft. One thing to note is that the joint is approx 1mm in radius larger than the predator.

Shaves a little of your knuckle if you break with it.

Overall, loved playing with it, retired 5 years ago for a samsara.

Be well.

A few coats of clear finish over the shaft collar will get rid of that "lip".

cfrandy

AKA: The Road Runner
Silver Member
Not sure exactly when (80-90's), but Mali turned over the production of their cues to Yuri Miki (Mezz) and the Adam Cue company. They were never made in China. They were made in Japan.

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not sure exactly when (80-90's), but Mali turned over the production of their cues to Yuri Miki (Mezz) and the Adam Cue company. They were never made in China. They were made in Japan.

It was around 2000, maybe 2001.

BmoreMoney

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Justin , I'm not exactly sure what is after with tip his question ( asking about playability vs collector desireability and value ) but I will give you what I got. Imo, the old Malis are great hitting cues. My first " real cue " ( not the $15 junk from Kmart with the tennis racket grip lol. it was probably about a late 70's model and it played great and I loved it. It had the big pin as I'm guessing most to the old ones did ( only joint I've seen with the exception I am about to mention ). There is a member here and sorry I can't remember his whole name right this second but it has " west " in it I believe. He is the go to guy in regards to these old Malis IMHO. He greatly helped me out with my pawnshop purchase of and old Mali a couple years back and he is Very knowledgeable and has a nice and big collection of catalogs and such. He was able to find my MAli in what I think was the first Mali catalog. I have the BEM, and unlike any of the other cues listed in that first catalog. I had the small pin but it was brass ( first time I had seen one on a Mali but hough it was pretty cool. Cue was in real nice shape and hits A TON! LOL��. Anyway if I can remember his name I'll post or maybe he will chime in, but as I said he could probably help you out big time. GL!

Oh sorry, wanted to add as to your original question - the old Malis are great cues, well made and play very nice imo. As others have said, they do seem to have a nice following which one would assume would help value but as of so far prices remain low. Picking a nice one up should cost you no more than say about $150. ( I paid either $15 or $20 bucks for mine from a pawnshop but that was just luck.

Last edited:

Nuts4Tascarellas

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Mali

I have one. This is a green logo - and it's for sale. Pretty hard to beat the hit of a big pin Mali... Newly refinished. $300

Attachments

• 20160403_230549.jpg
    20160403_230549.jpg
    199.5 KB · Views: 991
  • 20160403_230539.jpg
    20160403_230539.jpg
    202 KB · Views: 1,107
  • 20160403_230520.jpg
    20160403_230520.jpg
    179.7 KB · Views: 1,004

BmoreMoney

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Justin, the guy I had mentioned in regards to Malis was actually Wilding lol . Got the " w" part right lol. The thread in question was the " Brass in Mali. here are the catalogs I got from Wildwing. If you are serious I would definitely hit him up, very cool dude! My $15 pawnshop score Isome the M-1.

Attachments

• Mali 1.jpg
    Mali 1.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 1,008
Last edited:

BmoreMoney

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Dangit Justin,you better jump on this one !!!

Yeah, that is REALLY NICE! Almost wouldn't mind having for myself, maybe nostalgia I don't know but I'm a huge fan of the early Malis and for some reason I see there being a huge upside to them one day with what they are going for. But hey 2ball, what do you have against Nuts???? ��

Johnny Rosato

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yeah, that is REALLY NICE! Almost wouldn't mind having for myself, maybe nostalgia I don't know but I'm a huge fan of the early Malis and for some reason I see there being a huge upside to them one day with what they are going for. But hey 2ball, what do you have against Nuts???? ��
Nutin Honey,(Bmore). I'm careful nowadays,I spent too much time around Dundalk,Highlandtown,Fells Point,Eastern Ave., Hwy 40, and Silverado Truckstop,Hotel,& Restaurant, while a truckdriver loading @ Bethlehem Steel all the time !!! Take care bro

Nine ... corner

BANNED
Silver Member
Bought this Mali at Saffron Billiards in Detroit area in the mid eighties and played with it for 15-20 years. It has been retired for some time but still is in my cue rack on my game room wall.
green%20ltr.jpg

Nuts4Tascarellas

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Hey 2ball - just wanted to check in here. I am a very active buyer and seller on here. Been here since 2007. I'm also a cuemaker. One of the few that doesn't take deposits. I make the cue - if the buyer doesn't like it - no strings, no problem. I also give people a 24 hour period to return any cue that I sell if they are not satisfied. That would be the case with the Mali. By the way - the cue is 19 oz, 13mm at the ferrule end of the shaft, and dead straight.

Anyone that knows me wanna chime in on what kind of person I am? Look up the post in this forum named "Polishing a turd". That may give you some insight. If there is no malice intended - nice to make your acquaintance 2ball. I hope we can have some good interactions and possibly some business deals in the future. I just like to let people to know that I am up front and direct...

BmoreMoney

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nutin Honey,(Bmore). I'm careful nowadays,I spent too much time around Dundalk,Highlandtown,Fells Point,Eastern Ave., Hwy 40, and Silverado Truckstop,Hotel,& Restaurant, while a truckdriver loading @ Bethlehem Steel all the time !!! Take care bro

I hope u got my joke ( it was directed at Justin - not nuts Tasca ). Love me some Dundalk, my second home lol - I'm right across the bridge in the Dirty Dena! lol. I have WAY WAY too much fun in Fells Point! Is the Silverton the old Beltway Motel? And I stay away from 40 at all costs lol! You do know the area brother!

Very cool.

Lately we have seen more of the earliest Mali cues up for sale. I missed a nice example not long ago. This particular one was associated with a known player with a playing record, real provenance, so I hated missing out on that one. Three original shafts too.

It is sad that Mali is gone. But I think it's nice that you can get a nice example of an old one for not too much money and have a really cool playing cue.

I recently saw an import Mali that was maybe eight years old sell for as much as it did new. Amazingly, they seem to be holding their value.

I have hit with several Mali cues over the years, and I did not care for the hit of them. I can't explain why, but I just did not like them. Many look very nice though, with nice looking points, and woods.

Are you sure about that? That is very surprising. I assume that it would have also been made with the same quality standards as all of the other cues Adam made. I love anything that was made by the Adam cue company in Japan.

Justin , I'm not exactly sure what is after with tip his question ( asking about playability vs collector desireability and value ) but I will give you what I got. Imo, the old Malis are great hitting cues. My first " real cue " ( not the $15 junk from Kmart with the tennis racket grip lol. it was probably about a late 70's model and it played great and I loved it. It had the big pin as I'm guessing most to the old ones did ( only joint I've seen with the exception I am about to mention ). There is a member here and sorry I can't remember his whole name right this second but it has " west " in it I believe. He is the go to guy in regards to these old Malis IMHO. He greatly helped me out with my pawnshop purchase of and old Mali a couple years back and he is Very knowledgeable and has a nice and big collection of catalogs and such. He was able to find my MAli in what I think was the first Mali catalog. I have the BEM, and unlike any of the other cues listed in that first catalog. I had the small pin but it was brass ( first time I had seen one on a Mali but hough it was pretty cool. Cue was in real nice shape and hits A TON! LOL��. Anyway if I can remember his name I'll post or maybe he will chime in, but as I said he could probably help you out big time. GL!

Oh sorry, wanted to add as to your original question - the old Malis are great cues, well made and play very nice imo. As others have said, they do seem to have a nice following which one would assume would help value but as of so far prices remain low. Picking a nice one up should cost you no more than say about $150. ( I paid either $15 or $20 bucks for mine from a pawnshop but that was just luck.

For some reason, I never liked the way they played. Maybe it was the taper of the shafts. I never cared for anything that did not have a nice long pro taper. I actually always preferred an extended pro taper (like 18 inches I think, like Meucci for example).