World PROFESSIONAL 9 Ball Pool Championship

pro9dg

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
World Professional 9 Ball Pool Championship.

The published prize fund will be $320.000. and there is another $40,000 available to fund Rack Running Prize Awards.

The cash prize fund will amount to $288,000 plus we will pay a further $32,000 IN SUBSIDIES to participating players. This takes it up to $320,000 and there is another $40,000 available to fund Rack Running Prize Awards. Targets are - run 11 to win a $40,000 automobile. Run 10 and you get a pair of jetskis and for 9 you will win a luxury cruise for two people.

There is no Entry Fee, So the added money amounts to the figures above.

Everyone gets paid “Check In” money. If you never pot a single ball the you will still collect $700.

There will be 96 players in the field consisting of 32 primary seeds plus 24 secondary seeds including four ladies. The rest of the field is filled out with the Winners of worldwide qualifying tournaments. Schedules are still to be be confirmed but these include tournaments in the USA under the auspices of

The format will be – 64 players will play down to 32. These will play against the 32 seeded players
with the winner going on to the final 64. So unseeded players must win two matches for the Last 64 while seeds only need to win one match to qualify to 64.
This will leave 64 players with a One Win/ One Loss status. They face each other for another chance to stay in the tournament.

All matches at this stage are race to 8 winner breaks. Break from the box. Balls not tapped in.
Set up with wooden rack. Rack your own balls but referee to inspect and approve before rack commences. All 9 Balls must be potted to claim racks.
From last 64 it will be same conditions but sudden death knockout now Round One and Two will be Race to 9. Round Three and Quarter Finals Race to 10. Final and Semi Finals Race to 11,

The TV Production will be handled by Boulder Creek TV and their Associates. They will be providing live content for the major networks in Europe, Asia and Africa.

New presentation of matches with central Camera Pod covering four tables . Two will primarily feature Asian players and two will feature Euro and USA players, Action presented in Golf Style – action from the Tee, Fairway, Green and the Crowd. Circular Commentary box located above Camera Pod with TV Studio at next level up. HD Quality output – see separate equipment list.

Pool Town – an interactive public area for fans to meet and mix with players who will be coaching, playing, giving tips, signing autographs during the whole of the event. Dealer/Vendor Booths are available for advance bookers. The booked space will be charged at a rate of ZERO, ZILCH, NOT ONE THIN DIME. It is free! There may be some nominal basic charges for construction) and all vendors will be required to meet minimum construction standards. That's it, no catches. Well there is one. Vendors will not sell anything direct to the public. Prospective customers will pay for goods at a central purchase point. They will then be issued with a voucher which they can redeem at the vendor's stand. Monies owed to vendors will be available the following morning subject to a negotiable commission. This may be as low as 5% or up to 15% depending on goods/services offered.

The Nigerian National 9 Ball Championship will be designated The President's Cup in homage to President Yar'Adua. This will produce three competitors from the Host Country.

As a curtain raiser to the event there will be an elaborate Opening Ceremony. This will showcase areas of Nigerian culture as well as a Challenge Match between Daryl Peach and Roberto Gomez.
This rerun of the 2008 WPA World 9 Ball final and will be staged in the Presidential Villa (Palace) in front of a VIP audience.

The soccer World Cup kicks off five days after the Championship final and celebrity soccer players will be invited to watch the final and we are hoping to stage a Pro Celebrity Pool Tournament.

The tournament will run from 29th May until 6th June and will include a rest day.

All players/officials will leave from Central Continental Hubs – Europe will leave via London Heathrow on , USA – Atlanta, Asia – Singapore.

We have a dedicated travel agency in Houston, TX which will negotiate the best prices for all players and officials. Players are initially responsible for their own tickets/accommodation but will be paid their subsidy prior to departure from above hubs. The hotel is The Hilton Exclusive in Abuja, Nigeria's new high security capital city.

Sponsorship is in stage payments deposited at The First National Bank of Texas in Houston TX.
The Prize Fund will be deposited in a separate account by 1st March 2010 (3 months prior to the event) and will be released on the signature of myself and one other independent but respected figure in the Billiards industry, thus guaranteeing the Prize Fund in full.

The balance of the sponsorship (running costs) will have been paid prior to the 1st Match

I am grateful to have the support of many influential and trusted people helping me to put this together. I think that this might be a good moment for them to add their own names to this document.

Personnel
Tournament Promoter – Doug Gordon
Tournament Director - Roy Steffenson
TV Commentary, Publicist and Media Director
TV Commentary Anchor Man - Joey Aguzin

Players participating in the tournament will be granted Membership of the World Professional Pool Players Organisation, the WPPPO. This will be a player driven organisation and all players will be invited to attend a meeting during the rest day. Here they will be given a chance to put their views forward on how they would like the game to progress.
The Board of the WPPPO will consist of five players and three non playing persons.
I will temporarily undertake the role of Chairman and I have invited two other leading industry figure to join me to serve until June 2010. The five players will come from nominations from their fellow players.

The objectives of the WPPPO are not to supplant any existing organisations but to address the fact that players do not have a voice or any input into how their game is run.

There are no membership fees to join the WPPPO and apart from the 96 players playing in Nigeria there will be between 250 and 300 more players who by decree of their playing records would qualify them to be Professional Founder Members.

There will be no sanction fees deducted from Prize Money and all monies from the Last 32 on will be paid into players bank within seven days of the final. Players placed 33 to 96 will receive cash payments before they leave the country.

I have invited Prince Al-Muhtadee Billah, Crown Prince of Brunei to serve as Honary President of the Players Organisation. He will have also been invited by President Yar'Adua to pay a State Visit to Nigeria during the event

There will be a Players List published later this week.

meximan2469

WPBL
Silver Member
Bravo.....

This is what the Pool World needs.

Large exposure on a Worldwide level....

All the while thinking of the Players needs financially(no entry fees and everybody is guaranteed at least $700) as well as the struggling billiard retail community.....

Bravo.....

pro9dg

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Is this a replacement for WPA 9-Ball Championship or a continuation of the same event?

No it is not a replacement for the WPA event which I hope will still be resurrected by Matchroom in the future. But it is not a continuation of it either.
It is a new event for PROFESSIONAL players which is open to ALL Pro players.

"CaliRed".

High Def Videos!!!
Silver Member
hell, you just answered 2 months of Galveston questions, in one shot.:grin:

People got to like that.

Lou?

World Professional 9 Ball Pool Championship.

The published prize fund will be $320.000. and there is another $40,000 available to fund Rack Running Prize Awards.

The cash prize fund will amount to $288,000 plus we will pay a further $32,000 IN SUBSIDIES to participating players. This takes it up to $320,000 and there is another $40,000 available to fund Rack Running Prize Awards. Targets are - run 11 to win a $40,000 automobile. Run 10 and you get a pair of jetskis and for 9 you will win a luxury cruise for two people.

There is no Entry Fee, So the added money amounts to the figures above.

Everyone gets paid “Check In” money. If you never pot a single ball the you will still collect $700.

There will be 96 players in the field consisting of 32 primary seeds plus 24 secondary seeds including four ladies. The rest of the field is filled out with the Winners of worldwide qualifying tournaments. Schedules are still to be be confirmed but these include tournaments in the USA under the auspices of

The format will be – 64 players will play down to 32. These will play against the 32 seeded players
with the winner going on to the final 64. So unseeded players must win two matches for the Last 64 while seeds only need to win one match to qualify to 64.
This will leave 64 players with a One Win/ One Loss status. They face each other for another chance to stay in the tournament.

All matches at this stage are race to 8 winner breaks. Break from the box. Balls not tapped in.
Set up with wooden rack. Rack your own balls but referee to inspect and approve before rack commences. All 9 Balls must be potted to claim racks.
From last 64 it will be same conditions but sudden death knockout now Round One and Two will be Race to 9. Round Three and Quarter Finals Race to 10. Final and Semi Finals Race to 11,

The TV Production will be handled by Boulder Creek TV and their Associates. They will be providing live content for the major networks in Europe, Asia and Africa.

New presentation of matches with central Camera Pod covering four tables . Two will primarily feature Asian players and two will feature Euro and USA players, Action presented in Golf Style – action from the Tee, Fairway, Green and the Crowd. Circular Commentary box located above Camera Pod with TV Studio at next level up. HD Quality output – see separate equipment list.

Pool Town – an interactive public area for fans to meet and mix with players who will be coaching, playing, giving tips, signing autographs during the whole of the event. Dealer/Vendor Booths are available for advance bookers. The booked space will be charged at a rate of ZERO, ZILCH, NOT ONE THIN DIME. It is free! There may be some nominal basic charges for construction) and all vendors will be required to meet minimum construction standards. That's it, no catches. Well there is one. Vendors will not sell anything direct to the public. Prospective customers will pay for goods at a central purchase point. They will then be issued with a voucher which they can redeem at the vendor's stand. Monies owed to vendors will be available the following morning subject to a negotiable commission. This may be as low as 5% or up to 15% depending on goods/services offered.

The Nigerian National 9 Ball Championship will be designated The President's Cup in homage to President Yar'Adua. This will produce three competitors from the Host Country.

As a curtain raiser to the event there will be an elaborate Opening Ceremony. This will showcase areas of Nigerian culture as well as a Challenge Match between Daryl Peach and Roberto Gomez.
This rerun of the 2008 WPA World 9 Ball final and will be staged in the Presidential Villa (Palace) in front of a VIP audience.

The soccer World Cup kicks off five days after the Championship final and celebrity soccer players will be invited to watch the final and we are hoping to stage a Pro Celebrity Pool Tournament.

The tournament will run from 29th May until 6th June and will include a rest day.

All players/officials will leave from Central Continental Hubs – Europe will leave via London Heathrow on , USA – Atlanta, Asia – Singapore.

We have a dedicated travel agency in Houston, TX which will negotiate the best prices for all players and officials. Players are initially responsible for their own tickets/accommodation but will be paid their subsidy prior to departure from above hubs. The hotel is The Hilton Exclusive in Abuja, Nigeria's new high security capital city.

Sponsorship is in stage payments deposited at The First National Bank of Texas in Houston TX.
The Prize Fund will be deposited in a separate account by 1st March 2010 (3 months prior to the event) and will be released on the signature of myself and one other independent but respected figure in the Billiards industry, thus guaranteeing the Prize Fund in full.

The balance of the sponsorship (running costs) will have been paid prior to the 1st Match

I am grateful to have the support of many influential and trusted people helping me to put this together. I think that this might be a good moment for them to add their own names to this document.

Personnel
Tournament Promoter – Doug Gordon
Tournament Director - Roy Steffenson
TV Commentary, Publicist and Media Director
TV Commentary Anchor Man - Joey Aguzin

Players participating in the tournament will be granted Membership of the World Professional Pool Players Organisation, the WPPPO. This will be a player driven organisation and all players will be invited to attend a meeting during the rest day. Here they will be given a chance to put their views forward on how they would like the game to progress.
The Board of the WPPPO will consist of five players and three non playing persons.
I will temporarily undertake the role of Chairman and I have invited two other leading industry figure to join me to serve until June 2010. The five players will come from nominations from their fellow players.

The objectives of the WPPPO are not to supplant any existing organisations but to address the fact that players do not have a voice or any input into how their game is run.

There are no membership fees to join the WPPPO and apart from the 96 players playing in Nigeria there will be between 250 and 300 more players who by decree of their playing records would qualify them to be Professional Founder Members.

There will be no sanction fees deducted from Prize Money and all monies from the Last 32 on will be paid into players bank within seven days of the final. Players placed 33 to 96 will receive cash payments before they leave the country.

I have invited Prince Al-Muhtadee Billah, Crown Prince of Brunei to serve as Honary President of the Players Organisation. He will have also been invited by President Yar'Adua to pay a State Visit to Nigeria during the event

There will be a Players List published later this week.

Roy Steffensen

locksmith
Silver Member

I am really excited about peing part of Doug's crew, and I think this new presentation of the TV matches will be the absolute nuts.

Really looking forward to this!

Wybrook

A. Wheeler
Silver Member
...and the monies will be deducted directly from your bank account via the Nigerian Lottery Commission in accordance with local law. Please provide all pertinent information when you sign up completely free on our site.

The money for the event comes directly from an account set up by my great grandfather who was an ambassador for the king and had access to a secret dispersment account which was forgotten about 20 years ago....

All you have to do to get your share is..... (more info to come later)

God bless my friend

AuntyDan

/* Insert skill here */
Silver Member
Awesome. All Nigerian 419 scam jokes aside this is one of the best announcements of a new Pro event and organization I have seen. A couple of questions/comments:

1) I don't see anything in this announcement on how the players will be picked. Do players need to formally apply? Will you use WPA rankings? With no entry fee how will you chose when it is open to all Pro players?

2)
The objectives of the WPPPO are not to supplant any existing organisations...
- Whether you intend it or not, just like the IPT before it, if the WPPPO is able to arrange tournaments with this level of prize purse two or three times a year it will effectively OWN Pro Pool worldwide. The WPA, BCA, UPA etc. will once again disappear in all but name just like they did during the IPT's single partially successful season.

3) Talking of the WPA, is this event WPA sanctioned? If so have the percentage sanctioning fees been paid?

4) With you grabbing all the AZB talent, just so you know if you are in need an official Sarcasm Officer to lay withering criticism on all those who defy you please be aware that I am available at very reasonably usurious rates.

Last edited:

pro9dg

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
awesome. All nigerian 419 scam jokes aside this is one of the best announcements of a new pro event and organization i have seen. A couple of questions/comments:

1) i don't see anything in this announcement on how the players will be picked. Do players need to formally apply? Will you use wpa rankings? With no entry fee how will you chose?
The 52 spots in the main event will be allocated from a list of around 75 players on a first come, first served basis. Most players have already been approached and some of the more prominent ones have already accepted. It is an arbitrary list and expect to find names that may surprise you. Us invitees include young players like Brandon Shuff and Mike Dechaine plus Shannon the cannon Daulton.

2) "the objectives of the wpppo are not to supplant any existing organisations..." - whether you intend it or not, just like the ipt before it, if the wpppo is able to arrange tournaments with this level of prize purse two or three times a year it will effectively own pro pool worldwide. The wpa, bca, upa etc. Will once again effectively disappear in all but name just like they did during the ipts one partially successful season.
The wpppo will be player driven and the players will decide their destiny. I don't want to own the game. I am just trying to empower the players, if i can achieve that successfully then i will just walk away.
3) talking of the wpa, is this event wpa sanctioned? If so have the percentage sanctioning fees been paid?
The wpa would not sanction the event and therefore no sanction fees are payable. But i have pursued the sponsors for over five years and i did not want this kind of money going out the game.
4) with you grabbing all the azb talent, just so you know if you are in need an official sarcasm officer to lay withering criticism on all those who deft you online please be aware that i am available at very reasonably usurious rates.

thanks but i already know that there are many people on az who only see the glass as half empty. Of course i don't have all the answers but i have more idea of what does and does not work than 95% of my anticipated critics. But be on standby.

Celtic

AZB's own 8-ball jihadist
Silver Member
I think this new presentation of the TV matches will be the absolute nuts.

I have posted before that pool should be covered exactly as it looks like the plan is in this tournament, following 4 tables and flashing back and forth showing the various stages of each match and the key moments/shots.

Hopefully you will have the ability to do what they do in golf with the "moments ago in the Orcullo/Immonen match" and show a recent shot/happening.

VERY interested to see how it works, if you do it well I think it will be a huge success and open alot of eyes on how pool can be presented to a audience with alot more excitement and interest.

Terry Ardeno

I still love my wife
Silver Member
Wow!

Congratulations to JoeyA and Roy! Two of AZB's best posters have apparently been summoned to the big time! I know you guys will each do a great job. Your enthusiasm and love for our great sport has paid off for you guys!
I hope this tournament really takes off and can grow into a permanent yearly event on the pool calendar.

Thanks Mr. Gordon for letting us know there's another big event to look forward to in pooldom!

Best of luck to all involved!

Terry Ardeno

I still love my wife
Silver Member
Nigeria? WTF.

Remember George Foreman vs Muhammad Ali? Kinshasa, Zaire staged that mega-super-duper fight. Why? It was a way to bring some publicity to that nation.

Me thinks the government of Nigeria would welcome the publicity this big event will bring. Remember the U.A.E. holding the 8 ball tournament?

No matter what, you can bet this will bring them more publicity than their Nordic skiing team does! :)

oldzilla

Accu-Stats Messenger
Silver Member
I have posted before that pool should be covered exactly as it looks like the plan is in this tournament, following 4 tables and flashing back and forth showing the various stages of each match and the key moments/shots.

Hopefully you will have the ability to do what they do in golf with the "moments ago in the Orcullo/Immonen match" and show a recent shot/happening.

VERY interested to see how it works, if you do it well I think it will be a huge success and open alot of eyes on how pool can be presented to a audience with alot more excitement and interest.

just a couple hours prior to this posting i used the same word "excitement" here. http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?p=2159431#post2159431

it is what pool needs to put spectators in the seats. whether they are at home(tv) or in attendance. tyvm

pro9dg

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks Terry
Nice to be encouraged my someone who is held in such high esteem as yourself.
Just for the record, I was responsible, together with local promoter Ahmed Ibrahim, for starting things off the aforementioned 8 Ball event in the UAE.
Alex Lely collected a kilo of Gold as the inaugural winner.

In Pool Town we will be setting up a table where you can play a Race to Two against a top professional and have your 15 minutes of fame recorded with an audience, a referee, TV Conditions and TV Commentary. This can be taken away on a DVD complete with sleeve notes and pictures.
All the professionals will be committed to making regular visits to Pool Town. That will be something to show the grand children.

I am happy to say that we can add Jay Helfert to our roster. No doubt he will be an asset to our team.... and still a few more to come.

Last edited:

Cameron Smith

is kind of hungry...
Silver Member
No it is not a replacement for the WPA event which I hope will still be resurrected by Matchroom in the future. But it is not a continuation of it either.
It is a new event for PROFESSIONAL players which is open to ALL Pro players.

How are you determining who is a professional?

JoeyA

Efren's Mini-Tourn BACKER
Silver Member
This is a magnificent opportunity for one of the biggest paydays in pocket billiard history.

It is also a great opportunity for the President of Nigeria to showcase the great city and capital, Abuja. This tournament will bring a lot of attention to the capital of Nigeria. The whole world will be watching.

If the Crown Prince of Brunei who is an avid pool player himself, happens to grace the President's Cup with his presence, pool and the pool world will be all the better for it.

Doug Gordon is known all over the world for his pool tournaments, especially in Europe and the Middle East. Doug has been a member of AZ Billiards for several years.

The players respect him, his words, his deeds and accomplishments.

This tournament should prove to an incredible experience and I am honored to be a part of it.

It is my hope that the members of AZ Billiards will lend their unique and widespread support to Doug's efforts in promoting this world class tournament.

Laissez les bon temps rouler!

Joey Aguzin

D_Lewis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If every other pool player in Canada declines, I'd be happy to represent my country.

Best of luck with your tournament.