BCA Pro Tourney in June

selftaut

straight pool nut
Silver Member
Don't know if everyone saw this announcement so I thought I would just post it.
-----------------------------------------------------------------

BCA Revamps 9-Ball Championships With New Name And Format

1/29/2008
Originally Contributed By BCA

The Billiard Congress of America (BCA) today announced it has enhanced its 9-Ball Championship event for 2008. The name of the event has also been changed to the "GenerationPool.com 9-Ball Championships." GenerationPool.com is the new BCA consumer Web site slated for launch in early 2008.

For the first time, the 2008 GenerationPool.com 9-Ball Championships will be held in conjunction with the International Billiard & Home Recreation Expo, June 12-14, in Charlotte, North Carolina. The tournament?s semi-finals and finals events will take place June 11-12 in the Grand Ballroom at the Charlotte Convention Center.

"We wanted to produce a standout event and we knew that we would need to change the look and feel of our tournament to achieve this goal," said BCA President Ivan Lee. "We will be changing the arena, the format, the production techniques and the environment of the tournament in order to highlight the professional level of play that will be taking place. The players will be treated to a first-class event in an upscale playing environment."

Further, ESPN is committing more time to showing the GenerationPool.com 9-Ball Championships on ESPN and ESPN2 in 2008. After speaking with ESPN about the innovative changes developed for the tournament, they were thrilled to add two additional hours of programming for the event, meaning the event will air for a minimum of six hours. These additional hours of airtime will add more than 30 percent of first-run coverage shown on television.

"ESPN is pleased to cover three hours from both the men's and women's GenerationPool.com 9-Ball Championship events in 2008," said Nick Dawson, associate program manager for ESPN. "The event is one of the marquee billiard events in the world each year and the added hours will allow viewers the opportunity to enjoy both semifinals and the championship from each division, along with additional tournament competition."

The arena will include reserved VIP seating, inclusive of upscale leather chairs, cocktail tables and stadium seating, creating the ultimate viewing environment. The event will also feature a VIP hospitality area with all inclusive food and beverage service, early access to the arena and a high-end hospitality area. The new championships will provide a visual backdrop for television that promotes the game in a first-class, appealing format.

The 2008 event will continue to feature a men?s and women?s division. Both divisions will begin with 32 players on Monday. The semi-finals that will take place the evening of Wednesday, June 11, and Thursday, June 12, will consist of the men?s and women?s finals. Both events will begin with a VIP reception.

In an effort to keep the linearity of the Women?s Professional Billiards Association (WPBA) tour, the women?s event will begin with 64 players June 6-7 at Smokin? Cue, which is located at 10901 University City Blvd. in Charlotte. Once narrowed to 32 players, the event will move to the Charlotte Convention Center.

"The WPBA fully understands and supports our desire to redefine our event," said Lee. "But, they requested that we allow them to keep the field size from years past.

Faced with our constraints in time and location, we worked cooperatively with the WPBA to arrange an off-site start for the women?s side of the event so that they can deliver 32 players to the start of the event on Sunday night. The willingness of the WPBA to work with the BCA to resolve this issue illustrates a new spirit of cooperation in our industry."

Tickets for the GenerationPool.com 9-Ball Championships can be purchased by phone beginning March 31, 2008, at 9:00 a.m. EST. Information on ticket prices and the phone number to order tickets will be announced in March. The BCA will also be inducting its 52nd member into the BCA Hall of Fame during the intermission between the men?s and women?s GenerationPool.com 9-Ball Championships final matches on Thursday, June 12. This exclusive ceremony will take place in the main arena and will continue the long tradition of recognizing and paying tribute to the world?s greatest billiard players and contributors.

"Hosting the 2008 BCA Expo, the new GenerationPool.com 9-Ball Championships and the BCA Hall of Fame induction ceremony all in close proximity will allow many facets of the industry the opportunity to reconnect with each other." said Lee. "The week will truly be a celebration of billiards."

Alex Kanapilly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The main reason I used to choose the BCA tournament in Vegas vs. the VNEA is because the pros were there. This sucks. Is the turnout at the expo larger than the BCA turnament in Vegas?

CrownCityCorey

Sock it to 'em!
Silver Member
So, the Men's event is cut by half at only 32 players vs. all previous years and the Women's though it starts with 64, will be cut to 32 somehow by the time everyone gets to the expo.

Lame Ass Tournament!

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Alex...Not even close. The BCA trade show will draw appx. 2500-3000 visitors...compared to the 10,000 players that will show up in Vegas for the BCAPL national tournament.

Bob Jewett mentioned this in another thread, but I agree with him. It's a slap in the face to the HOF inductees to have their 'moment in the sun' reduced from a full-on party and dinner, to an intermission between pro matches. :mad: jmo

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

Tom In Cincy

AKA SactownTom
Silver Member
Maybe the BCA League will sponsor a PRO event in conjunction with the BCAL annual tournament in Vegas.

There is plenty of room for a Pro event and maybe they could hold some Pro-am events

Just a thought Mark Griffin... are you reading this?

CrownCityCorey

Sock it to 'em!
Silver Member
Tom In Cincy said:
Maybe the BCA League will sponsor a PRO event in conjunction with the BCAL annual tournament in Vegas.

There is plenty of room for a Pro event and maybe they could hold some Pro-am events

Just a thought Mark Griffin... are you reading this?

Ya know, what the BCA (trade organization) should have done is double their effort and continue the pro event at the BCA (pool league) Nationals and add an event to the Expo.

What they did is stupid and a slap in the face to the Men & Women professionals. Where is the UPA to defend their 32 spots in this event? So only 32 Men? What 32?

BCA--Trade Org SUX!

I hope Mark G. can still do something in May; however he has not been given very much time to organize.

BCA in May was prob the best pool extravaganza on US soil. Am's & Pro's milling about together. Men & Women side by side. Very Cool!

Me<-----------ranting in the morning.

jimmy-leggs

A GREAT DAY
Silver Member
Are u talikng about the Generationpoolwehavetochangeournameandmakeitlongerandmoreprofondthanenjoypool9ballchampionships.com 9 ball championships?:D

ceebee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think this is a move to "build up " attendance to the EXPO. Taking the Pros away from the BCA in Vegas is a bad deal. Adding the pros to the BCA EXPO is a bad deal. EXPO has always been for retailers & dealers.

The correct move (JMHO) is adding the EXPO to the BCA in Vegas... lots of players (customers) to view & order the goods offered at the EXPO. BCA spends less money, the Vegas extravaganza becomes a MEGA Extravaganza....

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
ceebee said:
I think this is a move to "build up " attendance to the EXPO. Taking the Pros away from the BCA in Vegas is a bad deal. Adding the pros to the BCA EXPO is a bad deal. EXPO has always been for retailers & dealers.

The correct move (JMHO) is adding the EXPO to the BCA in Vegas... lots of players (customers) to view & order the goods offered at the EXPO. BCA spends less money, the Vegas extravaganza becomes a MEGA Extravaganza....

That would make too much sense. Please don't try to confuse them with logic.

Melissa Herndon

Pro Player
Silver Member
ceebee said:

Actually, the BCA trade show is still for inside industry only...not open to the general public. The reason for the move of the professional events was not to draw people to the expo. The BCA wanted to create a high-end, upscale event for marketing purposes. To try and sell the sport to corporate America...to show what the billiards world should be.

It's obviously not the most popular decision they have made....and it might not work. But it's something new...and if it does work...and they spread awareness of the sport into corporate America...and the popularity and visibilty of billiards is increased...then everyone benefits.

On a personal level...I am disappointed that we aren't in Vegas. I have as much fun as anyone else (and probably more than I should :D ). But as a WPBA professional...I applaud the BCA for trying something new...whether they succeed or fail. A definition of insanity is repeating the same action over and over but expecting different results. The BCA is attempting to break the cycle...and I wish them the best of luck.

Melissa

bud green

Dolley and Django
Silver Member
Between hearing all this and listening to Sullivan talk (AZBtv) about how the DCC is going to be totally different next year, I'm starting to get worried that the next twelve months isn't going to be looking too good for pool.

Oh well, Asia and Europe seem to be doing good at least....

dardusm

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hopefully, it will work out for the BCA. The problem is that it was a successful event at the nationals. If they (BCA) wanted to be innovative and show a classy event for potential corporate sponsors then run a smaller invitational tournament at the trade show. I've been to the trade show and it is generally for the pool/billiard industry. There isn't much outside sponsorship. As a player, I would be concerned that there isn't a whole lot of sponsorship from the industry. If the pool industry won't sponsor pool, why would an outside entity be willing to step up to the plate and sponsor pool?

Darryl

Getnbzy

Take 2 they're small
Silver Member
CrownCityCorey said:
BCA in May was prob the best pool extravaganza on US soil. Am's & Pro's milling about together. Men & Women side by side. Very Cool!

Me<-----------ranting in the morning.

What he said

Finally was going to get more then 1 day off for this and now........

Mark Griffin

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Pro event in May

Well, their is more scuttle butt about the BCA moving the pro event to the Trade Show. I also feel this is a big mistake but the decision was not mine-in fact I was not even in the loop at all. They told me abuot two months ago.

We have been busy - and think we have a GRAET event coming in. We have verbal commitrtments but nothing on paper. The producers are negotiating with the union electricians and camera people. Unions in Vegas are very tough.

We should know something in a couple of weeks and we will be telling everyone. It looks goiod and we will be VERY DISAPPONTED if it does not take place.

It will be an international invitational event with all the bells and whistles. With several bonus matches after the main event. If we can pull it all off, it will be awesome.

So-don't panic. We will keep eveyone posted.

Mark Griffin

LAMas

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Get Mark his own column.

Can we get Mark his own column to keep us up to date on his progress to get a pro event in Vegas in May during the BCA?
Thanks.

MikeJanis

Banned
Just a note: to remind some and to inform others who do not know.

The BCA Pool League and the BCA (Billiard Congress of America) are different companies. They only share the name BCA and thats it. At 1 time they were the same but the BCA sold the BCA Pool League and they are no longer 1 entity.

I'm not taking a side on this one but I will say for the record that going to only 32 players in the mens division is a HUGE set back for our sport as our sport stands right now.

Mj

SJDinPHX

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Bca

jay helfert said:
That would make too much sense. Please don't try to confuse them with logic.
Jay, How can you be so bitter towards our major governing body. They have done SO MUCH for the game and it's players.....LIKE ZERO!!!