Who here breaks with their playing cue?

todd2000

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a 21oz Fury Cue with a Tiger Everest tip that I have been using to break and play with for almost 2 years, with no noticeable problems. I like my cue, and don't really want to use a house cue just to break, and also don't really want to get a separate break cue. Just wondering who else breaks with their playing cue...

mactheknife

Registered
I do occasionally, but most of the time, no. Simply because I personally feel like I get a crisper hit with my break cue when I'm swinging for the fences.

But at the same time, I also have more control with my playing cue on the break.

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I broke with mine until the ferrule cracked. Do not think it will not break eventually.

Banks

Banned
I break with my player, but I also use a hard tip(kamui black hard). In 7 years, I've had one ferrule crack and that's on my Z. Other than that, no problems. If you use a well-shaped tip, you may want to rethink it for that reason.. mine's virtually flat and I prefer it that way. :confused:

Aaron_S

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I do when I play 9-ball - I just seem to get more consistent squattage with my player than my breaker. If you break hard (mid-twenties and up), you will probably have ferrule problems, as others have mentioned. I try to hold it to about 20MPH with my player, and haven't had any trouble at that speed.

Aaron

mikeyfrost

Socially Aware
Silver Member
I sent all my cues off to get refinished a couple weeks ago, so since then I been using my player. My break is as bad as its always been so I'd say a break cue is pretty much useless for me. I think I'm going to sell mine and get a jump cue only and never use a break cue again for the rest of my life on earth this year.

West Point 1987

On the Hill, Out of Gas
Silver Member
For the first 6 or 7 years that I played, I always broke with my player. My philosophy was a good cue should be able to hold up. A lot of pros switch back and forth between cues as breakers or as players...probably due to the current condition of the tips on those cues at the time. I quit using my player to break with due to keeping my tip dressed--too much mushrooming and glazing. Now with the variety of layered tips, I don't think there's any reason not to use your player to break with, if you want. I wouldn't do it if I used LD shafts, though. My break cue has a fairly flat (quarter sized bevel) Samsara extra hard break tip and works best for me. I need control, but not a lot of spin...If you use your player to break with, you could put WAY more much juice on the cue ball than you want.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have, in the past.

Generally dont anymore coz of flat tips and mushrooms.

I have been known to soft break on diamond with a magic rack, I do believe.:eek::wink::sorry:..using playing cue.

rich337

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
never

i have been playing off and on for over 20 years and i never use my player to break when i was young i didnt have much $$ so it took me awhile to save to get my 1st stick and i was scared to warp it so i would use a house stick and still do till this day

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
I sometimes break with my player occasionally when playing 9-ball, since I don't hit it as hard breaking in that game. I don't exactly crush it playing 8-ball, but I do hit it harder then....

catpool9

"Rack Um"/ Rusty Lock
Silver Member
I break with my playing cue, I do go through alot of tips and have to reshape them , and I put on my own tips, but I like the feel when I break.
40 years and it's worked out ok for me.

David Harcrow

Andrewk1988

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I do, but my cue was only 45 bucks. I just got a new cue and spent way more than 45 on it, so I dont want to risk it. I am just going to use my old player as a breaker. I'm used to breaking with it, and I probably won't use it for anything else so "why not have separate cues?" is my philosophy now.

ron59

Registered
No way do I break with mine. Not because I think I will *warp* it, I think that's the last thing to worry about. It's the tip I worry about. I feel that while the tips are "hard", repeated hard hits will compress a softer tip.

I bought a $100 Sneaky Pete and break with that. It's insurance against breaking the ferule on my playing cue, or ruining my tip.

poolplayer2093

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I do occasionally, but most of the time, no. Simply because I personally feel like I get a crisper hit with my break cue when I'm swinging for the fences.

But at the same time, I also have more control with my playing cue on the break.

i used too till my ferrule cracked. when i get it fixed i'll go back to breaking with it. it breaks just as well as any break cue i've ever used. till then i'll be using my j&j j/b cue

Luxury

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was breaking with my player and I cracked my ferrule. I kept playing with it and the crack continued into the wood!

I just ordered a Predator Ikon 3 with 314/2 shaft that came with a free Poison Jump/break brand new for $527 including shipping.

Will never break with player again unless playing one hole or straight pool of course.

conetip

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If your break speed is no more than a shot you would play at some point during a match and do not put the tip onto the cloth, I can not see there ever being a problem breaking with a playing cue.