man witnessed sad action last night - 2 idiots in a pool room

Mustardeer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So last night this room's regular, guy A, who can sort of play a little bit is playing this guy B for $50 a game. Guy B is down $650 already when I get there. This is really late at night. The room is packed. Guy B can't play. He's spinning the ball here and there but struggling with simple long shots. Guy B is trying so hard and keeps saying he's gonna win his money back, keeps trying. It was really hard to watch for some reason. Totally different speeds. Guy B definitely wasn't hustling, that was his actual speed. They were playing without a handicap - guy B had zero chance but didn't realize it. Finally I decided to step in and stop the bleeding. ( I thought guy B's ego just didn't know how to throw in the towel. I felt really bad for the guy ).

Guy A had his student there hanging out. So I dragged the student to another table and raced him to 2. I "lost" both games. Then I go back to the main table and start whining - I wanna get in! please race me to 5 for 500! I'm gonna need some weight though. To my shock guy A without negotiating just straight up offers me 3 games on the wire in a race to 5 ( he already knew his student "beat" me ). Wow. What an idiot. ( I'm nowhere near pro speed but significantly better than both guy A and guy B. Unfortunately he only wanted to race for a 100 since he didn't know me. Fine. I wasn't looking for action, I hate gambling - just wanted to stop the bleeding. Guy B lets us race on his table, I easily beat guy A. Take my 100. Guy A says next time we play without handicap. I go sure. Then the idiot guy B just can't wait to get back to the table. He wants to keep playing guy A!! What an idiot. That was his chance to say he's tired. Did you just not witness a guy on a totally different level than you? What are you doing. go home. ( I didn't say that ). I went home. They kept playing. I'm guessing guy B ended up dropping a few thousand.

Last edited:

PoolBum

Ace in the side.
Silver Member
Please tell me where I can find a guy who can "sort of play a little bit" who will play me for $50 a game.

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So last night this room's regular, guy A, who can sort of play a little bit is playing this guy B for $50 a game. Guy B is down $650 already when I get there. This is really late at night. The room is packed. Guy B can't play. He's spinning the ball here and there but struggling with simple long shots. Guy B is trying so hard and keeps saying he's gonna win his money back, keeps trying. It was really hard to watch for some reason. Totally different speeds. Guy B definitely wasn't hustling, that was his actual speed. They were playing without a handicap - guy B had zero chance but didn't realize it. Finally I decided to step in and stop the bleeding. ( I thought guy B's ego just didn't know how to throw in the towel. I felt really bad for the guy ).

Guy A had his student there hanging out. So I dragged the student to another table and raced him to 2. I "lost" both games. Then I go back to the main table and start whining - I wanna get in! please race me to 5 for 500! I'm gonna need some weight though. To my shock guy A without negotiating just straight up offers me 3 games on the wire in a race to 5 ( he already knew his student "beat" me ). Wow. What an idiot. ( I'm nowhere near pro speed but significantly better than both guy A and guy B. Unfortunately he only wanted to race for a 100 since he didn't know me. Fine. I wasn't looking for action, I hate gambling - just wanted to stop the bleeding. Guy B lets us race on his table, I easily beat guy A. Take my 100. Guy A says next time we play without handicap. I go sure. Then the idiot guy B just can't wait to get back to the table. He wants to keep playing guy A!! What an idiot. That was his chance to say he's tired. Did you just not witness a guy on a totally different level than you? What are you doing. go home. ( I didn't say that ). I went home. They kept playing. I'm guessing guy B ended up dropping a few thousand.

George-Cheers.gif

Tramp Steamer

One Pocket enthusiast.
Silver Member
Idiots are full of poolrooms, and vice versa.
There's one guy who comes in where me and my cronies play who we refer to as the local punching bag. Three guys take turns beating the crap out of him to the tune of several hundred dollars a session.
I asked one of them if he didn't feel a little sorry for the fellow. He looked at me like I had forgotten where we were. A pool hall. :)

Last edited:

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You cannot save a drowning man, figuratively speaking, with his pool wagers when all he wants to do is splash water around.

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
mustardeer
in the old days you would be broken in pieces to get into someone elses game
if you are not involved its none of your business
just sayin..:D

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
mustardeer

These days might be worse than the old days. Fuses are shorter...

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
These days might be worse than the old days. Fuses are shorter...

I feel the need to tell this one..... ;)

A buddy of mine one time got a wild hair and wanted to play me some one pocket. Its not my best game, but figuring I could usually give the guy the 8, I said "Sure." Then, out of nowhere, the most beautiful sounds I had ever heard...... He tells me, "You got 10-6 for a $100 a game" :thumbup:

After enjoying this action for a few days keeping it close, but staying well ahead, another guy sticks his nose in and takes my thunder. My buddy comes to me and says thats too big of a spot, the POOL ROOM OWNER told him so. I said no problem, can I have 9-7? "Sure" he said...... I got my smile back. You know that one that you dont show on your face, but makes you feel all warm and fuzzy inside??? :thumbup:

And yes we were indeed friends, are to this day...... but we gambled hard with each other, Matter of fact, he won the last set of 9 ball we played for $500. ;)

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
mustardeer

That's what I was thinking, B.

Nobody was getting mugged.

I certainly wouldn't let the OP see my hole card at a poker game.

Mustardeer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
mustardeer

I agree. Won't repeat. I just felt bad for the guy, I've been there once myself years ago..

Guy A wanted me to wait but feared losing an easy 100. He knew he had guy B on the hook and he wasnt going anywhere. I played it like I was about to walk out.

Str8PoolPlayer

“1966 500 SuperFast”
Silver Member
mustardeer

I'll validate that statement. In the old days "you knew your place" in each room you visited.

BmoreMoney

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What never had your nose open? I know I sure have. Also bbb is spot on. In any case sounds like a decent score, glad to hear there's still some of them around.

I have seen that type of scenario so many times in the past (where one player is way out of the other players league, and they play even without a spot all night long, and the much weaker player never quits until either he runs out of money or the bar / pool hall closes ), and the weaker player just has such a big ego, that he never gives up hope that he can at least get back to even. The thing is, that I have never seen this scenario for more then like $5 or $10 a game. I can't even imagine $50 a game in that same scenario. That is crazy, I think.

Please tell me where I can find a guy who can "sort of play a little bit" who will play me for $50 a game.

Go to paducah KY. You will find many straight up gamblers there, that are not very good. type of guys that will play you $5 a game all night long (losing every game), and never quit, and never ask you for a spot. I do not know about $50a game though.

Mustardeer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Why is everybody acting like I was trying to steal guy B from A for myself ?

Everybody was happy. It wasn't a big deal. Only one guy in the crowd figured out what was happening and tried to give me a hard time for a sec. No big deal.

BmoreMoney

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Why is everybody acting like I was trying to steal guy B from A for myself ?

Everybody was happy. It wasn't a big deal. Only one guy in the crowd figured out what was happening and tried to give me a hard time for a sec. No big deal.

Nobody thinks u were trying to steal the action. Everyone thinks you were trying to kill the action , which is the problem.

Mustardeer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nobody thinks u were trying to steal the action. Everyone thinks you were trying to kill the action , which is the problem.

Oh I see. Well you had to be there. It was really hard to watch. The guy losing was a grown man in his forties..