brake sticlck weight

Inaction

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My break stick is 18 ounces. I like a lighter cue because momentum is equal to mass x velocity squared, so the most significant factor in a more powerful break is to increase the speed. This downplays the reason to have a heavier stick.

Now, the cue that I have been using in the past few years is my 20 ounce player. The current reason is that I only had one extension, so I did not want to break with a regular length cue. The extension makes my cue a 24 ounce stick.

The prior reason that I did not use my break/jump cue is that most of my pool sessions are over a lunch break, and I did not want to put it together for four or five breaks.

A new case as of three days ago will allow me to store an assembled cue in the case while I am playing. I plan on using both cues now, (until I start using both extensions on my player) I may have to buy a 10 inch soon.

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
The lighter the object the quicker the movement. You'll for sure never see a Sumo Wrestler throwing a punch faster than a 120lb black belt.

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
22oz for me, but the shaft weighs 7.5oz

It's a break/jump and a heavy shaft makes for a better jumper. It breaks pretty respectably, too.

Bank it

Uh Huh, Sounds Legit
Silver Member
16.5 oz, I am of the belief the lighter the cue the quicker the acceleration of the cue through the cue ball on the break. My theory, YMMV.

AlexandruM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
18,13 Oz, Mezz Power Break 2, the short one, but it feels like a 19-20Oz cue.

Last edited:

mortuarymike-nv

mortuarymike-nv
Silver Member
Cues

There is no correct answer, its all personal opinion.. and can totally depend on the game you are playing and if you are pattern racking using a magic rack.

minnesota_slim

Registered
depends on your break

If you have a long windup/stroke to your break with a long follow-through, certainly a lighter cue is the way to go- as this type of break (think Johnny Archer when he breaks hard).

However, there are those who use a much more compact break. The front foot stomp type of break, for example, works much better with a heavier break cue. This type of break can still generate a very powerful break, but it is not based as much on cue acceleration. In general, this type of break is easier to control, but the top end of power is probably not as high as the long stroke break.

All of this, of course, includes the caveat that the comments relate only to generating power, and how best to go about doing that. The goal of a break, especially in 9ball these days, is not so much about absolute brute force, so secondary considerations definitely come into play.

bflgvs

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If I'm looking for a power break, I'll use a lighter cue to get an equal speed (momentum) on the break as the heavier one. But I've taken a bit off of the intensity of the break to ensure control of the cue ball.

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
The lighter the object the quicker the movement. You'll for sure never see a Sumo Wrestler throwing a punch faster than a 120lb black belt.

What about a 250 pound MMA fighter ?

Weight is relative to how quickly move the cue. In Baseball, many folks are not going to swing a super heavy bat, but guys that are super strong will, and the extra mass/weight of the bat is gonna help them, not me, but them.

So, weight is all a personal choice of how quick you can move the cue.

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
What about a 250 pound MMA fighter ?

Weight is relative to how quickly move the cue. In Baseball, many folks are not going to swing a super heavy bat, but guys that are super strong will, and the extra mass/weight of the bat is gonna help them, not me, but them.

So, weight is all a personal choice of how quick you can move the cue.
True, but swinging a 26oz cue X amount of times over 2-3 hours of play adds up quickly. It could easily cause arm fatigue in the long haul and effect your game.

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I use an El Cheapo Cuetec cue with their SST shaft and a White Diamond tip. It is 19 ounces and I can hit the balls more than hard enough with it.

I can hit hard with a heavier cue also, but I can get more "speed" with the 19 oz.

Breaking is more about hitting the cue ball and head ball solid than it is "how hard I can hit it".

I am of the opinion, that I don't need an expensive cue for breaking.