Nickels, Dimes, and other Radii

jviss

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
(New to this.)

So, a nickel is 21mm in diameter and a dime is 18mm in diameter. (I thought it would be a bigger difference.) Tips range from 11mm to 14mm or so. 13mm is very common, maybe the most popular?

How does one decide on the tip radius they use? And why not just go hemispherical and trim your 13mm to a 6.5mm radius?

I can imagine some reasons not to. I guess that the larger the radius the less squirt you will get for a given offset from center of the cue ball. (But I really don't know.) But then, the larger the radius the less English one can apply? (Is that so, too?)

Thanks for your patience as I ponder this.

billsey

Registered
I did some wondering about it as well, and believe it's not determined by the tip size but by the cue ball. Remember the tip is only one factor, since the tip wil be in contact with the cue the biggest factor is the area that touches. If you never use more than a half tip of english you should have the tip curved to match the cue ball curve. If you put more than a half tip of english you need to instead use the top change in angle of the cue surface over the area you deviate from center and adjust the tip curve fo fit that angle. So a maximum of one full tip english means a curve with half the radius of the cue ball. If you're doing trick shots and need more then sharpen the curve appropriately. Use a sharper curve for snooker than for eight ball, since the cue size is different. Use a softer tip if you need more sticky contact because the tip will deform more with a soft tip.

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
The larger tip diameter the larger radius. Those using over 13mm usually like a penny or nickle radius while those under 13mm usually want penny or dime.

WilleeCue

The Barefoot Cuemaker
Silver Member
"A nickle is a nickle and a dime is a dime ... I'd sing another chorus but I haven't got the time"
Or so goes an old song.
Pool cues are like beer and it takes a fair amount of time to try different things to see what suits your taste the best.
Dont be afraid to try new things but when you find something that works for you ... stick with it.
Dont follow the "fad" of the month.

jviss

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks

Thanks for the replies. As I think I indicated, i know nothing! I ordered 3 SIB Pro tips, and will install one on my cue. I have a metal lathe, and will make a collet adapter from nylon or hardwood. I have a very nice, sharp carving knife that I plan on using. I might practice first with some super-cheap leather tips I got on one of those Wal-Mart pool repair kits; it came with chalk, a tip clamp, glue, sandpaper holder and spare papers, repair cloth, spots, all for $5. I have a great selection of cyanoacrylate adhesives, plus accelerant, from my model airplane hobby. So, wish me luck.

I asked this so I'd get an idea of what radius to carve. I think I'll go for the dime.

I'm also fascinated with the variety of tips available, and also that many are apparently never mentioned. For example, Tweeten sells eight different ones, but you only ever hear about their Triangle and Le Professionel.

It would be great if there was some big chart comparing all of the available tips, with some objective measurements, as for hardness, etc.

So, I assume that for a 13m ferrule you start with a slightly larger tip?

Also, if it's not marked, how do you determine which is the glue side?

Thanks again,

jv

cuetips1000

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think – ceteris paribus – the smaller the tip shape radius, the more you can go off center and the more you can give the cue ball spin. Absolute minimum in tip shape would be the radius of the ferrule.

Regards,
Olaf

jviss

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks, Olaf, for the nice diagram, and thanks for the Latin!

The diagram makes a point, thank you.

aphelps1

Phelps Custom Cues
Silver Member
If it helps....

Alan

Attachments

• Minimum radius.jpg
    Minimum radius.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 268

cuetips1000

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Jviss, that is a wide-ranged list; very interesting.
I guess hardness is measured in Shore A? Do you have more infos about it?
Shore A is ok, but Shore D (for harder materials) should be better.
Each Shore scale becomes inaccurate beyond 90 uom. And some tips seem to hard for it.

Regards.
Olaf