Point Groove indexing fixture & review & recommendation!!!

scdiveteam

Rick Geschrey
Silver Member
Point Groove indexing fixture review & recommendation!!!

Hi,

I just had a new point cutting fixture fabricated by a master machinist named Alan who lives in my area and I have known for over 10 years.

I gave Alan all of my requirements for the new jig and he delivered.

The accuracy and repeatability of this unit is scary. I had micrometers and mechanical adjustable stops installed on the Y- Axis and on the table angle. I have built 5 cues on the rig since Al installed it on my bench top mill using the T Slot system and I can go from 5 point to 4 point in different geometries in seconds. High low points to different lengths are also just a number on a chart. Plug and play. I can remove the table for other milling jobs and reinstall this unit in a few minutes and I am good to go right away.

The heavy duty alum billet stock to make the base and tilt table were all precision milled on both sides on Al's big CNC mill. He mounted the rotary indexer and tail stock with 1/2" ground dowel pins and the line up between centers is awesome.

The first thing I noticed when building my point cues with this baby was how perfect the points aligned not only on the ends but within the geometry of the intermediate veneer ends. Super workmanship.

If anyone wishes to get one of these units built by Al just give him a call. You will not be disappointed with his craftsmanship!

Al has also tweaked many other precision machine fixtures and tooling in my shop and he is very familiar with the cue making processes and understands intuitively how to fix problems and he can do design and engineering modifications to that end.

Anyone who wishes to contact Alan at info@wazprecisioncomponents.com

Rick

Last edited:

ELBeau

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You'll get even better results if you ditch that drill chuck and pick up an appropriately-sized quality collet for that cutter. Rigidity and accuracy of drill chucks leave something to be desired.

scdiveteam

Rick Geschrey
Silver Member
You'll get even better results if you ditch that drill chuck and pick up an appropriately-sized quality collet for that cutter. Rigidity and accuracy of drill chucks leave something to be desired.

Amen Beau,

I have a better cutter in hand and will be replacing the chuck as was also Alan' s recommendation.

Thanks,

Rick

Last edited:

conetip

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Is the Unhappy face because you have not got around to getting the collet and cutter you really need.
The plate etc looks really nice. I would be using a big washer or a shaped washer if it was me. Just don't like the rotating nut against a flat surface. But is just overkill me.
Thanks for sharing the pictures though.
I heard a great saying today, "If you can not measure it, how can you make it right.?"

Neil

scdiveteam

Rick Geschrey
Silver Member
Neil,

I don't know how the unhappy face got on there, I must of hit a button by mistake.

Those nuts are very large and are flanged to put even pressure on the plate.

Thanks,

Rick

CAMCUES

Here is pic of cutter you need and yes get rid of Jacobs chuck this has been my homemade setup for years and it works great but get a real cutter and you will love it
seha7e6u.jpg

DaveK

Still crazy after all these years
Silver Member
Someone else in this area had another interesting variation on this ... he used two indexers as those import indexers are cheaper than their matching tailstocks ! Thanks again whoever you are :thumbup:

Dave

newguy99

http://www.palmercue.com/
Silver Member
I have an 80 year old machinest freind he made up 3 of them for me just like yours the old timers must all thing the same way it works well i have some harding indexers i find them easyer to work with i use a few of the one you use also on a ring macking fixture iam setting one up for doing a 30 but with a steady restin the back iam thinking about doing it right thru the collet instead then i can make it a little shorteri used mine for v pionts butterfly points i just change the cutter but when iam done i have to spend time finding my sente again a little bit of a pain in the ass to getit dead nuts