How to Improve Aiming Speed?

FeelDaShot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When I get down on a cut shot, I almost always initially line up to undercut the shot. I'm not sure why, but I always do and it's annoying. I then have to adjust my aim slightly to make the ball. Sometimes I have to standup and realign and sometimes I can make a minor tweek while down.

Regardless, I would like to be able to get faster and more efficient at this process. I would like to be able to get down and aim the shot correctly the first time.

Does anyone know why I tend to always instinctively aim to undercut the shot?

Does anyone have any advice on how to practice aiming or setting up on the shot quicker?

The only thing I can think to do is take more time while standing to find the correct aiming point before getting down. I've tried this and it doesn't seem to fix my problem much.

MattPoland

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
CAVEAT: I am always evolving and trying new approaches. What I’d share 12 months ago doesn’t match what I do now.

A lot of my aiming is mostly ghost ball visualization while standing and contact point overlap while down. I find I can see a bit of both while standing if I start a little further away from the table and my starting alignment is better if I step into the shot.

When down on the shot I’ve been doing much more with micro strokes / feathering. I feel like it sets my muscles for a more straight stroke delivery. A side effect lately is that I noticed an improvement on my aim. Almost to the point I feel confident in my aim and alignment much sooner, meaning faster aim and faster overall play. I try not to allow any adjustments or movement while down but this feels to me like it fine tunes my aiming.

Aside from that, I don’t often adjust much for cut-induced throw. I do know on thin cuts that spin-induced throw doesn’t take much effect but cueball deflection from sidespin definitely needs compensating (even with a Revo). If I don’t I frequently undercut with outside spin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When I get down on a cut shot, I almost always initially line up to undercut the shot. I'm not sure why, but I always do and it's annoying. I then have to adjust my aim slightly to make the ball. Sometimes I have to standup and realign and sometimes I can make a minor tweek while down.

Regardless, I would like to be able to get faster and more efficient at this process. I would like to be able to get down and aim the shot correctly the first time.

Does anyone have any advice on how to practice aiming or setting up on the shot quicker?

The only thing I can think to do is take more time while standing to find the correct aiming point before getting down. I've tried this and it doesn't seem to fix my problem much.
Pard, there is an entire sub-Forum here. Its the 'Aiming Conversation' section. I'd go there first with this.

FeelDaShot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pard, there is an entire sub-Forum here. Its the 'Aiming Conversation' section. I'd go there first with this.

I didn't post there because I'm not interested in discussing various aiming methods. I just want know if there are any tips or drills I can do to aim quicker.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I didn't post there because I'm not interested in discussing various aiming methods. I just want know if there are any tips or drills I can do to aim quicker.
That section is not just systems/methods. My point was you'll probably get more/better responses there as in "faster". ;)

336Robin

Multiverse Operative
Silver Member
Whatever you do, do the same thing each time. You try to rush it and you're
getting ready to really screw something up. After you've done it several times you'll
know you're on just a bit quicker. So how much quicker do you want to be? Think about it.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

No shortcuts - it takes years of trial and error from hitting +/- a million balls until your brain is subconsciously confident with the angle you're aiming at on a cut shot. It just comes a lot quicker for some players than it does for others - that's just the way it is. Generally, to compensate for deflection, if you're applying inside spin, you will be aiming to slightly undercut the ball, and with outside spin you'll be aiming to overcut the ball.

Low500

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No shortcuts - it takes years of trial and error from hitting +/- a million balls until your brain is subconsciously confident with the angle you're aiming at on a cut shot. It just comes a lot quicker for some players than it does for others - that's just the way it is. Generally, to compensate for deflection, if you're applying inside spin, you will be aiming to slightly undercut the ball, and with outside spin you'll be aiming to overcut the ball.
I disagree. And no, I don't want to play anybody for a $1000 a game to 'prove myself'..(before any of that stuff starts.)
No it does not take years of trial and error.
No it does not take 'hitting a million balls' for your brain to be subconsciously confident of a few simple angles.
No you do not have to 'compensate for deflection' if you know the right way to aim.
But the experts around here will never in a million years accept any of that.
Lots of inferior information floating around...........and a big time money making pro is not about to reveal the REAL stuff to any shortstops.
Life goes on....:thumbup:

poolguy4u

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I don't think you know how to aim.

You might have a bad memory, no stroke, wrong tip, wrong shaft, wrong cue.

Practice cut shots. You can start at half ball hits then go to a quarter ball hit.

Then practice half ball hits with outside English and then do the same with quarter ball hits.

Hopefully something will just start clicking for you.

pinkspider

Crap user name, I know.
Silver Member

Your approach in addressing the problem is correct. Not exactly sure what your problems are – one possible explanation is subconsciously you'll adjust back to the wrong line; it's actually normal because to your body, it feels right

one suggestion is not to do your usual correction when you are down on your shot. Shoot, miss, and when you repeat the shot, correct your visual to compensate when you are standing up. It's just a means of breaking the pattern.

the other approach is not to change the visual line but change the stance/set up slightly (correct before going down) but i feel this is usually more trouble than its worth especially if your stroke is very consistent and sound.

Actually, the posters here will be able to help you more if you can post a video of your setup and all. In a way we're just shooting in the dark and the advice might wind up being more harmful than good.

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
try to aim the shot on purpose alittle as an overcut
see what happens
i would be curious to know the results positive or negative

JohnnyP

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Are you under cutting in both directions?

I was under cutting shots to my right, and over cutting shots to my left. It took me a while to realize I was using the wrong eye to aim.

For years, I thought I was left eye dominant.

Jason Robichaud

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Are you under cutting in both directions?

I was under cutting shots to my right, and over cutting shots to my left. It took me a while to realize I was using the wrong eye to aim.

For years, I thought I was left eye dominant.

Great spot to start. Might just be a slight adjustment on cue placement favouring 1 eye over the other.

How is the OP at making long slow rolling pots? This will help define issue with aim, stroke, etc. Hit CB up and down table back to cue to see if strikes cue coming back. Without video, its very difficult for us to say.. its "X".

Addressing speed, it takes as long as it takes. Nothing like getting down on a shot 100% confident it will go. No short cut for hitting balls and lots of them.

bioactive

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Once you are down on the shot on the undercut line, apply a "Touch Of Inside" and you will hit the center of the pocket.

(Now this belongs in the aiming section LOL).

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

IMO this is not an aiming issue it is a setup/PSR issue.

And the cause could be any number of things such as unintended shoulder and elbow movement as you descend into the shot or faulty footwork just to name two. You need to concentrate on more body awareness, or perhaps video yourself, or have someone with a good eye watch you setup.

Lou Figueroa

FeelDaShot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for the replys everyone. I know my question was pretty vague and difficult to diagnose without seeing. The good news is, it’s definetly my PSR and footwork that are the most apparent problems. I have decided to painstakingly revamp my fundamentals this weekend and I think I fixed the problem. There is still a lot of work yet to be done, wish me luck!

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I think the OP needs to do as Lou suggested and either look very carefully at his mechanics or get help from someone who knows how to look at mechanics and maybe how to fix the broken parts. None of us has any idea how bad his bridge, stance and stroke are.