John Schmidt Gets Wikipedia's "Did You Know" Honor on Front Page for 7/15/2019

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
John Schmidt Gets Wikipedia's "Did You Know" Honor on Front Page for 7/15/2019

Well, Schmidt gets the honor of having his feat of reaching 626 in straight pool recognized on the front page of Wikipedia on July 15, 2019. The only other pool player I know of that received this honor was Cesero Murphy. :cool:

Here the front page of Wikpedia for today: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Main_Page

Here is John's Wiki article: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Schmidt_(pool_player)

Though John has many more tournament and championship wins, the Wikipedia editor(s) and bots do not deem these as worthy of mention. I think Wiki peeps need to realize pool was a hell of a lot different in USA back in the day when championship titles were won here. European pool wasn't even a blip on the map compared to American pool. Yes, this is my opinion, so slam me. :grin-square:

John has at least a dozen and a half more championship titles and tournament wins that *are* worthy of mention in USA. I added them a while ago, but they were removed. :frown:

Getting recognition on Wiki's "Did You Know" is a special honor. Wikipedia recognizes this accomplishment as worthy of sharing to all like front-page news, though they're a little late, aren't they? Better late than never, I say. :)

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    78.5 KB · Views: 487

alphadog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Jam thanks for sharing this and the other interesting positive items you post:):):wink:

Reactions: JAM

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... John has at least a dozen and a half more championship titles and tournament wins that *are* worthy of mention in USA. I added them a while ago, but they were removed. :frown:...
You may have needed a reference. Wikipedia seems to be insistent about documentation, which I think is a good thing.

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
You may have needed a reference. Wikipedia seems to be insistent about documentation, which I think is a good thing.

It seems that there is a self-appointed watchdog out there, probably a WPA or EPBF person. He doesn’t believe that things like this Sands Regency open is a major championship.

Freddie

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Bob, I had several references for Schmidt's tournament wins that I posted on Wikipedia in footnote format, but the Wiki editor stated that these werre not what he considered "majors," and so he deleted them.

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It seems that there is a self-appointed watchdog out there, probably a WPA or EPBF person. He doesn’t believe that things like this Sands Regency open is a major championship.

Freddie

He may be too young to understand the significance of those tournaments, Cornerman. At least that is what I think. That said, he has added a great deal of color to the cuesports section with players from around the world, not as many Americans, though, because I think his knowledge base goes to the international tournament soldiers as opposed to Americans. And as most of us know, there ain't too many American tournament soldiers these days. Sad but true. :(