Troy Frank

n10spool

PHD in table mechanics
Silver Member
Glad to hear hey still plays last time I say him he was thinking vaction, work and I think there was a kid but I might be wrong. Anyways I hope things are going good or better.

Craig

FSutton

Full Rack Banks only!
Silver Member
I heard he just won the valley barbox singles tourney on sat or sunday in Hollywood, Florida. Cliff Joyner came in 2nd

Stixnballs

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I heard he just won the valley barbox singles tourney on sat or sunday in Hollywood, Florida. Cliff Joyner came in 2nd

Just saw Troy over the weekend in South Florida at the VNEA State championships. He did win the Singles. I watch some of that match and the only word that comes to mind was flawless. he is a master on the Bar Box.

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
1997 era or thereabouts, Troy Frank was named Player of the Year by the Greater Canton Amateur Association.

In December of 2005 was the last time I saw Troy Frank. It was at the IPT King of the Hill Shootout in Orlando, Florida. He sat next to me in the peanut gallery, and we sweated a few matches together. He is such a gentleman player, nice guy, and has a great deal of passion for pool.

Here's a snippet of Troy's bio in billiards:

Troy started playing pool when he was 11 years old and developed his skills, under the tutelage, of Barry Hixon. At the age of 16, Troy played in a National 8-Ball tournament in Milwaukee, Wisconsin. He was the youngest player ever to play in that tournament and his team won 1st place out of a field of 85 teams. When Troy was a senior in high school, he competed in the Governors Cup Tournament in Columbus, Ohio. He competed against the world's greatest professionals and he came in 5th place. Then, at the age of 20 years old, he won a top-level professional tournament in Indianapolis, Indiana.

At the age of 18 to 20 years old, Troy competed frequently in the Starcher's 1st Sunday of the Month tournament. At one point, he won 2nd place four consecutive months and went on to win that tournament many times after that. At the age of 23 years old, Troy played in a top-level professional tournament in the North American East Coast 9-Ball Championship (Chelmsford, Massachusetts) and finished 3rd. In 1994, Troy played in the Sandusky team 8-Ball tournament and his team won 1st place out of a 64 team field. At one point in that tournament, Troy had run ten racks in row. Also, during that tournament, Troy was send to play a sudden death tie breaker match for his team on four separate occasions. Troy won all four games with perfect rack runs on his first turn in each game. In 1995, Troy competed in the Valley League Masters 9-Ball tournament in Las Vegas and won first place out of a field of approximately 100 very talented amateur and professional players from around the world.

Troy played in the Canton Billiard League from the age of 16 to 25 years old. He won the Straight league two out of the five years that he played in the league. At the age of 17 years old, Troy had a high run in the league with 63 balls in a row. At the age of 20 years old, which was his last season in the league, he had Canton Billiard League's high run to date with 82 balls in a row. He also had an average run per inning of a remarkable 8.66. Troy finished in second place in the 9-Ball league, his first year of league play and dominated the league for the last six years that he played in it.

Source: http://bendis.meccahosting.com/~a0000f17/playeryear.htm [Retrieved May 5, 2009]

Cute pic of a young Troy. I've always known him as an Ohio player, but I do know he moved to Florida and married his sweetheart. :)

Attachments

• troyfrank.jpg
    troyfrank.jpg
    4.3 KB · Views: 572

Ken_4fun

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I remember him in Louisville at the DCC and he kept going into the "redraw" and getting the "bye". He was in the pit with the top dogs and I am not saying he couldnt have beat them, but I think he got 2 "byes" in a row!

He played great, and like the poker on TV, the luck of the draws was a big help too.

One of my favorite players.

The other memory for me I went my only time to SBE, and I watched the men play 8 ball to an almost empty stands. They played awesome, and I talked to Troy and he said it was a "RUNOUT FEST". It indeed was as almost every break was followed by a runout, all of the men pros played great.

The second part of that story was immediately following, the WPBA played to full stands, and got to see IMO, not very impressive play, but a huge amount of safeties.

Checkers sell more than Chess.

JMO ;)

Ken

Eric.

Club a member
Silver Member
Troy is definitely a barbox champ.

Quick story:

One year, in Valley Forge(expo), Bobby Pickle and his backer for the night were looking for action. They decided to make a game with Troy; race to nine 9 ball, rack your own. The funny part was that the backer calls me over to tell me that they got a "fish" for Pickle to play. When I got there, I looked at Troy and shook my head. Some fish :eek:

Anywho, the first set goes back and forth with Pickle winning 9-7 or so. Troy walks off to check with his backer, comes back red faced, doesn't say a word, just flips the coin. Troy wins the flip and... breaks/runs, break/runs...repeat to...5-0, Troy plays a safe, Pickle kicks and leaves a shot and Troy...runs out, breaks/runs, break/runs, break, plays safe, Pickle kicks and safes back, Troy kicks the ball in and runs out for the cheese. Pickle shot twice in that set; 2 kicks.

Troy is sporty on the box.

Eric

CrownCityCorey

Sock it to 'em!
Silver Member
Troy is now: Working, married, has babies, and dogs.

Pool has taken the rumble seat.

He lives in Florida.

Bobby

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Troy is a hell of a player with a lot of heart. I'll never forget seeing him win the pro 8 ball event they had at the Super Billiards Expo in 2002. He played really great and hardly ever missed a shot the whole tourny. He beat Mika in the finals. He just knows how to grind it out.

mosconiac

Job+Wife+Child=No Stroke
Silver Member
I've only seen Troy play on one occasion and that was on an Accustats DVD. I was very impressed with his demeanor & his way of simplifying the game.

JustPlay

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That was the 1st derby, and Troy getting the byes singlehandedly caused Rempe to never come back. I heard it from the horses mouth and you can bet it:thumbup: Rempe hated that format and felt cheated, but Troy still played great and i believe shut him out:eek:

Troy beat Rempe 7-0 to get into the finals and beat Efren Reyes to win the 9-ball event! Nobody can blame Troy for the two byes he received because of the format. If it was anyone else, nobody would have said a word. Troy beat the best that day and he deserved to win!!