• This is even dumber than the last poll alstl posted

Votes: 11 28.2%

• Total voters

12310bch

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
eureka

Why?

Is it possible to pound a round sphere into a flat surface?

:cool:
NO!
You are absolutely right. According to the most fundamental laws
of physics only spherical cubes can be pounded into a flat surface.
Galileo proved this when he dropped a Bocci ball from the Leaning Tower of Pisa and it remained a round sphere. If I recall correctly, he was excommunicated from the Catholic church for making this discovery.

NineballBEN

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
LOL...new guy hey,if I knew how to give those rep points the last 3 responses would be receiving them.:grin:

mullyman

Hung Like a Gnat!
Silver Member
Why?

Is it possible to pound a round sphere into a flat surface?

:cool:

Pounding the ball into the slate will cause a little divot and the ball will settle into that divot. Only problem is that people constantly pounding the ball make divots all around the spot that eventually turn into one big divot and you're back to square 1. But, it's inevitable. The cue ball does not hit the head ball straight on, it's actually a tad bit off the table and coming down on the head ball. Breaking alone will cause those divots. 9-ball is hell on a table.
MULLY

12310bch

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
wanna bet?

Pounding the ball into the slate will cause a little divot and the ball will settle into that divot. Only problem is that people constantly pounding the ball make divots all around the spot that eventually turn into one big divot and you're back to square 1. But, it's inevitable. The cue ball does not hit the head ball straight on, it's actually a tad bit off the table and coming down on the head ball. Breaking alone will cause those divots. 9-ball is hell on a table.
MULLY

Hey Mully, wanna bet? I understand that you've got a lot of gamble
in you .:yeah:

mullyman

Hung Like a Gnat!
Silver Member
Hey Mully, wanna bet? I understand that you've got a lot of gamble
in you .:yeah:

What are you wanting to bet on? That pounding the ball into the table doesn't leave a divot in the slate? If it doesn't then please explain what those little dents are that I feel around the foot spot of just about any table in any pool room? Hey, I'll gladly concede the point if you can explain why the dents are there.
MULLY

mullyman

Hung Like a Gnat!
Silver Member
You're right, that might be the winner although I see most people at this point think it is perfectly acceptable.

I don't think it's acceptable because I think it ruins the table. But I do think it's a necessary evil at times. I'm just as guilty of it as anyone else. I try not avoid doing that as much as possible but some tables are just so bad that you can't keep from it.
MULLY

TX Poolnut

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
All this can be avoided by using one of those page hole reinforcment stickies as a foot spot.

The ball will sit peacefully in the middle of it everytime and you don't have to bang the hell out of your table.

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't think it's acceptable because I think it ruins the table. But I do think it's a necessary evil at times. I'm just as guilty of it as anyone else. I try not avoid doing that as much as possible but some tables are just so bad that you can't keep from it.
MULLY

My method is to let the one ball roll into one of the divots and then snug the rack up to the one ball. You might have to move the one ball a couple times and it might not be in the center of the foot spot but it works for me.

mullyman

Hung Like a Gnat!
Silver Member
My method is to let the one ball roll into one of the divots and then snug the rack up to the one ball. You might have to move the one ball a couple times and it might not be in the center of the foot spot but it works for me.

pulpfiction2o.jpg
Jules: [scoffs] Don't be tellin' me about rackin'. I'm the rack fkkin' master.
Vincent: Racked a lot of 'em?
Jules: Sh!t yeah. I got my technique down and everything, I don't be mudballin' or nothin'.
Vincent: Would you give a guy a bad rack?
[Jules gives Vincent a long look, realizing he's been set up]
Jules: Fkk you.
Vincent: You give them a lot?
Vincent: You know, I'm getting ready to break. I could use a good rack myself.
Jules: Man, you best back off, I'm gittin' a little pissed here.

MULLY

Last edited:

m79a

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
LOL...new guy hey,if I knew how to give those rep points the last 3 responses would be receiving them.:grin:

Click that little box with the blue line at the bottom, on the left side of the screen and rep on.

TX Poolnut

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
pulpfiction2o.jpg
Jules: Sh!t yeah. I got my technique down and everything, I don't be mudballin' or nothin'.

MULLY
I could almost hear them talking as I read that. Funny! :):smile:

jonesy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
pulpfiction2o.jpg

MULLY
Thats funny:rotflmao1:

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
pulpfiction2o.jpg

MULLY

Absolutely great Mully. One of my favorite moves too. You never knew what was coming next in that movie.

Who's chopper is this? - Zed's. - Who's Zed? - Zed's dead baby! Zed's dead!"

CreeDo

Fargo Rating 597
Silver Member
Mully's got the best answer. Even if you refuse to tap it, a divot will appear from multiple breaks driving the 1 downward into the spot.

My best results come from gradually moving the rack north and letting the 1 ball wander around until it finds its hole, and then trying to coax the other balls to play together below it. If the 1 wants to wander an inch above or below the spot, I don't fight it. I find this saves hours of racking and lets me get good racks very quickly.

If I tap anything it's usually not the 1, it's something else that seems to have found a divot that is completely out of line with the rest of the balls. Often the wing ball.

Last edited:

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Mully's got the best answer. Even if you refuse to tap it, a divot will appear from multiple breaks driving the 1 downward into the spot.

My best results come from gradually moving the rack north and letting the 1 ball wander around until it finds its hole, and then trying to coax the other balls to play together below it. If the 1 wants to wander an inch above or below the spot, I don't fight it. I find this saves hours of racking and lets me get good racks very quickly.

If I tap anything it's usually not the 1, it's something else that seems to have found a divot that is completely out of line with the rest of the balls. Often the wing ball.

That's right. I know a joke similar to that from my days as a sailor but I don't feel like getting banned from this forum just yet so I will keep it to myself.