View Single Post
Interesting Paper
Old
  (#8)
336Robin
aimisthegameinpool.com
336Robin has a reputation beyond repute336Robin has a reputation beyond repute336Robin has a reputation beyond repute336Robin has a reputation beyond repute336Robin has a reputation beyond repute336Robin has a reputation beyond repute336Robin has a reputation beyond repute336Robin has a reputation beyond repute336Robin has a reputation beyond repute336Robin has a reputation beyond repute336Robin has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

Interesting Paper - 01-23-2016, 03:44 AM

Lamas,
Interesting Paper but its 5am so I read some scanned some and went to the conclusion. There was a statement in this paper that I use that applies to aiming I found interesting verifying a theory of mine but again its 5am.

I would have thought that shaft flexibility would have been included a long time ago in this theory but apparently it hasn't been after all the cue ball does have a weight and that weight would cause resistance to the stroke, none of which I could measure however I have seen a local painter here who also is a pool player who took a shaft and made it very whippy on home lathe and seems to play very well with it.

I would guess that further conversation concerning squirt will now cover shaft stiffness and butt flexibility as part of the equation and it rightfully should if it can be determined that there is a point that is physically attainable in a practical sense that those parameters can be obtained and used within the confines of a cue stick that can be used for normal play. The first question here being is the data from the Meucci test that seems to come up from time to time about butt flexibility and what was actually found out and it seems that there was some shaft and butt combinations that produced a lot less squirt than expected. I think I read some cautions about the efficacy of that testing as well due to the way things were setup for testing so we have more variables. Nice Post. I am not someone who understands anything really about Physics but I have worked with squirt and squirt variables enough to it can be understood enough by laymen such as myself to be able to put it into a plan where shots work out as planned but you have to adhere to one thing. You have to stroke as chosen in the planning phase. Nice one, Kudos.

What happened to PJ's thread on Swoop Stroke?

Robin

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAMas View Post
For all these years, It has been held here that only end mass determines squirt and when I proffered that I thought that the flexing or bending of the shaft is also an important component, I and others were dismissed. One need not be a scientist to have good intuition and conscious reasoning, but here one is dissed unless he has a pedigree above that of a pool player.

I just found this old paper from 2006 that I had not been pointed to before here on AZ Billiards Forum since I joined 2003. I wonder but will not ask why?

Cue and ball deflection (or “squirt”) in billiards
Rod cross
Physics Department of Sydney, Sydney NSW 2006, Australia

VII Conclusion

....The experimental data shows that elasticity of the cue tip plays a dominant role in the collision process and suggests that cues with thin shafts might generate lower squirt angles as a result of their greater flexibility rather than their lower mass...

Acknowledgements
This article was inspired by previous theoretical efforts by Ray Higley and by Professors David Alciatore and Ron Shepard, concerning the origin of squirt in billiards,

http://www.physics.usyd.edu.au/~cros....%20squirt.pdf

This scientist could also be wrong even with an overhead camera and accelerometers etc,.

Be well

"Let your "Stick" do the talking!"

336Robin
"Improve your shot making forever for $5.99!"

The Target Ball Concept-Aiming,
The Flight of the Cue Ball-Aiming Adjusted for Side Spin,
Robbing the Bank Shot!-Pass Over Banking
Change your game for a couple of Bucks! and
Comes with a lesson!