Let him out? R U Serious?

pool4u

Hola Paco
Silver Member
I have heard three stories in the past month of people letting other people out from having to pay the full amount after losing bets. What's up with that?

"Oh he couldn't really afford it." THEN DON'T FREAKIN BET!

"The owner said I should." So if I run up a tab of $100 can I just pay $10 and call it good?

Ugh! What the hell are people thinking? Do you really think you're doing the SOB any favors? No! You're just setting up someone else to get screwed!

"Hey, Joe let me out, why can't you?"

Am I alone in believing you don't gamble unless you have the cash on you right then and there? I can understand some situations where the $$ is too big to have the money at the time, and they work out okay, but you'd really have to trust the guy.

I guess I'm at a loss here. I just don't get it.

inside_english

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
pool4u said:
I have heard three stories in the past month of people letting other people out from having to pay the full amount after losing bets. What's up with that?

"Oh he couldn't really afford it." THEN DON'T FREAKIN BET!

"The owner said I should." So if I run up a tab of $100 can I just pay $10 and call it good?

Ugh! What the hell are people thinking? Do you really think you're doing the SOB any favors? No! You're just setting up someone else to get screwed!

"Hey, Joe let me out, why can't you?"

Am I alone in believing you don't gamble unless you have the cash on you right then and there? I can understand some situations where the $$ is too big to have the money at the time, and they work out okay, but you'd really have to trust the guy.

I guess I'm at a loss here. I just don't get it.
I agree. It's just another example of people not being held accountable.

senor

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've let people out before, but only those who I have a good repoire with. And it was no big deal to me, cause what goes around comes around. Some examples are playing a set of nine ball and I'm on the hill and my opponent asks to buy out of the set for a discount, usually somewhere around 75%.

Chucklez65

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
I agree with holding the person accountable...so I dont let others off without paying...I will however not take someone's last money...after he has paid the debt if he/she is empty I dont want him to go way broke...so ill offer some back.

Just the curteous thing to do and you make less enemies that way.

I love action, but its fun for me...Im not trying to make a living at it. This probably wont apply if you are trying to make money to eat.

Jimmy M.

Insomniac
Silver Member
It wasn't a huge amount or anything, but I let someone out of $400-something once. I like the guy and he really was in no condition to be playing (drinking too much). I offered to quit several times and play again the next day, but he wasn't having it.

Yeah, so you could say I'm an idiot or whatever you want to say but, in the end, I didn't feel right about keeping the money. I'm sure he would have kept mine if he won but, in that particular situation, I was absolutely stealing, so him winning my money was never a possibility.

In the end, you do what you feel is right. I didn't feel right taking the guy's last dollar, which it was, given the circumstances. Dumb or not, I felt better about myself than I would have if I kept the money. There were more factors that led to my decision, not just alcohol, and I didn't feel it was the right thing to do.

Some times in our quest to beat everyone we play, we forget all human decency. In general, I would never do what I did that time, but there are exceptions to every rule.

SJDinPHX

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Jimmy M. said:
It wasn't a huge amount or anything, but I let someone out of $400-something once. I like the guy and he really was in no condition to be playing (drinking too much). I offered to quit several times and play again the next day, but he wasn't having it.

Yeah, so you could say I'm an idiot or whatever you want to say but, in the end, I didn't feel right about keeping the money. I'm sure he would have kept mine if he won but, in that particular situation, I was absolutely stealing, so him winning my money was never a possibility.

In the end, you do what you feel is right. I didn't feel right taking the guy's last dollar, which it was, given the circumstances. Dumb or not, I felt better about myself than I would have if I kept the money. There were more factors that led to my decision, not just alcohol, and I didn't feel it was the right thing to do.

Some times in our quest to beat everyone we play, we forget all human decency. In general, I would never do what I did that time, but there are exceptions to every rule.

Jimmy, those are the things that define you,as a person. You did the RIGHT thing.
I once busted a G.I out of his mustering out pay.(only $300 or so.) He was a gentleman (no air barrell). I paid the time, and bought him a drink. I had to pry his story out of him, he was not a begger. He was flat broke, and 2000 miles from his wife and new baby. Call me a sucker, but I made him take his money back, and offered more, if needed.
I never felt better in my life, that day. He became a lifelong friend, and we never forgot our first meeting.

Dick

Big C

Deep in the heart of TX.
Silver Member
If they don't want to pay up, make 'em siphon all the gas out of their car into yours. Then offer them a cigarette. :eek: