cushion bounce

pulzcul

"Chasinrainbows"
Silver Member
I have a GC4 with K55 profile rubber installed by Pat Sheehan in Portland about 15 years ago. i've been getting some ball bounce off certain places of the cushions. A few inches inside the corners on both short rails and also the same near my side pockets. Rail height is 1 7/16, checked a few times. Shimmed the worst spot yesterday and thought i was good but it's doing it again today. Could i get some suggestions as to a cause? I would assume it's a cushion thing but what? Rubber getting old? Glue? Why in just those spots?

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
I have a GC4 with K55 profile rubber installed by Pat Sheehan in Portland about 15 years ago. i've been getting some ball bounce off certain places of the cushions. A few inches inside the corners on both short rails and also the same near my side pockets. Rail height is 1 7/16, checked a few times. Shimmed the worst spot yesterday and thought i was good but it's doing it again today. Could i get some suggestions as to a cause? I would assume it's a cushion thing but what? Rubber getting old? Glue? Why in just those spots?

Post a youtube video? Sounds weird!

TFT

pulzcul

"Chasinrainbows"
Silver Member
Not sure i know how to do that and you can't really see the hop more than you hear it. its jumping up though, i think, would it jump if it were pinched?

Well, i got a slow motion vid on my phone. Can i post it?

pulzcul

"Chasinrainbows"
Silver Member
If you dont have a youtube account, make one and upload it there? then post a link here?

TFT

I'm trying. lol. might be tomorrow. I see the ball sliding from the rail and then hopping. Like a slight pinch. Can the rubber be coming loose from the bottom?

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
I'm trying. lol. might be tomorrow. I see the ball sliding from the rail and then hopping. Like a slight pinch. Can the rubber be coming loose from the bottom?

Anything is possible! Sounds strange since the nose height is right. Sounds like you got 15 years, am I right? What rubber did he use? Brunswick Superspeed cushions are a direct fit on your table. IMO the only subrail mod that needs to be done, would be properly extended subrails.

I look forward to seeing the slow motion video. Take your time

TFT

pulzcul

"Chasinrainbows"
Silver Member
Anything is possible! Sounds strange since the nose height is right. Sounds like you got 15 years, am I right? What rubber did he use? Brunswick Superspeed cushions are a direct fit on your table. IMO the only subrail mod that needs to be done, would be properly extended subrails.

I look forward to seeing the slow motion video. Take your time

TFT
Actually took superspeeds off of it. Trying to reach Pat Sheehan in Portland to find out what he replaced them with. Superspeeds crumbled on the foot rail.And after taking a closer look it is hopping up from the cushion.

Last edited:

Lawnboy77

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Try vacuuming and cleaning the cloth with warm water and Woolite, paying particular attention to the rail cushion ball contact point. From my experience most ball hop is just chalk/grime embedded in the rail ball contact area. It could also be due to worn rail cloth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Snooker Theory

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

If you can't get it posted, you can try emailing me the video and ill upload to my youtube account and post it.

snookertheory@gmail.com
I don't check it all that often so just comment in here and let me know, so I can post it in a timely manner.

pulzcul

"Chasinrainbows"
Silver Member
Try vacuuming and cleaning the cloth with warm water and Woolite, paying particular attention to the rail cushion ball contact point. From my experience most ball hop is just chalk/grime embedded in the rail ball contact area. It could also be due to worn rail cloth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Will definitely try that. Right now.

Lawnboy77

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I noticed how chalk buildup will enhance ball hop when doing drills where the balls are constantly hitting the same spot on the cushions. As a habit I normally chalk up for every shot and a good percentage of that chalk ends up on the first couple of spots of the cushion where the CB contacts. After a week, or so of not cleaning the table I have a good bit of hop at those 2 locations. Combine that with the normal sweat from the hands, and whatever ball cleaner residue that accumulates and you end up with a sticky grime on the cushion contact surfaces...at least that's my experience. Thanks to forum for the good info on how to remedy this. Lots of good info around here using the search function.

SpotOn

Registered
I had the exact same issue with my table until I replaced the cloth with a better product. Everything is good now. I did not change the rubber just the cloth and NO hop now. Go figure.