... Nothin' a beer can't fix though. :D
Or even some of this, eh?

CropperCapture[513].jpg

That's another BB come to think of it.:yikes:

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
....and this is why all BB should be put into a large heap and burned.

I haven't tried this break, but the uber soft Corey Deuel 9-ball break on the BB worked just as well on the 9' table (no 3-pt rule). The cloth and the template rack were the key ingredients.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
https://youtu.be/RRGt3x5UKWE

Here is my attempt. 45 min of breaking and racking condensed into 5 minutes (showing only the break). 25 total breaks. Pocketed a ball on 2 breaks!

For those that think Corey is stealing, go ahead and try this on your own. If you don't have it absolutely nailed, you will be leaving hanger outs to your opponent.

My balls are a well matched set. There were no gaps during racking, I inspected each rack very carefully. I was using a Magic Rack brand template. I did not hit each rack dead square. But even if you throw out those attempts, my make percentage is probably 1/10.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member

Here is my attempt. 45 min of breaking and racking condensed into 5 minutes (showing only the break). 25 total breaks. Pocketed a ball on 2 breaks!
On one of those breaks, the second-row ball got kissed into the side.

The timing on your table looks very different from the table Corey was on. Lots of kiss-outs of the intended balls by the corner balls.

Poolmanis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This break work perfect conditions and 7ft for sure. little worn out table and 9ft not so good anymore.. :)

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
On one of those breaks, the second-row ball got kissed into the side.

The timing on your table looks very different from the table Corey was on. Lots of kiss-outs of the intended balls by the corner balls.

This break work perfect conditions and 7ft for sure. little worn out table and 9ft not so good anymore.. :)

He might have better luck racking at the wrong end.

I just tried 2 sets of the 10 ball ghost race to 7, as I was feeling really good. I lost 2-7, and 0-7. But, that is typical for me even on the 9 ball ghost. Anyway, in those 16 breaks, I made a ball on one. So I'm 3/41 on pocketing a ball.

You boys try it after the apocalypse;) I've throughly convinced myself its not possible on my table with me shooting.

Tennesseejoe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just tried 2 sets of the 10 ball ghost race to 7, as I was feeling really good. I lost 2-7, and 0-7. But, that is typical for me even on the 9 ball ghost. Anyway, in those 16 breaks, I made a ball on one. So I'm 3/41 on pocketing a ball.

You boys try it after the apocalypse;) I've throughly convinced myself its not possible on my table with me shooting.

Try this...Bridge hand on the short rail anywhere...Stand up a little straighter...Use a little wrist just as the cue hits the ball. This can be an eye opener.

edwu

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Use an elevated bridge and jack up the butt end of the cue a few degrees.The elevation causes a higher pop on the cue ball after contacting the one and brings the second row balls higher (target balls). Elevate more if they're hitting below the side pockets. If they're hitting above the side pockets, then switch to a more level cue.

edwu

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

For those that think Corey is stealing, go ahead and try this on your own. If you don't have it absolutely nailed, you will be leaving hanger outs to your opponent.

My balls are a well matched set. There were no gaps during racking, I inspected each rack very carefully. I was using a Magic Rack brand template. I did not hit each rack dead square. But even if you throw out those attempts, my make percentage is probably 1/10.

Have to agree with you. This break is not that easy especially with varying table conditions.

BJKZY174

Registered
Does Table Size Matter?

Is this break table size dependent? Has anyone had success with this on 7/8/9 foot tables alike? Thanks!

Poolplaya9

Tellin' it like it is...
Silver Member
Try this...Bridge hand on the short rail anywhere...Stand up a little straighter...Use a little wrist just as the cue hits the ball. This can be an eye opener.

Since for a given set of equipment the cue ball only "knows" how hard it was hit, where it was hit, and the angle it was hit at, it might help if you would explain what you think the things you listed would do and how that would help with where the cue ball was hit and at what angle and speed.

westcoast

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Why not break the balls a little harder? In theory wouldn't the 2 balls behind the 1 still project toward the side pockets?

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Corey's knowledge of the break is almost encyclopedic. He reminds me of Allen Hopkins, who knew the straight pool rack as well as anyone. In practice, Allen used to rack the balls in the exact same configuration before every rack in order to study where the balls went on the various break shots. It's a unique type of dedication that both Corey and Allen showed to mastering the break shot, but both are to be admired.

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Appears to be a bar box. Not sure he would get 3 balls above the headstring or pocketed on a 9 foot table.

He is without a guy who works on his break.

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
I haven't tried this break yet since watching the video but have tried it in the past both using a triangle and the Turtle template. With a new set of the dynasphere balls I can consistently get all balls touching, template or triangle. The table is a Valley barbox which seems to have both benefited and suffered from an owner complete redo. Rails are surprisingly consistent considering this is an old coin op table. I suspect the cushions have been replaced at the same time the cloth was replaced, a fair amateur job, could have been tighter. The table is on my open patio, roof but no sides.

The first thing I found is that the balls definitely behave differently when the rack was on the template. Some odd things. If you have seen the ripples left behind by an earth quake the balls sometimes form these patterns from a poor hit. Interesting, not particularly meaningful. A nine ball rack, everything behind the head ball on one side went into the near foot pocket on the short side of the table. Second row, third row, fourth and foot ball. They went directly to the corner pocket and piled up there before sorting themselves and all falling. Wish I could repeat that break!

Now in just the third paragraph of my post we get to what meat there is. Waiting on some glue to dry to test some pvc underground joints before reburying them, I have time to kill. As I remembered from this break, it ain't wildly successful for me. I just gave it twenty tries. I got some nice crossing patterns and flirted with the side pockets hitting above and below them, no balls cleanly pocketed in the side. I did make one ball a handful of times, one scratch and for the most part it seemed the ten ball didn't twitch.

It seemed balls were more inclined to come all the way to the head pockets to fall on the break but for me I would say this break is a poison pill. I only made a ball on the break by fluke. I think I could get a very nice spread most of the time and control the table, if I could just solve that little mystery of making a ball on the break!

My break of choice for ten ball is from the rail out to the first diamond. I have also had a lot of success with a break with the cue ball positioned about one ball off center and using a lot of low with a touch of inside.

Lumping in seven foot Diamonds changes the picture some but basically bar table play is a matter of figuring out the quirks of the particular table before your opponent does. Corey might gain a big headstart if his break works on a particular table and the opponent struggles. Assuming the money ball down on a break isn't a win there is a lot of truth to an old saying about not being able to win a game on the break but you can sure lose one on the break. Unless I find a local coach to unravel the mysteries of Corey's break I'll put my faith in mine, which is maybe a thin slice above average.

Hu