Winning Money: Tournaments vs Gambling

Lately I've been on a hot streak. I've been pretty much beating everybody. Sometimes winning feels great, sometimes winning makes you feel guilty, and sometimes winning feels a little scary. Why is there such a variance?

When you win a tournament you feel great. People congratulate you, take your photo, and post the results on Facebook.

On the other hand, when you win a gambling matchup you're lucky if the guy even shakes your hand. You simply collect your money, pay the time, and leave as all of the rail birds whisper to each other.

Why are the two so much different? Winning is winning.

You can just as easily look at a tournament as a big gambling matchup. Or you can look at a gambling matchup as a two man tournament. So why is one embraced by the fans and the other not?

couldnthinkof01

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In gambling there is only one winner and one loser. People have sympathy for the loser.

In a tournament lots of people lost so someone could win and the losers are not alone. Also there is some consolation money in a tournament so folks figure, hey at least you got something!

JoeyA

Efren's Mini-Tourn BACKER
Silver Member
I understand about the feeling guilty but that hardly ever happens to me because I win so seldom.

How is winning, scary to you?

Thanks.

Many times in gambling contests only one or two or a few people are hurt by the loss and so people (railbirds don't want to cause any more hurt to the injured). In tournaments the hurt is spread around a lot more so people can be magnanimous.

JoeyA

Lately I've been on a hot streak. I've been pretty much beating everybody. Sometimes winning feels great, sometimes winning makes you feel guilty, and sometimes winning feels a little scary. Why is there such a variance?

When you win a tournament you feel great. People congratulate you, take your photo, and post the results on Facebook.

On the other hand, when you win a gambling matchup you're lucky if the guy even shakes your hand. You simply collect your money, pay the time, and leave as all of the rail birds whisper to each other.

Why are the two so much different? Winning is winning.

You can just as easily look at a tournament as a big gambling matchup. Or you can look at a gambling matchup as a two man tournament. So why is one embraced by the fans and the other not?

VIProfessor

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think it may also depend on whether you're winning or stealing. Whether a tournament or a gambling session, people appreciate a good match up. Conversely, slaughtering helpless lambs or winning games where one negotiated the nuts brings no satisfaction, outside of monetary reward, to the spectators or either player.

Last edited:

pwd72s

recreational banger
Silver Member
I think it may also depend on whether you're winning or stealing. Whether a tournament or a gambling session, people appreciate a good match up. Conversely, slaughtering helpless lambs or winning games where one negotiated the nuts brings no satisfaction, outside of monetary reward, to the spectators or either player.

Bingo! Well said.

BmoreMoney

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When you play in a tourney you can only lose a small amount ( entry fee ) where as when In action you can literally lose thou$and$ and thou $ands of dollars. Generally speaking ( about the hand shake ) the loser probably is not in a great mood once you have thoroughly snapped it off deep in them . Guess it all depends on not only the amount of money lost but also exactly how important the money was to that person. One person may lose $1000 bucks and it's no big deal to them while another guy might lose $50 and will be on FULL TILT because that was his kids diaper money - it's all relative.

Of course it's a great feeling when you win a tournament but IMO there's really no feeling like taking a big pile of money off the light immediately after snapping somebody off!!!

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In days gone by, the tournament was only a gathering place for the hustlers and gamblers. The real money exchanged hands during the non-tournament hours.

There aren't as many gamblers today as there once was. Most are tournament soldier pros, league players, or social shooters.

Pool should be fun. Gambling used to be fun, but it got to the point where everybody handicaps the heck out of a match to the point where it's not even gambling. People don't gamble; they're looking for somebody to drop their wallet.