Pool Players day jobs (No Doctors?)

eazyace

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not for the road warriors or maybe yes but have you ever met a pool player that was a doctor?

In my many years of playing at different pool halls i have never met a pool player that was a doctor.

Any out there ? Be nice to meet on in Cary or Raleigh NC.

chefjeff

If not now...
Silver Member
Williebetmore used to post here. He's a doctor.

I've played pool with him several times. He helped write that book with Mark what's his face from St. Louis.

He has studied the game better than most people I know. He started late but went into it like a scientist goes into space or into an atom, with vigor and determination and rational thinking and acting....full bore.

There's a guy over in npr, called Chopdoc who says he's a doctor.

Jeff Livingston

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
Not for the road warriors or maybe yes but have you ever met a pool player that was a doctor?

In my many years of playing at different pool halls i have never met a pool player that was a doctor.

Any out there ? Be nice to meet on in Cary or Raleigh NC.

Any medical doctor??? The one that many of us know on this board (Williebetmore) happens to have retired to South Carolina. (edit: I thought he was in NC, but he's in SC).

And isn't ChopDoc a medical doctor?

Last edited:

cscott67

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I r.....

OP,
I would say the reason you don't see many of us is due to work schedules and time management. The schooling part is pretty obvious as well as everything else one has to keep up with to practice a specialty. The flip side is that to stay in stroke unless you are/were a prodigy at some point with great mechanics requires a LOT of time.

Another thing to consider is the 'Pool" environment. If one grew up playing pool and had a love for the game before school, that really doesn't play a factor. However, most of the other medical professionals I know don't come from that kind of background.......... I was 12 when I started playing pool in the Boys Clubs. I worked as a mechanic/automotive tech thru high school and a few years after until I was able to go to college.

I played my best pool when I was 19-22, and after school it took a good three years to get near where I was at that age playing at least 5 days a week!! (roughly 12 year break) Now I play 3 days a week and have been playing again for about a year after 3-4 years off. Time is the key, Doc

Last edited:

Cardigan Kid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Doctor Dave...resident AZ billiards Doc is who I think of first regarding doctors and pool.

About 10 years ago, at Salt City Billiards, I met a very nice Indian gentleman who was a doctor at upstate medical center in Syracuse...he may have been doing his residency....we shot some, and I remember he had a great snooker stance and stroke...I still have him in my phone as Dr. AJ. (Maybe I'll give him a try after remember him from this thread).

We both were relatively new at the game, but I just remember having a good time shooting for a couple of hours.

ceodynamo

Have cue will travel
Silver Member
I had a good friend who was an optometrist, and he played lights out until, ironically enough, he couldn't see any more.

Chip Roberson

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Great Friend of mine, many years ago Dr. Harry Foster, here in Martinsville Va. Played well till time caught up, just like it does for us all. He loved the game, I helped recover the table in the Elks lodge where we were members and he and I had many rough and tumble games of one pocket in the afternoons while having a toddy or two. He was one of the folks that got Earl in there to run rough shod over me. :thumbup:

RIP Dr. Harry Foster , General Practitioner Martinsville Va.

Last edited:

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think there is a Cardiac something or other that had a Lotus for a icon that was a heart surgeon, but maybe I'm mixing things up with ER or some show, my wife has those things on all the time LOL

chefjeff

If not now...
Silver Member
I knew a proctologist that had a great break!

I'm sure his patients felt the same way on occasion.

Jeff Livingston

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Doctor Dave...resident AZ billiards Doc is who I think of first regarding doctors and pool.
I'm not an MD, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn last night. Also, I have a PhD in Mechanical Engineering, so I am officially a "Dr."

I and many other pool players also have a Doctorate of Pool (DP) from the Billiard University.

I have both a PhD and a DP, so I guess I should sign all post as "Dr. Dr. Dave." :grin-square:

Catch you later,
Dave (just a pool player)

TX Poolnut

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I use to play in a 9ball league with a PhD engineer that works at Johnson Space Center. Smart as a whip and could draw his rock quite well.