Looking to purchase a cue.. J Pechauer Cues any good

TheCutMaster

Registered
If you are thinking production. Save yourself the agony, and go with Mezz. :cool:

I'm not sure what exactly I am thinking just yet :confused: but mezz is definitely still in the running.

Kim has a pretty awesome thread on mezz shafts if you do decide to go that route.

https://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=379036

Thanks for this, i will definitely take a look!

I've owned two Pechauer cues over the years, one with a phenolic joint & one with an ivory joint, both played very well. I also ordered a second shaft for the one, and the shaft was very well made. Pechauer's are nice cues pick the look you like, and can afford, and enjoy.

I'm assuming that you have had/currently have other cues that you play with how does your Pechauer stack up to those cues you still have that are in the same price range. Did you feel limited in or not happy in the end with Pechauer? Why did you end up getting rid of them?

It is not the Cue that makes the player or person sink balls, get position, runs racks. It is skill, and knowledge. How is your skill & knowledge?:confused:

JMHO

BTW a McDermott will work if you want a good quality stick, need nothing more.

IMHO

You're 100000% correct about that. I have no grand expectations that buying an expensive still will do anything for my game except potentially make it worse if i don't choose the correct setup. That said i have been playing for around 15 years and shoot pretty decent. Used to play a lot more when i was in leagues but real life happens so no i play in mostly bars and house tables. My knowledge is decent but i have been working a lot of learning the diamond systems to improve my multi rail kicks as thats an area of the game i need to improve on.

I got the chance to hit a few (un chalked) McDermott cues at the shop but since they don't let you chalk them up its just kinda more if you like the feel and look of the cue.

nj82tj

The dude abides.
Silver Member
You will not be disappointed with a Pechauer cue. If you are ordering from them directly, see if you can get a different joint pin than their speed joint. It will just open up options for you. I did see a nice Pechauer sneaky on FB somewhere with a Revo. It looked like brand new and was about $800. That being said, you are well within the range of some nice customs. I would look hard at a Diveney, if you can find one...But, you won't be disappointed with a Pechauer... Good luck!

TheCutMaster

Registered
You will not be disappointed with a Pechauer cue. If you are ordering from them directly, see if you can get a different joint pin than their speed joint. It will just open up options for you. I did see a nice Pechauer sneaky on FB somewhere with a Revo. It looked like brand new and was about $800. That being said, you are well within the range of some nice customs. I would look hard at a Diveney, if you can find one...But, you won't be disappointed with a Pechauer... Good luck!

all the ones i saw on the website seem to come with that speed joint. But from what others are saying their shafts are pretty well made as well so im hoping im ok. Thanks for the info!

nj82tj

The dude abides.
Silver Member
all the ones i saw on the website seem to come with that speed joint. But from what others are saying their shafts are pretty well made as well so im hoping im ok. Thanks for the info!

Absolutely. You won’t be disappointed. 👍

TheCutMaster

Registered
So after hours of looking at different cues i went with the Pechauer P16H with the pro + 12.75 shaft. It just arrived today and is even more striking in person then in the pictures! I can't wait to try it out tonight!!

Coop1701

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So after hours of looking at different cues i went with the Pechauer P16H with the pro + 12.75 shaft. It just arrived today and is even more striking in person then in the pictures! I can't wait to try it out tonight!!

Keep us posted on how you like it. I have not tried their cues. But I have tried some others, OB, Predator.., But I love my Mezz. If you get a chance to try one. Take it.

Kimmo H.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Now that is one pretty cue you got in the end :)

Please do let us know how it plays. The look department is definitely taken care of with that model and if it plays half as good as it looks then I think you chose well :wink:

ddg45

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Do you feel compelled to spend $700? Why? All the brands you mention start well below that, and their low-end cues play exactly like their $1000 cues, the only difference being the number in inlays and how exotic the woods used. Do you want to buy a cue made in the U.S? I love my Pechauer. If you look at their website it talks about how every component they use is made in-house. They even bought their own timberland so they could farm their own trees. Who else does that? QC is extremely high and you can choose their JP or Pro series, which are made in the same way but with different joints so JP is a little softer, Pro a little firmer hit and more expensive only due to the style of inlays and the exotic nature of the woods used. They do use their own joint though, so after-market options may be limited, however they do offer both standard solid maple and a low deflection laminated shaft. I've called them and they're also excellent people to work with. Stay away from Meucci as you will see a number of very negative comments about them on this site, with warpage, defects and poor customer service seemingly issues over recent years.

Stellar1024

Registered
Do you feel compelled to spend $700? Why? All the brands you mention start well below that, and their low-end cues play exactly like their $1000 cues, the only difference being the number in inlays and how exotic the woods used. Do you want to buy a cue made in the U.S? I love my Pechauer. If you look at their website it talks about how every component they use is made in-house. They even bought their own timberland so they could farm their own trees. Who else does that? QC is extremely high and you can choose their JP or Pro series, which are made in the same way but with different joints so JP is a little softer, Pro a little firmer hit and more expensive only due to the style of inlays and the exotic nature of the woods used.

Most people looking to buy a nice cue stick care about more than simply how it plays. It's nice to shoot with a cue that plays good but also looks amazing and makes you feel confident. If no one cared about looks, high end cues wouldn't exist.

Also, there's a number of differences beyond what you named between the pro and jp Pechauer, including Jerry going over each pro series to ensure quality, then signing off on it.

TheCutMaster

Registered
So after about 2 weeks with the new cue I must say, as you all suggested the cue has far exceeded my expectations. I randomly lay the case on my bed and just open it up and stare at how gorgeous it is haha.

I elected to have a stacked black leather wrap installed before shipping out to me and that was a great idea. Makes the cue look that much better the makes a WORLD of a difference in comfort and feel over the default linen wrap. It took very little adjustment and the feel, hit, and balance of the cue are far superior to my 15 year old players cue. I think me and this cue will have a long lasting relationship:grin: I now run a 9-ball team so will be getting plenty of use out of this baby and couldn't be happier.

I called up Pechauer and and spoke to Jon and personally thanked him for producing a superior product and how beautiful the cue is. Some may think it is just an over priced piece of wood that I could have purchased for hundreds less. But I love it so that's all that matters!

Do you feel compelled to spend $700? Why? All the brands you mention start well below that, and their low-end cues play exactly like their $1000 cues, the only difference being the number in inlays and how exotic the woods used. Do you want to buy a cue made in the U.S? I love my Pechauer. If you look at their website it talks about how every component they use is made in-house. They even bought their own timberland so they could farm their own trees. Who else does that? QC is extremely high and you can choose their JP or Pro series, which are made in the same way but with different joints so JP is a little softer, Pro a little firmer hit and more expensive only due to the style of inlays and the exotic nature of the woods used. They do use their own joint though, so after-market options may be limited, however they do offer both standard solid maple and a low deflection laminated shaft. I've called them and they're also excellent people to work with. Stay away from Meucci as you will see a number of very negative comments about them on this site, with warpage, defects and poor customer service seemingly issues over recent years.

I'm aware of that. But I wanted to treat myself. I fully aware that someone who is better then my am will still wipe the floor with me with the butt of a broom handle and one hand. But that still doesn't change the fact that I wanted to buy myself a nice cue!

Now that is one pretty cue you got in the end :)

Please do let us know how it plays. The look department is definitely taken care of with that model and if it plays half as good as it looks then I think you chose well :wink:

I have to say your picture captures the two things I like the most. Pool and bourbon :thumbup::thumbup:

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So you got this?

p16h_1510669438_pechauer_p16_h_850.jpg

I don't think I ever commented in this thread before, but I have commented before on these cues.

Nice shaft wood eh?

Best of luck with your cue. :smile:

TEAM SLO

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Congrats on the beautiful cue.... My son and I both have our own although he is getting another higher end cue from Pechauer soon.

Another thing is EVERYTHING is made in house by the team there and their customer service is top notch.

My son has a 48" but now 51" JP series with the LD shaft while I have a prototype and the Canterbury CAM10. My sons new cue is the P22-H and will be I believe 53" (he is 8).

Attachments

• 20180320_145306.jpg
    20180320_145306.jpg
    188.8 KB · Views: 425
  • 20180320_145429.jpg
    20180320_145429.jpg
    185.1 KB · Views: 421
Last edited:

jokrswylde

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You can say I have a thing for Peaches! My only problem is determining which one to play with...

picture.php

ddg45

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Great choice! A classic look and I hope you continue to enjoy it. I'm actually in the same position. Although I earlier counseled conservative spending I already own a lower end Pechauer and although it plays great I plan to buy myself something I think is better-looking for Christmas. Blindfolded I know I won't be able to tell the difference but there's just something about the good feeling of pulling a beautiful cue out of your case...

TEAM SLO

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Blindfolded I know I won't be able to tell the difference but there's just something about the good feeling of pulling a beautiful cue out of your case...

This is the biggest truth many dont ever want to admit.

DrCue'sProtege

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am thinking about purchasing this exact same cue in the next couple of days. Was wondering if CutMaster could post some pics as i'd like to see what the leather wrap looks like.

Plus I also sent CutMaster a PM.

r/DCP