Cue stolen at pool room - culprit found - what would you do?

Buckzapper

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My cues are all custom. Take one of my Scruggs and I'll use the butt of my jump break like a golf club between your legs. I'm sorry if you got injured during the commission of a crime. Stealing has consequences.

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
Learning to be accountable, honest, hard working and responsible is always good for them.

Parents and family are the ones that teach you that

The police wont give him that impression, only thay jail sucks but that too isn't enough for so many
Members of my family regularly run a foul of the law and seem to love going to jail

Not me, never spent more than 3 days in for traffic stuff and thats all i need to make me want to live clean amd free

Cause inside, its neither of those lol

Swighey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Let it go. The thief wants you to let it go. The police want you to let it go. The courts, judges and lawyers want you to let it go (they won’t make much money out of a stolen pool cue case). You got your cue back.

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Gold Member
Silver Member
Main thing is you got it back KC. Stealing someones cue is real low and cheesy. Could have been an heirloom, passed down from parent or friend that passed or a custom you waited 10 years to get.

I like the idea of posting up his name and pic if possible with CUE THIEF across it in pool room(s) in area.

I never leave my Cues unattended - PERIOD

-Kat,

Just a point of clarification; the stolen cue was not mine; it was a friend who regularly plays in our senior day league.

@pt109; yes, it was one of the Huebler's with the nylon-inserted shaft so a hitman may well have been in order. :grin-square:

Cue value is approx $500.

An interesting variety of responses from you guys on what to do with the offender.

best,
brian kc

michael4

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
this guy has a serious character flaw.
Arrested and booked, so the police have his fingerprints and he learns a lesson.

After that you can ask that the charges be dropped (if you want to)

jackpot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What is wrong with you people

This young man is the victim. He may be a dreamer, or snatched from is
weeping mothers arms as an infant. This is obviously Trumps fault.
This young man needs government handouts, not punishment. Lets show
what true Americans we are at AZ and start a fund to help him.The
AZHCT fund, (AZers help cue thief)
jack

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Life is filled with lessons to be learned pretty much at any age.

Forgiveness is divine, except when you take what is mine.

If this person did this once without repercussions, chances are it will happen again.

Either let the police handle it or a good old ass kicking is deserved but doing nothing,
well, I really don't think any lesson will be learned by this thief. And I am not advocating
violence. Who among us hasn't had their ass kicked when it was earned or justified.

It really comes down to changing his ways and you cannot wish, hope or pray that a dishonest
person.......let's call it like it is....a thief......will change their ways unless there has been some
consequences for their behaviour. Some added incentive is needed for him to see the light
and change......attending Bible class won't accomplish a thing.....The next time he does some
stealing, he could pick the wrong person to mess around with and it might cost him everything.

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
let him off so next time he will be smarter and do his deeds where there isnt a camera. like raping or robbing and beating someone in the woods or park.
all you let him off people, wont be so happy if next time its violent and its a relative or close loved one.

do you really think this was his first time he did something like this. just the first time caught.

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would think it depends on his criminal history as to what you do. For sure tell the room owner and let the regulars know who he is.

Not blaming the owner of the cue but what was he doing when the cue was stolen? My cue goes to the mens room with me.

Johnny Rosato

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would think it depends on his criminal history as to what you do. For sure tell the room owner and let the regulars know who he is.

Not blaming the owner of the cue but what was he doing when the cue was stolen? My cue goes to the mens room with me.
How do you find out his criminal history, ask him? lol

Dead Money

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

If you are talking to a detective about pressing charges they can find out and tell you as far as I know. For me if it was his first offense I would consider letting it go...but if he has a history of these things he would be prosecuted for sure!!

decent dennis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Was the cue in a case? Did he actually break it down and put it under his jacket or was it already unscrewed? If he walked up and took the time to unscrew and hide and walk out with it then something must be done.

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I don't know where you live but here in Missouri we have something we call police. Unfortunately we also have something we call judges who tend to release criminals back onto the street.

He might have an outstanding warrant. You won't know if you don't check. Kickin didn't give us all the details in his op. If the guy is in a gang I'd probably handle it differently than if he is just loser meth head.

Last edited:

Bic D

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Was the cue in a case? Did he actually break it down and put it under his jacket or was it already unscrewed? If he walked up and took the time to unscrew and hide and walk out with it then something must be done.

With respect, this doesn't make much sense. If he took time to break it down, hide it and walk out, then you believe something must be done...but, if the cue was in the case and he stuffed it under his coat and walked out then it's a different situation???

Stealing is stealing no matter how it's done. It's not a mistake, it's a conscious decision to deprive someone of their property.

It's a pain in the ass to go through the legal system for a matter like this, but if you don't, then the thief gets a freebe. He can go on to steal again and if caught, he might get another break b/c nothing is on his record.

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Gold Member
Silver Member
If getting caught isn't enough, pressing charges will just put a bigger chip on his shoulder.

also with respect, if he stole from me, fvvk him his shoulder, and all the rest of him.

I do like the idea of checking his record and only if he's clean would I offer some kind of 'get out of jail' arrangement where like some others have suggested, community service or service at the pool room, etc.

No way would I ever just let it go and be happy he handed the police my cue back. What lesson does the young man learn from that?

Some have commented that the courts wouldn't be interested in being tied-up with such a case or that the victim wouldn't want to go through all of that but unless I'm very mistaken, with video evidence of the crime and the guy having the stolen cue at his house giving it back to the cops when they came, this is simple for the courts and likely no appearance from the victim would be required.

I just saw very recently that the AMA or Pediatric Society or some such organaization has just reversed their opinion now saying they no longer endorse children being spanked when they do wrong. Can't wait to see how that all works out.

We'll likely know better in 15 - 20 years. :confused::rolleyes:

best,
brian kc

Bic D

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
also with respect, if he stole from me, fvvk him his shoulder, and all the rest of him.

I do like the idea of checking his record and only if he's clean would I offer some kind of 'get out of jail' arrangement where like some others have suggested, community service or service at the pool room, etc.

No way would I ever just let it go and be happy he handed the police my cue back. What lesson does the young man learn from that?

Some have commented that the courts wouldn't be interested in being tied-up with such a case or that the victim wouldn't want to go through all of that but unless I'm very mistaken, with video evidence of the crime and the guy having the stolen cue at his house giving it back to the cops when they came, this is simple for the courts and likely no appearance from the victim would be required.

I just saw very recently that the AMA or Pediatric Society or some such organaization has just reversed their opinion now saying they no longer endorse children being spanked when they do wrong. Can't wait to see how that all works out.

We'll likely know better in 15 - 20 years. :confused::rolleyes:

best,
brian kc

Once the case came to trial, it would be an obvious slam dunk that would take less than 20 mins to adjudicate, however the victim would have to be in attendance in the event that the defendant pled not guilty. Someone (victim) has to testify that he/she was the owner of the property that was stolen. Law enforcement can't do that.

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Gold Member
Silver Member
Once the case came to trial, it would be an obvious slam dunk that would take less than 20 mins to adjudicate, however the victim would have to be in attendance in the event that the defendant pled not guilty. Someone (victim) has to testify that he/she was the owner of the property that was stolen. Law enforcement can't do that.

correct me if I'm wrong but pretty much no such cases ever get as far as a trial because the accused party's lawyer would be strongly moving toward pleading out the case instead given the irrefutable evidence.

cuesblues

cue accumulator
Silver Member
At Table Steaks in Englewood, CO before it was Felt Billiards a guy was caught
playing with a recently stolen cue and the Englewood police refused to do anything about it.
The legal owner even brought in the cuemaker who happen to live close by and they still wouldn't get it back.
Coincidentally that same cue was sold on Ebay and put up for sale here on AZ.
Guys who contacted me asking if it was a good deal I asked them if they really wanted to bring a stolen cue back into the state.

Around the same time a friend who lives a few blocks away from Table Steaks had his
snowblower stolen out of his back yard, found it at a local pawn shop, and got it back no problem.

From day one the Englewood cops did not like the idea of Table Steaks moving in, and they made it obvious.
That stolen cue was valued at double what the snowblower was worth.

Bic D

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
correct me if I'm wrong but pretty much no such cases ever get as far as a trial because the accused party's lawyer would be strongly moving toward pleading out the case instead given the irrefutable evidence.

Assuming the defendant even obtained counsel...with the fact that there is video evidence AND the pool cue found found in the possession of the defendant...I can't imagine any attorney taking that case to trial unless he just wanted a pay day.

With that said, I had an attorney plead his client not guilty to armed robbery one time. He too was captured on CCTV, and later the weapon was retrieved along with some of the money.

His defense was that he "heard" the store was going to be robbed and the "person" doing it was probably going to shoot the clerk. He was doing everyone, especially the clerk, a favor by robbing the store first. An attorney took that case to trial. Jury deliberation = walk out, vote, walk back in, 6 mins