Is Max Eberle as big as a goof as I now think?

BmoreMoney

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Happened to run across one of his " flat earth " discussions on FB. The oceans are held in place by ice walls, in which no one is allowed to go past because of the Antarctica treaty. The sun revolves around the earth, BTW the sun is only 3000 miles away, same size as the moon ( 32 miles diameter ). On and on and on.......... Put the pipe................

BTW I'm all for a good conspiracy theory every now and then, so what's the thoughts on why " they " want us to think the earth is round???

Last edited:

West Point 1987

On the Hill, Out of Gas
Silver Member
Not sure about the flat Earth stuff, but there's something to be said about the center of the universe...I think Stephen Hawking recently talked about it. Think of the Universe as a pool full of eddies...lots of things swirling around each other, in different orbits and directions. If you discount the bank of the stream, you can anchor your perspective on any twig or leaf in the stream and consider that the "center perspective", and everything else is moving in relation to it. Looking at the universe this way, if you "anchor" to the Earth, than everything else is rotating around it, just at different orbits, directions and paths. This theory is a re-examination of five hundred years of attempting to find the true center of the Universe (proving the Big Bang theory), which scientists haven't been able to do. If you can't anchor the universe to a single point by which to gauge all the bodies moving in relation to, then what does it matter what you use as an anchor point?

I wouldn't know, but I've heard it helps to smoke some pretty primo weed to see this clearly...:wink:

Last edited:

Straightpool_99

I see dead balls
Silver Member
Happened to run across one of his " flat earth " discussions on FB. The oceans are held in place by ice walls, in which no one is allowed to go past because of the Antarctica treaty. The sun revolves around the earth, BTW the sun is only 3000 miles away, same size as the moon ( 32 miles diameter ). On and on and on.......... Put the pipe................

BTW I'm all for a good conspiracy theory every now and then, so what's the thoughts on why " they " want us to think the earth is round???

Leave it to conspiracy nuts to hatch a "hypothesis" that can be disproven by a wooden stick and a bit of travel on a camel. A fascinating story, that never gets old, how a brilliant Greek astronomer, Eratosthenes of Cyrus, living in Alexandria, calculated the size of the Earths circumference within either 2% or 16% of it's actual size(somewhat disputed) using these means. I don't know about you guys, but we were taught this in Maths class in school, pretty early on as well. We were taught 16%, btw, which may have been an injustice to the man.

http://scienceblogs.com/startswithabang/2011/09/21/who-discovered-the-earth-is-ro/

What a shame it is, that in a world where everything depends on satellite communication, nitwits cannot grasp the simplest of facts.

Leave it to conspiracy nuts to hatch a "hypothesis" that can be disproven by a wooden stick and a bit of travel on a camel. A fascinating story, that never gets old, how a brilliant Greek astronomer, Eratosthenes of Cyrus, living in Alexandria, calculated the size of the Earths circumference within either 2% or 16% of it's actual size(somewhat disputed) using these means. I don't know about you guys, but we were taught this in Maths class in school, pretty early on as well. We were taught 16%, btw, which may have been an injustice to the man.

http://scienceblogs.com/startswithabang/2011/09/21/who-discovered-the-earth-is-ro/

What a shame it is, that in a world where everything depends on satellite communication, nitwits cannot grasp the simplest of facts.

This is 'murica, the only thing we were taught in math classes was that a .308 is bigger than a 5.56...and that 5.56=15 and .308=10.

It's all very complicated and I expect your merry olde sensibilities would prohibit you from a proper understanding.

[note, above is all tongue-in-cheek, I too learned and remembered the calculations of the diameter of the earth.]

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
Max is out there at the moment in apparently full belief that the Earth is flat and that the Sun and Moon are only 3000 miles up and rotate around the flat earth like desk lamps illuminating a portion of the flat earth at a time which explains time zones.

He has bought into all of it fully OR he is massively trolling his friend's list. Me and Max are cool but we fundamentally disagree and I stopped even discussing it with him. He thinks it's all a giant conspiracy to keep us from knowing that the earth is flat.

Apparently some guy named Eric Dubay is the FE expert, a wannabe Bruce Lee type who lives in Thailand and who believes in every conspiracy theory out there.

No amount of evidence has been able to sway Max so......he is either living in the delusion or we are.

JC

Coos Cues
Max was up at our Western BCA regional event all week last week and I got the chance to chat with him about a lot of stuff non pool related.

I found there to be nothing goofy about him. Just a genuine smart, nice guy.

Last edited:

westcoast

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Corey Deuel has made fun of Max on facebook on several occasions- about the flat earth and "faked" lunar landing. It seems like he thinks Max is a fool or perhaps it is just good natured ridicule.

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
Corey Deuel has made fun of Max on facebook on several occasions- about the flat earth and "faked" lunar landing. It seems like he thinks Max is a fool or perhaps it is just good natured ridicule.

Corey actually thinks a lot about these and other things and if he ribs Max it's just friendly between them.

Corey and I had a long conversation about this a few weeks ago and he is considerate of some of the points that Max brings up.

Some people think that the conspiracy theories serve to keep us skeptical and thinking rather than be blindly accepting. Some folks think that the Flat Earth Society was created for that purpose, essentially to troll people into doing their own thinking about WHY they know the earth is round instead of just believing it because they were told it.

And in an interesting twist it seems that there are true Hard Core Flat Earthers who do consider the Flat Earth Society to be shill organization for the Masonic World Domination group who wants to keep us all from knowing that the earth is flat.

Max is out there at the moment in apparently full belief that the Earth is flat and that the Sun and Moon are only 3000 miles up and rotate around the flat earth like desk lamps illuminating a portion of the flat earth at a time which explains time zones.

He has bought into all of it fully OR he is massively trolling his friend's list. Me and Max are cool but we fundamentally disagree and I stopped even discussing it with him. He thinks it's all a giant conspiracy to keep us from knowing that the earth is flat.

Apparently some guy named Eric Dubay is the FE expert, a wannabe Bruce Lee type who lives in Thailand and who believes in every conspiracy theory out there.

No amount of evidence has been able to sway Max so......he is either living in the delusion or we are.

Don't you consider this a good reason to keep the cut n thrust of a message board, rather than the 'block anyone who dares to disagree with me' approach on Facebook?

Being a man of science and that?

ENGLISH!

Banned
Silver Member
Not sure about the flat Earth stuff, but there's something to be said about the center of the universe...I think Stephen Hawking recently talked about it. Think of the Universe as a pool full of eddies...lots of things swirling around each other, in different orbits and directions. If you discount the bank of the stream, you can anchor your perspective on any twig or leaf in the stream and consider that the "center perspective", and everything else is moving in relation to it. Looking at the universe this way, if you "anchor" to the Earth, than everything else is rotating around it, just at different orbits, directions and paths. This theory is a re-examination of five hundred years of attempting to find the true center of the Universe (proving the Big Bang theory), which scientists haven't been able to do. If you can't anchor the universe to a single point by which to gauge all the bodies moving in relation to, then what does it matter what you use as an anchor point?

I wouldn't know, but I've heard it helps to smoke some pretty primo weed to see this clearly...:wink:

That's just a simple take off slant on Einstein's Theory of Relativity. I don't think Hawking believes in God & perhaps that is why he 'leans away' for the Big Bang Theory, "Everything from 'Nothing'".

Colonel

Raised by Wolves in a Pool Hall
Silver Member
I've known Max for over 20 years, he used to play out of my old pool hall in Virginia.

Very nice guy, very good player, very philosophical. Also very different, but life would be boring if we were all the same now wouldn't it.

cardiac kid

Super Senior Member
Silver Member
I wonder if Max thinks the earth is level or if we should have RKC level it and replace the felt and ice rails

There's some funny sheit!! Remember, Max and Glen might be tight. The next really big one on the left coast might be nothing but Glen yanking hard on the felt!!!

Lyn