Big action, Kevin Cheng vs DD

Mich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sounds pretty even on paper. I'd say Aranas' "A" game is a little stronger than Kevin's, but his average game is dead even with Kevin's average game.
But wasn't Kevin's A game good enough to win a US Open?

FeelDaShot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How many BNR by each? Did Cheng play that bad?

DD was on fire and running out from everywhere for most of the match. He came out of the gate looking very relaxed, determined, and confident in himself. He rarely missed a pot, safety, or position. DD was clearly ready for this match and jumped out to an early lead. I try to watch all of DD’s streamed matches so I know his game very well. He looked much more conformable than he usually does in tough tournament matches.

DD’s only problem was his break. He had about 4 dry breaks in a row at one point and was really struggling. When he did make a ball, he usually had to push out afterwards. Not many chances for packages. If his break was working, I bet he would have been putting 3 or 4 packs together regularly. His runout game looked effortless.

Cheng didn’t play as bad as it seemed. I think he was having trouble settling in since DD was controlling the table for the first few hours of the match and had an early lead. Whenever Cheng got an opportunity it seemed that his speed control would be a little off. He played a lot of safeties and many times the cue ball would come up an inch short which would leave DD an opportunity to play a nice safe back. If Cheng’s safeties were executed a little better this would have been a much closer match.

The few times that Cheng developed a rhythm his run would end early due to an unfortunate layout after the break or something similar. Then he would sit down for a while and come back looking a little uncomfortable again. He was losing the entire match which might have got to his head early on.

Cheng was breaking good but he would often have a tough shot on the one ball. Somehow, he ended up being forced to shoot a lot of steep cuts into the side pocket from narrow angles. He missed a few too many of these and DD always capitalized. He also seemed to be getting a little fortunate with his breaks. The usual balls (2nd row balls or corner balls) were not going in yet a ball would get kicked weird and go in randomly. The same rolls on the break were not happening for DD.

With so many dry breaks from DD, Cheng had plenty of opportunities mid-match but kept failing to hold control of the table. I went to bed when it was around 16-12 and Cheng was slowly closing the gap. I’m not sure what happened after that. My guess is that DD finally started making balls on the break and running out.

I don’t think there were many packages (if any). Maybe a two pack from each player?

The bet increased to $48,000 prior to the match. The announcers kept saying that side bets were a lot higher than $48k and they were waiting for an exact figure. I’m not sure if the amount was ever released.

FeelDaShot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
James aranas.

Dodong diamond.

Means beefsteak Charlie, translated.

lol

Dodong is a generic nickname for a boy. If Dodong Diamond was translated it would be similar to saying Diamond Kid, Diamond Boy, Diamond Dude, etc.

He got the nickname Diamond when he was younger because his haircut stuck up in the front forming a diamond shape.

Dodong and Beta (As in Efren Beta Reyes) are the same thing in different languages. They both mean "boy".

Tagalog (language in Manila): Beta
Basaya (langauge in southern islands): Dodong

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not sure where you got that info from, but I'm sticking with beefsteak Charlie
lol

Dodong is a generic nickname for a boy. If Dodong Diamond was translated it would be similar to saying Diamond Kid, Diamond Boy, Diamond Dude, etc.

He got the nickname Diamond when he was younger because his haircut stuck up in the front forming a diamond shape.

Dodong and Beta (As in Efren Beta Reyes) are the same thing in different languages. They both mean "boy".

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
lol

It's BATA, not Beta. Bata also means a young boy in BISAYA ( southern Filipino dialect ).
Dodong is more of a young lad.
Leonardo Andam was known as Dodong Dadianggas b/c he came from Gen San ( Pacquiao's town ).

CreeDo

Fargo Rating 597
Silver Member
I think the closest equivalent in english to DD's name is "Kid Diamond" which has
certain feel, like a nickname for someone who is young but getting famous.
Like "Kid Delicious", "The Sundance Kid", "Kid Poker".

"Diamond Boy" sounds kinda derogatory to me, like saying "Water Boy" or "Ball Boy" :p

In terms of play, DD was able to hit his top gear and stay there for a bit longer than Kevin.

Packages, according to Roy on Facebook:

DD: 5pk 3pk 4pk
Kevin: 3pk 4pk

FeelDaShot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
DD: 5pk 3pk 4pk
Kevin: 3pk 4pk

These numbers cannot be correct. Earlier in this forum I documented each game until the score was 14-9.

From what I've documented:

DD: 3 Break n Runs, No packages
Cheng: 4 Break n Runs, 1 Two Pack

The final score was 25-15. That means DD won 11 more games after I stopped recording. 5pk + 3pk + 4pk = 11 games. In order to break, you need to win the previous game. So this is mathematically impossible.

Also for Cheng, he won 6 more games after I stopped recording. 3pk + 4pk = 7 games. Also mathematically impossible.