NEW CF Carbon Fiber Shaft Not Straight. Input Needed

logical

Loose Rack
Silver Member
To have a worthwhile opinion I would have to see it and roll it myself.

Without knowing anything about this shaft, you would think a carbon fiber shaft would be laser straight.

The carbon fiber is just a tube and tubes are not always perfect, but for what they are

charging they can afford to discard the blanks with a roll or defect.

Call them seconds or blems and charge half.

Someone I know got a Revo with a little lump in it.
Yeah, I suppose it is a tube but there are multiple steps to making it, carbon fiber doesn't grow out of the ground shaped like a cue shaft. They are a composite product made from resin and fillers with carbon fiber reinforcements as one component introduced in one of dozens of steps in the manufacturing process. It's no different from the occasional defect in a automotive tire, a boat hull that cracks or a cake that tastes bad.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

cuesblues

cue accumulator
Silver Member
Yeah, I suppose it is a tube but there are multiple steps to making it, carbon fiber doesn't grow out of the ground shaped like a cue shaft. They are a composite product made from resin and fillers with carbon fiber reinforcements as one component introduced in one of dozens of steps in the manufacturing process. It's no different from the occasional defect in a automotive tire, a boat hull that cracks or a cake that tastes bad.

You were doing good until the cake analogy

That's why I buy rod instead of tube for ferrule material.
The manufacturing process is completely different, rod is much stronger and straight

logical

Loose Rack
Silver Member
You were doing good until the cake analogy

That's why I buy rod instead of tube for ferrule material.

The manufacturing process is completely different, rod is much stronger and straight
Fair enough, I've never baked a cake but I do have 35 years in engineering doing design, development, testing, manufacturing and analysis of composites including carbon fiber reinforced products made by multiple processes.

I think just how the carbon fiber is used in these products is widely misunderstood.

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks everyone. It's going back for a refund. I'm not playing this game.

Have a nice weekend.

What game lol You haven’t even given the seller a chance to make it right. Shit happens. Sounds like you changed your mind about your purchase and our looking for an out.

bstroud

Deceased
I have been to the factory in China where most of the CF shafts are made.

They are made on a computer controlled machine that wraps the carbon filaments around a steel mandrel. Some of the elements are radial and some are longitudinal. After everything drys they are ground and finished.

It is almost impossible to make one perfectly straight.

Bill S.

logical

Loose Rack
Silver Member
I have been to the factory in China where most of the CF shafts are made.

They are made on a computer controlled machine that wraps the carbon filaments around a steel mandrel. Some of the elements are radial and some are longitudinal. After everything drys they are ground and finished.

It is almost impossible to make one perfectly straight.

Bill S.
And that carbon fiber is impregnated with resin that holds it all together. Its bound to shrink and cure with some variation depending on how perfectly everything is distributed and the fibers are oriented.

I think it's a great use of carbon but I think some people picture carbon fiber as a block of material that gets turned down on a lathe to be round. It's more of a compiling process building up on the mandrel.

JessEm

AzB Goldmember
Silver Member
What game? Everyone said to refund it

The "game" I referred to was just the dealers response; "maybe they'll take it back, maybe they wont..."

What game lol You haven’t even given the seller a chance to make it right. Shit happens. Sounds like you changed your mind about your purchase and our looking for an out.

Sounds like you missed a couple posts since the OP. The dealer HAS offered to make it right, but, "with stipulations". The "stipulations" is the concerning part because a return/exchange hinges on their assertion that "all CF shafts have a slight roll". This directly contradicts people saying their CFs are laser-straight... Also, your spiel about regretting this purchase is wrong. I love this cue and it's a complete bummer it's not straight/needs to be returned.

Well, I asked what should be expected in terms of straightness and it sounds like there's some disagreement on the subject... I guess ultimately, as the buyer, I have to decide what I feel is acceptable. Shopping online does have its challenges.

I'll try posting a video of the roll tomorrow if I have time. Thanks for the feedback.

Johnny Rosato

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Fair enough, I've never baked a cake but I do have 35 years in engineering doing design, development, testing, manufacturing and analysis of composites including carbon fiber reinforced products made by multiple processes.

I think just how the carbon fiber is used in these products is widely misunderstood.

You've never baked a cake? wow

logical

Loose Rack
Silver Member
You've never baked a cake? wow
I don't like cake. I cook extensively, but no I have very little interest in desserts. I've baked pies. You should taste my cashew pie.

Is baked Alaska a cake?...I've done that.

JessEm

AzB Goldmember
Silver Member
That's pretty bad. Who made it? Let us know. What's the point of a forum if stuff like this is kept secret?

garczar, I'm hesitant to put the name out there for a couple reasons.

A. The company in question has received crap on here for reasons that turned out to be more personal in nature, than related to the quality of their products. (Not that this situation is helping their cause, at least not is my mind anyway..) I've seen at least a couple instances (posts) of this.

B. I don't want to unnecessarily muddy the waters for future people considering this brand, if indeed the one I received turns out to be an "outlier" example... It went back to them today in the mail so we shall see... I'm replacing it with the exact same shaft. Possibly from a different dealer, though...

All that said, it's a Meucci Carbon Pro.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

A. The company in question has received crap on here for reasons that turned out to be more personal in nature, than related to the quality of their products. (Not that this situation is helping their cause, at least not is my mind anyway..) I've seen at least a couple instances (posts) of this.

B. I don't want to unnecessarily muddy the waters for future people considering this brand, if indeed the one I received turns out to be an "outlier" example... It went back to them today in the mail so we shall see... I'm replacing it with the exact same shaft. Possibly from a different dealer, though...

We the consumers should know this stuff and hold the manuf's. feet to the fire. These things are NOT cheap and should be straight. If not perfectly straight it outta be better than what you showed in your video. I've had some REALLY hi-end cues where shaft wasn't perfect but close enough and they played fine. Meucci should make this right.

logical

Loose Rack
Silver Member

I think you could have waited a few days for them to reply before creating all the drama about keeping it private and then mentioning it anyhow.

I'm sure it's an outlier and I don't see how it is the dealer's fault. I suppose they could have rolled it before shipping but I seriously doubt any retailer does on mail order shafts.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think you could have waited a few days for them to reply before creating all the drama about keeping it private and then mentioning it anyhow.

I'm sure it's an outlier and I don't see how it is the dealer's fault. I suppose they could have rolled it before shipping but I seriously doubt any retailer does on mail order shafts.
I agree. They pull from stock and ship. They probably outta do a roll test to keep from this drama.

JessEm

AzB Goldmember
Silver Member

Logical, duly noted...

Not trying to create drama. Just looking for some direction on this. Had I taken the dealers response as gospel, I might be feeling like I'm kinda "stuck with it"...

That said, I did want to be clear this might just be a bad one, and not indicative of all their CFs...

Last edited:

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Logical, duly noted...

Not trying to create drama. Just looking for some direction on this. Had I taken the dealers response as gospel as gospel, it might not be going back at all...

That said, I did want to make it clear this might just be a bad one and is not indicative of all their CFs...
QC should catch this. They could sell those that don't meet a certain criteria as seconds(at a discount of course).

logical

Loose Rack
Silver Member
Logical, duly noted...

Not trying to create drama. Just looking for some direction on this. Had I taken the dealers response as gospel, I might be feeling like I'm kinda "stuck with it"...

That said, I did want to be clear this might just be a bad one, and might not be indicative of all their CFs...
I didn't see anything here about the dealers response, all I saw was you wrote two paragraphs on why you should and were going to hold off on saying who made it...followed in the next sentence by telling us who it was.

Last edited: