Poolfiend

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nice review Marek. But I was shocked that you feel the cue ball deflection is slightly higher with the 12.0mm Prime M shaft, versus the REVO 12.4mm shaft. (I have a 12.0mm REVO and it has slightly less cue ball deflection than the 12.4mm REVO).

I just assumed that 12.0mm Prime-M would have slightly less than REVO 12.4mm, not that it would make one better playing than the other.

JoeyA

Joey: Where did you get a 12mm Revo? I thought they only came in 12.4 and 12.9?

Cardigan Kid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I agree!

As someone that has used becue prime, prime m, cuetec and revos, I can say that the becue prime m and cuetec are neck in neck in deflection, feel and stiffness.

Revo however is much lower in deflection than becue prime m and cuetec and is stiffer than either as well.

It's clear to most than revos are out performing all other CF shafts made currently.

Now, having said the above, I will be switching to becue if predator does not start matching Becue's customer service, as well as, giving options for shaft length, width and pins.

I feel that we pool players have given revo plenty of time to meet the "needs" of their customers as a "whole" and to stop forcing us to accept a cookie cutter shaft, regardless of how well it performs.

The customer should have a say in what they pay for at some point. Otherwise, like myself, some or even a lot of them will move to another brand even if they have to adjust to a higher deflection and a little less stiffness..... eventhough, the "feel" would be a plus.

Becue and Cuetec regardless of deflection and stiffness will be taking their place in the market very soon. To me, it's a good thing. Maybe at some point that will cause the price point to adjust. Not to mention, may even cause one of them to push the technology even further to gain an edge.

Rake

Absolutely agree. BeCue was off a kick starter campaign two years ago and yet they are able to accommodate their players and sponsored pro players with alternative diameters, sizes, pins, etc....

And their Italian pros aren't slacking off with their equipment....

https://youtu.be/Ttyx9BmM1c4

https://youtu.be/b212gOBPMBw

https://youtu.be/vF_UVIiBJh4

https://youtu.be/GybfUjNmtAM

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Absolutely agree. BeCue was off a kick starter campaign two years ago and yet they are able to accommodate their players and sponsored pro players with alternative diameters, sizes, pins, etc....

And their Italian pros aren't slacking off with their equipment....

https://youtu.be/Ttyx9BmM1c4

https://youtu.be/b212gOBPMBw

https://youtu.be/vF_UVIiBJh4

https://youtu.be/GybfUjNmtAM

Good stuff!!!!

Btw, I am curious how the 31" becue plays compared to the 29" becue in same size, tip, pin etc...?

Cardigan Kid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Good stuff!!!!

Btw, I am curious how the 31" becue plays compared to the 29" becue in same size, tip, pin etc...?

I used to play with a predator p3 butt, mid cue extension, and various LD wood shafts. The BeCue guys didn't want to make a mid cue extension because they wanted to have a good balance to the cue (they factor all weights, titanium joints and mass of filling material during construction) so they built me 31" shafts with a 31" butt. I do have a standard butt and shaft 5.1 as well. They all play similar in the characteristics, but for taller players who play their grip hand on the butt of the cue, its nice to have a little more room now. The extra reach is nice as well without having a cumbersome/heavy extension on full time.

Also, I like how BeCue shafts have a nice balance, maybe a little bit more forward weight to them, so together, with their naturally forward weighted butt, the cue has a great feel as you stroke forward through the cue ball.

Here was a video I posted a little while ago just horsing around with the 31"prime shaft and 31" butt...Also some of my thoughts at the end in regards to the shafts compared to 5.1 and wood shafts....

https://youtu.be/diMHV3h1S3Q

jtompilot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes we now have our standard B-Joint, Uni-Loc, Radial Pin and 3/8 x 10 in 12mm and 12.5mm 29 inch length and custom 30 inch and 31 inch.

Ricky Bryant
USABecueOfficial@gmail.com or text 574-320-2438

30”, that might put me over the top, it will go with my 30” diamond wood butt. I still need a test drive. Will there be any demos at Derby?

Last edited:

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's clear to most than revos are out performing all other CF shafts made currently.

They are out performing in sales, but I don't think they perform any better on the table...that is personal preference.

To me, the only thing REVO had over Becue, in the beginning, was that their shafts weren't coated in paint, so they weren't as "tacky"...they were slicker. Becue has now fixed that with their Prime M model.

I tried the REVO before I got a Becue and, to me, the Becue was way more to my liking. I think a big factor is that the butt is made of carbon fiber, too.

Every person who has a REVO, who has tried my Becue, thought that the white shaft was much easier to sight down than the black shafts. I strongly feel that way. Also, the REVO shaft has a "sound" of some sort that the Becue doesn't have. The Becue is more "silent".

I'm not saying Becue is "better". I'm just saying it is "different" and more to MY liking. I have the 5.1 shaft and the Prime and I like the taper and diameter of the Prime better than the 5.1 because I use a closed bridge.

wrickyb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Great review but did you note the difference in the SOUND of the Becue or lack of Sound. Take the Becue, Revo, Cuetec and full wood shaft. Tap them like drum sticks on the table. Only the Becue and full wood shaft have the same solid sound. The Revo and Cuetec have a hollow or Tinking sound. The Tinking sound is also noticeable during play. Setting rail side at matches you can hear the dead or hollow sound of the other 2 almost like a miss-cue.

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Great review but did you note the difference in the SOUND of the Becue or lack of Sound. Take the Becue, Revo, Cuetec and full wood shaft. Tap them like drum sticks on the table. Only the Becue and full wood shaft have the same solid sound. The Revo and Cuetec have a hollow or Tinking sound. The Tinking sound is also noticeable during play. Setting rail side at matches you can hear the dead or hollow sound of the other 2 almost like a miss-cue.

I hit a few balls last Sunday with two of my friends' REVO shafts and they both had a "sound" of some sort. I'm not saying there is anything wrong with having a "sound", but I didn't like it for some reason. Neither of my Becue shafts have a "sound". To ME, the Becue HITS, FEELS, and SOUNDS more like a solid maple shaft than the REVO. That is why I liked it so much from the beginning.

wrickyb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Good stuff!!!!

The extra length on the Becue is on the joint end of the shaft so the deflection should be the same. And the play should be the same since the front end of the cue is the same.

Ricky Bryant

wrickyb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
30”, that might put me over the top, it will go with my 30” diamond wood butt. I still need a test drive. Will there be any demos at Derby?

Yes I will be at Derby - Good Lord Willing and the Creek Don't Rise :)

Ricky Bryant

PS where is home? I also travel and live east of Chicago in Elkhart Indiana

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes I will be at Derby - Good Lord Willing and the Creek Don't Rise :)

Ricky Bryant

PS where is home? I also travel and live east of Chicago in Elkhart Indiana

Ricky,

Did you ever ask Alessandro about making a rubber slip-over bumper for the extension? That would definitely help to protect it, should anybody decide to use the extension on their cue full time.

Cardigan Kid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
They are out performing in sales, but I don't think they perform any better on the table...that is personal preference.

To me, the only thing REVO had over Becue, in the beginning, was that their shafts weren't coated in paint, so they weren't as "tacky"...they were slicker. Becue has now fixed that with their Prime M model.

I tried the REVO before I got a Becue and, to me, the Becue was way more to my liking. I think a big factor is that the butt is made of carbon fiber, too.

Every person who has a REVO, who has tried my Becue, thought that the white shaft was much easier to sight down than the black shafts. I strongly feel that way. Also, the REVO shaft has a "sound" of some sort that the Becue doesn't have. The Becue is more "silent".

I'm not saying Becue is "better". I'm just saying it is "different" and more to MY liking. I have the 5.1 shaft and the Prime and I like the taper and diameter of the Prime better than the 5.1 because I use a closed bridge.

I agree, I like the white so much better in terms of sighting and overall look. The feel never bothered me, even though I play without a glove and a bit of talc.
I was informed that the Prime shaft you and I have will go extinct now that PrimeM is out. The Prime shafts will be white with PrimeM shaft dimensions.

My next step is to get the new 2nd gen Prime white shaft and do a direct comparison with that and PrimeM.

jtompilot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I’ve had several people tell me the all black Revo is harder to sight/aim. I’m calling BS on that one. My 1P game has improved using the Revo.

I also have a prototype type 3 piece CF cue that I also play with. It’s painted a light grey. The lighter color doesn’t improve my sighting/aim. The cue hits really well but I play better with the Revo. I’ll take the smooth all black over a sticky white paint anytime.
However I’m interested in testing the 12.0 Prime M for my own comparison and evaluation.

Cardigan Kid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I tried to raise the sound issues I noticed with Revo players only to get shot down. Glad to hear others have experienced it as well. The BeCue is definitely a solid hitting cue on terms of sound and feel.

I think that has a ton to do with the filling material that the BeCue boys decided to construct the shaft with.

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Ricky,

That "tinking sound" is exactly what I was hearing. I've heard it on every REVO shaft I've hit a ball with. I never asked the owners of the shafts what kind of tips were on them. Maybe they all had hard tips and a softer tip would mute it some. Whatever the case, there is a "sound" that my Becue doesn't have. FWIW, I use Ultraskin soft tips on my cues.

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think most know that I use a revo. Why? Well, lol..... my wife bought it for our anniversary. I hated it at first but didn't want to hurt her feelings so, I kept using it till I adjusted.

This is for everyone that's not tried them but are curious and interested in buying one:

If you dont mind the sound Ricky describes and less feeling in your cue but, want/need the lower deflection, well, the Revo is winner for you.

Now, Becue is winner for you if feeling/ sound is important. ALSO, even of more importance to me, if length, width and pin type, and customer service matter, well, still Becue is winner for you.

I'm about as close as one can get to buying a Becue without actually buying one.

I've been told that predator is going to do as Becue and offer same options. If they do not do so very soon, I will be selling my revo equipment (eventhough wife will be ill) and ordering Becue.

Predator needs to learn that we customers opinions are important to their sales in the long run.

I'm about fed up with predator. I dont care how well the revo performs. The Becue is not that far off IMO. Add to that, the fact that becue will bend over backwards to please player's needs/wants....well, its starting to become clear.

Goriziana

Registered
So as I promised earlier I am providing my Becue with Prime-M 12.0mm review. And while there was a voice of one guy who rightfully pointed out that there is a sub-forum dedicated to cue reviews I cant ignore the fact that vast majority of replies asked me to post it here in the main forum. I will use already existing thread, hopefully it wont cause any outrage. Prior to the review I am pointing out again that I am sponsored by Becue but it is my own initiative to write this review as several posters are curious about Becue; I repeat - no one is pushing me to write it, just myself! And as Revo is only other mainstream CF shaft available on the market atm and I own and played with Revo 12.9 I will use it as a reference in my review. Ok here we go :)
I have been playing with Prime-M for 10 days now and I am starting to get used to it so thats where I stand now. As usual I will break my review into several categories:
1) energy transfer
2) stroke comfort
3) feedback/hit
4) deflection
5) weight distribution and grip

1) Energy transfer
While some folks here are still in deep denial when it comes to energy transfer difference between carbon fiber and wood the fact is there is a SIGNIFICANT difference in material properties between wooden shafts and CF shafts. Basically Revo was the only LD shaft that had about the same energy transfer as full maple shafts. That is until Becue came around. And I can say that Prime-M competes with Revo on the same level in this regards.

2) Stroke comfort
Here it is simple - I definitely like Prime-M 12mm much more than Revo 12.9mm (and Revo 12.4 as well as I had chance to shoot with it too) when it comes to stroke comfort, Prime-M is definitely easier on my fingers due to the long taper in combination of Prime-M thickness; also it is easier to play shots off the rail or jacked-up due to the slimmer shaft. Oh and I forgot to say that the surface of Prime-M is basically the same as Revo, no colour layer at all :)

3) Feedback/hit
Revo vs Becue are little bit different, Revo seems quite stiff while Becue is more on the flexible side. This topic is very subjective as each player prefers something else so I will just say that I like both Revo and Becue, from time to time I shoot few shots with wooden cue just to see the difference and I really dont see myself coming back to wood any time soon :D So both are winners for me ;)

4) Deflection
In this regards Prime-M is quite close to Revo with Revo winning this battle by a nose. Both Prime-M and Revo are very consistent with the amount of deflection (or better to say with the lack of it) with different speeds which shortens a learning curve considerably. The main reason for Prime-M having slightly higher deflection than Revo is the transparent ferrule. Becue has decided to sacrifice a few % of deflection with that transparent pad, it allows players to change tips without having to take Prime-M to service person with a lathe every single time - thats basically the reason why Becue went this way.

5) Weight distribution and grip
Becue is 19oz and little bit back-heavy but nothing extreme. I had a custom order in regards to the butt surface as I really like the grip of Becue Dark Matter breaker (basically the similar feeling as the shaft itself). I was told what material that surface is but honestly I dont rememeber the name, basically some toxic shit if you smoke it :D

So here you have it, this is my review on Becue Prime-M 12mm. It is up to you fellas what you take from it.

P.s.: I am having fun with Becue for sure, on Saturday I participated in team nationals and I won 14-1 match (race to 75) in two innings with runs of 8 and 67 and out which felt good :thumbup: I dont practice 14.1 much nowadays, i just played on the instinct alone with Becue ;)

Great review!! Thank you!