Is this a foul...........?

$TAKE HOR$E

champagne - campaign
Silver Member
What happens when a ball is pocketd by hand or knocked in with a cue on accident. I recently saw this in a bar table tournament. Would you have to drop the balls to put it back on the table or does it stay down.

genomachino

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think it should be a foul and opposing player has the option of putting it back up.

This was years back. Might of changed since then.

Or maybe we didn't do it right?

Joe T

pro express or texas express rules call this a ball off the table foul, doesn't spot and BIH for incoming player. Don't know if it has changed in recent years either.

woody_968

BRING BACK 14.1
Silver Member
You talking about the APA tourney or the Sat night tourney which normally uses VNEA rules?

Im not sure about APA, but below is from the VNEA website.

8. ACCIDENTALLY moving or touching any ball is not a foul unless: 1) the moved ball is the cue ball or 2) a moved ball makes contact with the cue ball or 3) a moved ball that is jumped off the table or pocketed or causes any ball to be jumped off the table or pocketed. (exception to #3: If the 8-ball is jumped off the table or pocketed it is loss of game if called by the opponent before the next shot is taken). Only opponent may replace the ball moved as closely as possible or leave it where it rests. If the shooter replaces the moved ball, it will be considered a foul.

So from that I would say yes its a foul. It doesnt address if it spots or not. I know if a ball sets in the pocket longer than 3 seconds, and then falls, it is supposed to be spotted. But I didnt see a clear ruling on it being moved into the pocket by a player. Of course most of us dont want to stick another dollar in the table just to spot a ball :D

Last edited:

$TAKE HOR$E

champagne - campaign
Silver Member
You talking about the APA tourney or the Sat night tourney which normally uses VNEA rules?

:D
It was the APA tournament.

Only opponent may replace the ball moved as closely as possible or leave it where it rests. If the shooter replaces the moved ball, it will be considered a foul.

If I had a dollar for everytime I have seen this.................there would be a nice poolroom in this town.

Last edited: