what cue maker or branded marks have the best cost-benefit ratio?

cj609

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
First off, knowing that every pool players definition of the perfect playing cue will vary greatly, I will have to say for the money, one of the better custom playing cues that also have top notch fit and finish, Jim Pierce cues. I have tried out every cue I could get my hands on the last few years. I have a few favorite cue makers but I picked one to build me a cue and it was Jim Pierce. He did not disappoint. Good luck with your search.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20191123-174122_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20191123-174122_Gallery.jpg
    171.7 KB · Views: 343
Last edited:

brilliance

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
hi

Mezz for production cue. Other brand you can have 10 cues all play different.

I would invest in custom, DZ, Josey, Wes Hunter, Lomax, Bob Fray, Jensen cant go wrong.

ctyhntr

RIP Kelly
Silver Member
Has anyone found a reliable way to tell which ones Bob made, versus the majority that were made after he left Tim Scuggs?

Well Bob Frey is still alive and he made an awful lot of those Scruggs sneaky's.

Under $500. He even makes what's called a true sneaky model. TS, get it?

9 Ball Fan

Darth Maximus
Silver Member
A. Spend $500-$600 on a Meucci, and have $400-$500 left for the pool room.

B. Spend $1,000 trying to exceed the Meucci; and you probably can?

pwd72s

recreational banger
Silver Member
Production - Pechauer
Custom - Rick Howard or Keith Josey

Agree.........tho I've never played with a Rick Howard. Just think if it compares to a Josey it must be good,

But yes..Coco is right. No cue makes up for instruction and table time...

ddg45

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Which is why all good players use bar cues off the wall. You should just answer the question instead of being contrarian for no damn reason.
Well said! Why are there ALWAYS cranky old farts that have to inject their unwarranted and unsolicited opinions that have nothing to do with the question? If you're not trying to be helpful shut up.
That said, to answer the original question I would go with Pechauer. If you read their story (bought their own timberland, select their own wood, make their own joints in their own metal shop) no one does what they do to build a cue at the prices they charge.

greyghost

Coast to Coast
Silver Member
Well Bob Frey is still alive and he made an awful lot of those Scruggs sneaky's.

Under $500. He even makes what's called a true sneaky model. TS, get it?

Winner! Then take the rest of the thousand left over and invest it in personal knowledge of the game especially in regards to some reputable instruction and coaching. It pays off way better than anydare I say dodad or equipment lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

DelawareDogs

The Double Deuce…
Silver Member
Production? Mezz. Custom not withstanding price range...MVP, Dzuricky, Bluegrass, Webb, Joey. Lots of fantastic makers to choose from.
Good luck.

I'll get on that Mezz vote as well. :thumbup:

Was very skeptical not having hit a single ball with a cue I just ordered online.
Could not be more happy with it. For much less than your $1000 range, it was a good buy for me.

For a good quality hand-made: Keith Josey