Reviews of New Jersey Rooms

pogmothoin

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I started this thread for my fellow Jersey guys and gals to share their experiences in the various pool rooms and or pool centric bars. I'm no expert but I'll share my limited experiences and am hoping to hear what others have to say.

Sandcastle Billiards, Edison, NJ - I've only played here a few times because it's a bit of a ride from my home. My impression is that it's a serious place to play. Mostly 9 foot Brunswicks, I saw one 7 foot Diamond and they have their tournament room. Great lighting and the tables are well maintained. Last time I was there they were playing pool matches on the TV's that most of the people were actually interested in when not down on the table. All pool all the time. If it was closer I'd be there more often.

Players Billiard Cafe, Eatontown, NJ - I play in an APA league here. All 9 footers. Most of them just had new Simonis put on and they are well maintained. The lighting is not great IMHO and some of the tables are a little crowded. The clientele seems a little younger with the jukebox playing the latest pop songs (or whatever you call them). Not a bad place to play, just not as serious as Sandcastle, again in my opinion.

Side pockets Billiards Howell, NJ - I shoot here occasionally. Small room with 9 foot Brunswicks and 7 foot diamonds. Nice clean place. Don't shoot here too often but it's a good place to shoot.

I'm not a gambler so I have no idea on what kind of action you can find in these places. I'd suspect that you would find someone to take your money at Sandcastle though fairly quickly.

pooln8r

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I started this thread for my fellow Jersey guys and gals to share their experiences in the various pool rooms and or pool centric bars. I'm no expert but I'll share my limited experiences and am hoping to hear what others have to say.

Sandcastle Billiards, Edison, NJ - I've only played here a few times because it's a bit of a ride from my home. My impression is that it's a serious place to play. Mostly 9 foot Brunswicks, I saw one 7 foot Diamond and they have their tournament room. Great lighting and the tables are well maintained. Last time I was there they were playing pool matches on the TV's that most of the people were actually interested in when not down on the table. All pool all the time. If it was closer I'd be there more often.

Players Billiard Cafe, Eatontown, NJ - I play in an APA league here. All 9 footers. Most of them just had new Simonis put on and they are well maintained. The lighting is not great IMHO and some of the tables are a little crowded. The clientele seems a little younger with the jukebox playing the latest pop songs (or whatever you call them). Not a bad place to play, just not as serious as Sandcastle, again in my opinion.

Side pockets Billiards Howell, NJ - I shoot here occasionally. Small room with 9 foot Brunswicks and 7 foot diamonds. Nice clean place. Don't shoot here too often but it's a good place to shoot.

I'm not a gambler so I have no idea on what kind of action you can find in these places. I'd suspect that you would find someone to take your money at Sandcastle though fairly quickly.

Nice reviews!...I might have to check out Players and Side Pocket Billiards!

I play pretty much exclusively out of Sandcastle when I can get out to play and it's a great room with very nicely maintained equipment. It reminds me of why I liked playing competitive pool in the first place as the quality of player there is fairly high but unlike the old days when very few shared their pool secrets it's easy to find someone who wants to play for fun or help a new player with their game. The owner Ed Liddawi, Sandman on AZ is a great guy and a credit to the game as well as to room owners. He really cares about his customers, the game and where it's all going. He's trying to put a positive focus on the game and raise the standard as well as interest in pocket billiards. You're right about it being a serious high level players room but there are also people just learning who are welcomed just as readily as the pro's are. I'll also agree, although I don't take part in it, that you can definitely find someone who'll give you action. In this room, you'll find people playing all the standard games of 1pocket, 8ball, 9ball, 10ball and 14.1. The tournaments and league there are very well directed and the Accu-stats events including the Wednesday night game show are a lot of fun(so far I've only watched it online but someday I'll get there for it). It's really great to be so close to see pro level play in person. This so far is my favorite room in NJ to play in and absolutely worth the drive.

Another room, I'd like to mention as it's just reopened in the last 9 months or so is On the Snap in Sayreville, NJ on US9 S. I've only been in there once but from what I could tell it was a nice place to play. All Brunswick 9' tables with nice playing cloth and rails. I don't recall how many tables but I would say at least 6 to 10. The tables were newly clothed at the time and played nicely too although the pockets played a bit easier than the tables at Sandcastle. It's about 8 minutes closer than Sandcastle is to me and I didn't partake but I hear it has really good food service. I was there early in the day without very many guys playing so it's hard to talk to the action or players that frequent the place. The guys I did know that were there are also really great guys to know and shoot a game with. Don't know if they're holding tournaments yet but I heard that tournaments and league play was in their plans.

Good shooting to you!

Kevin

jersey jer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Great room. Ed Liddawi the proprietor, posts here as Sandman, is a great guy to deal with. This room is definitely more competitive room than the other 2. I get up here when I can but im about 45-50 minutes south and frequent a much closer establishment. Tues night is handicapped nine-ball tourney and league play out of here through the NAPA cash league (pretty sure Ed is LO for the area)

I agree with you here too. Players is a nice room with well maintained equipment. They have a Weds night 9 ball tourney and lots of league players. If I was free on weds I'd be playing this tourney every week. The furniture does tend to cramp tables in here.

I live about five minutes from here so I tend to end up here when ever i can get out to shoot some. Great small room. www.sidepocketnj.com 6 Gold Crown 9' Tables, 1 Diamond Pro 9' Table, 5 Diamond Pro-Am 7' Barbox Tables. Thurs night handicapped 9 ball tourney on the 9 footers, Sat night tourney on the 7ft Diamonds. The owner Dave is good people and he takes pride in his equipment. He also has a number of cues and cases on hand for sale. League play is NAPA cash leage 8 + 9ball teams avail. Dave is LO in the area

figured i'd add my$.02

Last edited:

DirtyJersey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you're in Northeast Jersey area looking to play Clifton Billiards is an up and coming room. 15 GCIV's. 1 3 7/8 table 2 4 1/4 pocket and 1 4 1/2. Rest are 5" buckets. Good food, good music, good times.:thumbup:

Gary G

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
pool room junkie

I am a previous poolroom owner and I enjoy going places and seeing different rooms. I was in NJ in Sept. and went to Sand Castle and I felt right at home when I was there. Eddie or Ed which ever he goes by was a great host and the few locals I met were just as nice . I also met a guy (Patty O'toole )that lives 1 hr from me (I live in FL). I also went to Castle Billiards. That's a nice room with a friendly in house cue repair guy . Clifton Billiards is a great room with a lot of history and the food is a must. My main reason to go up north was to go to Steinway Billiards for the Ginky Memorial. I was not disappointed. If you get the chance this room is a must with excellent food. I made the rounds and went by Amsterdams,Society,Gotham (just put in new diamonds and a 10 footer) . I also went to a several rooms on Long Island and not very impressed .I did meet Pete Tascarrella and his son. Pete steered me to a nice Italian restaurant while his son did very well in the tourn. Also, the pool house in Bellmore the owner plays ok . I enjoyed my visit to NJ/NY and the great rooms hope to get back up there soon.

CliftonBilliard

Registered
Clifton Billiards
1158 Main ave
Clifton, NJ 07011
1231328_622066867815873_1025225493_n.jpg

• [*]17 All New GC IV's w/ Plenty of Room In-Between
    [*]9 Flat screen HD tvs
    [*]Streaming EVERY Live pool tournament
    [*]Full Ball with wide selection of Craft Beer
    [*]Full Kitchen with trained Chef
    [*]Great Player passes available
    [*]2 Private Party rooms, both have GC IV table and Ping Pong Table, and Dart Board. One Glow In The Dark Room and One Regular.
    [*]Open Till 2am or later every Night

299122_580907508601294_1163377335_n.jpg

You Never Know who will Be here

47631_682936295062263_436123523_n.jpg

"When ever i am in the area i will always stop at Clifton Billiards." - Francisco Busamante

1560505_682934108395815_1074902648_n.jpg

"Great Place, The Owner Vinnie is a great One Pocket Player' - Efern Reyes

578110_580907128601332_1462682601_n.jpg

"Freshest Coffe in NJ" - Pete Flemming

HOPE TO SEE YOU SOON

rubberheels

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Jersey Pool

2 weeks ago A. Hopkins and 3 friends were at Q Ball in Toms River. I mean to tell you that I saw some of the best 1pocket I have ever seen!. All of his friends I think they were from around Philly could play Lights Out.

Mkbtank

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
2 weeks ago A. Hopkins and 3 friends were at Q Ball in Toms River. I mean to tell you that I saw some of the best 1pocket I have ever seen!. All of his friends I think they were from around Philly could play Lights Out.

Would love to know who they were

jtompilot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Clifton Billiars. I played Vinnie and a killer 9 baller, good room
Sandcastle, plenty action for me, good room
Castle billiards by Teterboro, nice room. Some action
I don't remember the name but about 20 min from Atlantic City. 1P action for me.
Lodi, I miss Mel.
The 320 to the Big City.

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Clifton Billiards
1158 Main ave
Clifton, NJ 07011
1231328_622066867815873_1025225493_n.jpg

• [*]17 All New GC IV's w/ Plenty of Room In-Between
    [*]9 Flat screen HD tvs
    [*]Streaming EVERY Live pool tournament
    [*]Full Ball with wide selection of Craft Beer
    [*]Full Kitchen with trained Chef
    [*]Great Player passes available
    [*]2 Private Party rooms, both have GC IV table and Ping Pong Table, and Dart Board. One Glow In The Dark Room and One Regular.
    [*]Open Till 2am or later every Night

299122_580907508601294_1163377335_n.jpg

You Never Know who will Be here

47631_682936295062263_436123523_n.jpg

"When ever i am in the area i will always stop at Clifton Billiards." - Francisco Busamante

1560505_682934108395815_1074902648_n.jpg

"Great Place, The Owner Vinnie is a great One Pocket Player' - Efern Reyes

578110_580907128601332_1462682601_n.jpg

"Freshest Coffe in NJ" - Pete Flemming

HOPE TO SEE YOU SOON

Who is Efern Reyes and does he drink Coffe ?

pogmothoin

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Snookers on Rt. 9 in Sayreville recently reopened, I think it was On The Snap.

Great room, lot's of 9' Brunswick tables, even 2 7' Diamonds.

They serve food and alcohol and I hear their Tuesday night tournament is picking up steam.