(FAQ) How do you use the tangent line?

allanpsand

Author & PBIA Instructor
Silver Member
Howdy folks -

Here's some good advice to help new players use real-world physics to control what they can do with the cue ball (from my book, "FAQs of Pool").

http://www.billiardgods.com/gk-use-tangent-line/

It's a good idea to share stuff l like this with them. We all need to ensure good competitors in the future!!! :lovies:

Good luck - shoot straight

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
While I consider myself pretty much a hack, its always fun showing newer players cool stuff, and the look on their faces when you can show them the tangent line, and it makes a ball for them.....priceless.

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That needs some clarification Allen. The CB only leaves at 90 when the CB is sliding into contact with the OB. At slower speeds the CB will be rolling when it contacts the OB (unless the distance between CB & OB is very close), and will leave at 30 degrees, not 90.

Scott Lee
http://poolknowledge.com

Regardless of the speed of the cue ball and the angle that the cue ball and object ball contact, the cue ball will travel away from the object ball and the contact point between them at right angles.

allanpsand

Author & PBIA Instructor
Silver Member
The cue ball will ALWAYS leave the contact point at 90 degrees. How far the ball stays on the tangent line is a matter of the cue ball speed and action.

At high speeds, the cue ball will not have traction on the cloth and will exactly follow the tangent line. Only when it slows down can it interact with the cloth and curve off the line.

The trick is to learn how to predict exactly where on the tangent line that the curve begins and how much it bends.

In 3-cushion billiards, the top players have completely mastered these curves and all their variations. Most of the time, when they shoot into the first ball, it travels straight into the rail. The cue ball speed and spin determines where it hits the first cushion in the shot.

JoeyA

Efren's Mini-Tourn BACKER
Silver Member
Hmmmmmmmmmm.

That needs some clarification Allen. The CB only leaves at 90 when the CB is sliding into contact with the OB. At slower speeds the CB will be rolling when it contacts the OB (unless the distance between CB & OB is very close), and will leave at 30 degrees, not 90.Scott Leehttp://poolknowledge.com Regardless of the speed of the cue ball and the angle that the cue ball and object ball contact, the cue ball will travel away from the object ball and the contact point between them at right angles.

The cue ball will ALWAYS leave the contact point at 90 degrees. How far the ball stays on the tangent line is a matter of the cue ball speed and action.

At high speeds, the cue ball will not have traction on the cloth and will exactly follow the tangent line. Only when it slows down can it interact with the cloth and curve off the line.
The trick is to learn how to predict exactly where on the tangent line that the curve begins and how much it bends. In 3-cushion billiards, the top players have completely mastered these curves and all their variations. Most of the time, when they shoot into the first ball, it travels straight into the rail. The cue ball speed and spin determines where it hits the first cushion in the shot.

croscoe

Retired
Silver Member
He "quoted " your post 3 Scott.

As such the red along with your signature & site info is included.

As to what is implied by it is another question.

SilverCue

Sir Raksalot
Silver Member

Regardless of the speed of the cue ball and the angle that the cue ball and object ball contact, the cue ball will travel away from the object ball and the contact point between them at right angles.

Where is the tangent line travel when shooting straight on with follow or draw?

couldnthinkof01

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Lol, if you calculate the EXACT angle of every shot on purpose before you get down good luck.

30/90 to show a beginner is great fun.

I think they will get the idea

Dr. Dave has had this info up for years in great detail

Practice and brain do the rest for you

Last edited:

PocketPooler

Silver Member

Where is the tangent line travel when shooting straight on with follow or draw?

The tangent line always remains 90 degrees or perpindicular to the contact point on object ball. A ball hit straight on with follow or draw still has this tangent line, but all the energy with a full ball hit is transferred to the object, thus the cueball does not travel left or right (on the tangent) because it has transferred it's momentum to the object ball.

ENGLISH!

Banned
Silver Member
The tangent line always remains 90 degrees or perpindicular to the contact point on object ball. A ball hit straight on with follow or draw still has this tangent line, but all the energy with a full ball hit is transferred to the object, thus the cueball does not travel left or right (on the tangent) because it has transferred it's momentum to the object ball.

While Mr. Sand is technically correct & Scott Lee is technically incorrect as he worded it, I understand what you mean here, but a small nit is that spin is a form of force that can put momentum onto the CB when 'mixed' with friction to garner traction.

In other words, if ALL of the momentum was transferred to the OB the CB would stop dead & have no movement, but ALL of the spin 'momentum' is not transferred to the OB so the spin that remains on the CB is what sends it in one of the two directions based on the spin direction.

Just I very little nit.

All Best Wishes for ALL.

Last edited:

Neil

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
While Mr. Sand is technically correct & Scott Lee is technically incorrect as he worded it, I understand what you mean here, but a small nit is that spin is a form of force that can put momentum onto the CB when 'mixed' with friction to garner traction.

In other words, if ALL of the momentum was transferred to the OB the CB would stop dead & have no movement, but ALL of the spin 'momentum' is not transferred to the OB so the spin that remains on the CB is what sends it in one of the two directions based on the spin direction.

Just I very little nit.

All Best Wishes for ALL.

If it is hit dead square with spin, the cb won't go anywhere. It will just sit there and spin.

ENGLISH!

Banned
Silver Member
If it is hit dead square with spin, the cb won't go anywhere. It will just sit there and spin.

Perhaps you are just NOT capable of understanding what is put into text.

We where NOT talking about a CB that is hit on the equator.

The other member was talking about follow spin & draw spin on a ball hit dead square straight on.

The key is that "straight" on. If no angle, then there is no 90* tangent line.

Will you ever STOP playing your twisting & distorting games? Can you not see what it makes you look like...

& probably truly are?

Last edited:

Tony_in_MD

You want some of this?
Silver Member
Rick, stop it please, I read your post also and it was not clear you were only taking about draw and follow.

I could see exactly why Neil replied based on the content of your post. I would have done the same, since I thought left and right was part of the discussion.

Perhaps you are just incapable of understanding what is put into text.

The other member was talking about follow spin & draw spin on a ball hit dead square straight on.

Will you ever STOP playing your twisting & distorting games? Can you not see what it makes you look like...

& probably truly are?

Neil

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Perhaps you are just NOT capable of understanding what is put into text.

& probably truly are?

I didn't distort anything. Of course it will follow if you hit above the equator, or draw if hit below the equator and backspin is still present at contact. Is there any question about that at all?

(real nice, again rick, someone you don't like posts, so you have to get all insulting. Does it make you feel good? )

ENGLISH!

Banned
Silver Member
Rick, stop it please, I read your post also and it was not clear you were only taking about draw and follow.

I could see exactly why Neil replied based on the content of your post. I would have done the same, since I thought left and right was part of the discussion.

Perhaps that explains why you two(2) guys & another almost always quote & 'talk' so much out of context.

READ the postS.

The post that I quoted & was commenting on clearly made reference to Follow & Draw.

Last edited:

ENGLISH!

Banned
Silver Member
I didn't distort anything. Of course it will follow if you hit above the equator, or draw if hit below the equator and backspin is still present at contact. Is there any question about that at all?

(real nice, again rick, someone you don't like posts, so you have to get all insulting. Does it make you feel good? )

If you just wanted to make your statement for general info purposes, there was no need to quote me.

You quoted me & tried to make it look like I did not know what I was talking about.

When you look in the mirror, do you see a person or just the wall across from the mirror.

I wish I had all of your posts regarding me on 'speed dial' to show everyone that nearly EVERY post you make regarding me is either insulting or untruthful.

Best Wishes to ALL.

Last edited: