Eight Ball Legal Shot - BCA Rules

jviss

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is probably a stupid question, but it comes up among folks who aren't good or knowledgable pool players, and I'd like to know exactly the correct rule interpretation.

Thanks in advance.

The rules state:
12. LEGAL SHOT. Defined. On all shots except on the break and when the table is open, the shooter must hit one of his group of balls first and 1, pocket a numbered ball, or 2, cause the cue ball or any numbered ball to contact a rail.

PLEASE NOTE: It is permissible for the shooter to bank the cue ball off a rail before contacting his object ball. However, after contact with his object ball, an object ball must be pocketed, Or the cue ball or any numbered ball must contact a rail. Failure to meet these requirements is a foul.

Are these statements true?:
1. Unless the CB contacts an OB ball of one's group, either directly or after hitting a rail, it's a foul shot.
2. A OB of one's own group must be the first ball hit, or it's a foul.
3. The CB hits a rail, and then one's OB, but then neither the CB or an numbered ball is pocketed or hits a rail: this is a foul.

Also, what if you hit your own OB with the CB, and the OB strikes your opponent's OB and pockets it, and then your OB drops. Is it still your turn?

hurricane145

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
1. Sort of. You may need some clarification.You must contact a ball of your group first (a rail before that doesn't matter, such as a kick for a ball) and then cause any ball or the cue ball to contact a rail or any object ball to go in a pocket.

2. Yes.

3. Yes.

The also question...Yes it is still your turn. Sometimes your object ball just needs to clear a pocket first before it can drop in it. Sometimes you play your object ball off an opponents object ball intentionally and it may pocket the opponents ball somewhere else first but you still (hopefully) have made your ball as well. Sometimes you let the cue ball fly and incidentally cause other balls to pocket, maybe even first before yours does but as long as it was a legal hit (and perhaps the need to call your ball and pocket has been met) you are good to proceed.

Rule 12 covers it. Don't read into it. It means exactly what it states. But I get it. All the others out there that don't really know the rules can sure make it confusing to a new pool player! Having a good understanding of the rules is very important for you.

Last edited:

jviss

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
1. Sort of. You may need some clarification.You must contact a ball of your group first (a rail before that doesn't matter, such as a kick for a ball) and then cause any ball or the cue ball to contact a rail or any object ball to go in a pocket.

2. Yes.

3. Yes.

The also question...Yes it is still your turn. Sometimes your object ball just needs to clear a pocket first before it can drop in it. Sometimes you play your object ball off an opponents object ball intentionally and it may pocket the opponents ball somewhere else first but you still (hopefully) have made your ball as well. Sometimes you let the cue ball fly and incidentally cause other balls to pocket, maybe even first before yours does but as long as it was a legal hit (and perhaps the need to call your ball and pocket has been met) you are good to proceed.

Rule 12 covers it. Don't read into it. It means exactly what it states. But I get it. All the others out there that don't really know the rules can sure make it confusing to a new pool player! Having a good understanding of the rules is very important for you.
Thanks very much for the reply. Upon consideration, I think the answer to (1) is "yes," though I wrote in in the negative, which may be confusing.

It is remarkable (or maybe not?) that so many who play poor infrequently for recreation know so few of the rules. It is much like an oral and cultural tradition outside of serious play.

No one I know plays seriously. Know one I know knows any but the most rudimentary rules, and these are learned and interpreted from bar rules, for the most part. Few have ever heard of BIH anywhere, let alone the fouls discussed in this thread.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Those are not BCA rules. Those are from the BCAPL, a league run by CSI. There are significant differences between BCAPL rules and BCA rules although they derived from the same source.

(BCA stands for Billiard Congress of America, a billiard trade organization. The BCA in BCAPL doesn't stand for anything, although it used to.)