Gold Crown Barn Find

realkingcobra

Silver Member
You are mistaken.

If I'm mistaken, then please, show me the black veins running across any real slate. Real slate don't have them because sticker boards are not used to separate the pieces for drying, therefore no black vein lines.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Thanks, Jerry! I'll have to have you and Dave over once the table is setup. I estimate early September which should give Steve plenty of time to do the rail work and me time to complete the restoration and build a matching light.

I want you to think about something if you will. BRUNSWICK shut down their slate mines to help support the war effort during WWll, and NEVER reopened them since....so, where did Brunswick get real slate from in the later 40's through the early 70'? Italy wasn't producing slates at the time, neither was Brazil. So, where did Brunswick get the REAL slate from? And guess what else, AMF was using Brunstone in their pool tables at that time, as well as MANY other manufacturers, they bought from Brunswick. Saulnier Wilhem used the Brunstone in their pool tables as well.

So, where did Brunswick get their real slate from to include them with the GC1's?????

bradsh98

Bradshaw Billiard Service
Silver Member
I want you to think about something if you will. BRUNSWICK shut down their slate mines to help support the war effort during WWll, and NEVER reopened them since....so, where did Brunswick get real slate from in the later 40's through the early 70'? Italy wasn't producing slates at the time, neither was Brazil. So, where did Brunswick get the REAL slate from? And guess what else, AMF was using Brunstone in their pool tables at that time, as well as MANY other manufacturers, they bought from Brunswick. Saulnier Wilhem used the Brunstone in their pool tables as well.

So, where did Brunswick get their real slate from to include them with the GC1's?????

Instead of insisting that I post photos (which you will immediately discredit), why don't you post a verifiable source for this story that you continue to tell?

I have worked on my fair share of early Brunstone Gold Crowns. I have also seen just about as many early slate Gold Crowns. The difference is obvious, so don't bother suggesting that I don't know what I'm looking at.

I don't know where Brunswick sourced their slate from. Frankly, I don't care. I know what I've seen, and the stories that you tell don't add up.

Back to the whole point regarding this thread, the OP has a slate table. In my opinion, that makes it more valuable.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Instead of insisting that I post photos (which you will immediately discredit), why don't you post a verifiable source for this story that you continue to tell?

I have worked on my fair share of early Brunstone Gold Crowns. I have also seen just about as many early slate Gold Crowns. The difference is obvious, so don't bother suggesting that I don't know what I'm looking at.

I don't know where Brunswick sourced their slate from. Frankly, I don't care. I know what I've seen, and the stories that you tell don't add up.

Back to the whole point regarding this thread, the OP has a slate table. In my opinion, that makes it more valuable.

Is slate simply cut flat, or is it ground flat??????

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I thought Brunstone had sort of a reddish tint to it. Yes/no? The stuff in those pics sure looks like slate. I'm no tech. but i've seen both over the years and B'stone always looked just slightly reddish/orange compared to slate.

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This may add fuel to the fire, but here is a pic of a section of the playing surface.

48466625411_4e24fb5b3e_b.jpg

Ron Padilla

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am going to run up and take photos of mine in a bit and will post! Then I am going to get me some popcone

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

realkingcobra

Silver Member
This may add fuel to the fire, but here is a pic of a section of the playing surface.

48466625411_4e24fb5b3e_b.jpg

Do you see your corner pocket cut out, it looks like the shelf is straight up and down except for the slight round over at the top edge....is it straight down, or at a slope down??

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Do you see your corner pocket cut out, it looks like the shelf is straight up and down except for the slight round over at the top edge....is it straight down, or at a slope down??

Not vertical. The center slate is sandwiched in between the two corner pieces and I don;t want to moe them around. These sum'*****es are heavy!

48467083126_0751f630dd_b.jpg

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

It's funny you say that. My mid '50's AMF I just sold (literally today) has a playing surface that looks identical to the playing surface of my Gold Crown. Hmmm...My Gold Crown. That has a nice ring to it. LOL.

logical

Loose Rack
Silver Member
I assume we mean stacker, not sticker boards and I believe we can see the marks here in this example
aec8a97a0390058accd6bd6bb5084351.jpg

Sent from my SM-T830 using Tapatalk

realkingcobra

Silver Member
I assume we mean stacker, not sticker boards and I believe we can see the marks here in this example
aec8a97a0390058accd6bd6bb5084351.jpg

Sent from my SM-T830 using Tapatalk

Yep, and if you run your fingers over it, you can feel its slightly raised at the edges. That don't happen when its slate that has been ground flat.

bradsh98

Bradshaw Billiard Service
Silver Member
Yep, and if you run your fingers over it, you can feel its slightly raised at the edges. That don't happen when its slate that has been ground flat.

That photo shows, plain as day, that the dark ribbon runs all the way through the thickness of the SLATE. Your "sticker board" story is crap.

Stop spreading misinformation.