where do you hit on the cb to make a spot shot?

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
evergruven,

I have an iron clad rule I follow whenever I set up tough shots to practice.
Make the shot, it might be luck. Do it twice, it might be a coincidence. But
pocket the shot 3x in a row and you are likely to have it down so I use 4-5x.

If you don’t have a training ball like I mentioned, substitute any striped ball.
It isn’t as revealing as the semi-hemisphere design of the Elephant training
cue ball but it works. Got a 9 ft table? Take ball in hand and stroke the cue
ball from the kitchen down and back but not so hard as to bounce it off the
head rail more than a few inches. Heck, just play it like a lag stroke but do
It 4-5x in a row with no wobble or wiggle on the stripe positioned vertically
on the felt. With a stripe this wide, any movement (wiggle or wobble) on the
OB will not be as noticeable as with the Elephant cue ball but it does work.

You must stroke through the cue ball smoothly to avoid the cue ball acquiring
any wiggle or wobble. But shoot hard and CB speed disguises a flawed stroke.

Matt B.

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Put the cue ball on the kitchen line one diamond from the side rail. A center hit rolling half ball hit (center of cue ball aimed right at edge of object ball) will make it.

Ignoring throw, a half-ball aim produces a cut shot of 30°. But with the cue ball on the head string one diamond from the side rail, the cut angle needed for center pocket is actually about 32.3° rather than 30°. The correct location for a half-ball aim with a center hit on the CB is actually a couple inches closer to the side rail (10.4"), plus maybe even a little closer to allow for throw (9.5" from the side rail for 1° of throw, 8.6" for 2°, 7.7" for 3°).

But I imagine quite a few people use that "two diamonds up and one diamond over" location and do something, consciously or subconsciously, to make the correct hit for the spot shot.

[the locations mentioned are to the base of the cue ball]

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
In any attempt to better Mr Spot Shot’s record, I wonder if it would be permissible to have an accomplice spot the object balls?

Doing it oneself (like Mr Spot Shot in the video) sure makes the feat a whole lot tougher.
According to reports -- in previous threads about him -- Spot Shot Kenny often had a helper to do the spotting.

SHORTY WRIGHT

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Russian Kenny

Bob he never uses anyone to spot his balls And he doesn’t chalk up while he does his thing ..

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
if you try to use spin when frozen to the rail with any distance you better have a fargo of 750 or better to do it
jmho

I'm at least a 751 and my response wasn't regarding when whitey is adhered to the kotex.
Maybe 752.
Or 753.
Might be 754 or 756.
Not 755 though.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
Half Ball Spot Shot - Easy Setup.jpg

philly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm at least a 751 and my response wasn't regarding when whitey is adhered to the kotex.
Maybe 752.
Or 753.
Might be 754 or 756.
Not 755 though.

Nah, I don't think so.
I have you at 732 and only if you're using a milk dud!

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Bob he never uses anyone to spot his balls And he doesn’t chalk up while he does his thing ..
Different Kenny. I'm talking about Kenny Kiddy. See the video in the link. Kiddy made 1250 spot shots in a row. Head spot to foot spot. There are several threads discussing him.

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I used to could make about 90% of these spot to spot shots back when I owned a pool room and had plenty of time to just practice stuff like that for long periods of time. I shoot just a hair above center medium speed and aim the center of the cue ball about 1/8 inch out from the side of the object ball.

Last edited:

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I used to could make about 90% of these spot to spot shots back when I owned a pool room and had plenty of time to just practice stuff like that for long periods of time. I shoot just a hair above center medium speed and aim the center of the cue ball about 1/8 inch out from the side of the object ball.
Since the spot-to-spot shot is slightly thinner than a 45-degree cut, the actual hit required is very close to quarter-ball, which would be a quarter of 2.25 inches outside the object ball.