Problems with Simonis spots adhering...

Bob 14:1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I brush my 860 often and vacuum it weekly from the head rail to the foot rail. I'm always very careful to work around my Simonis spots.

I've written Simonis three times, and each time they send me a couple spots free of charge. These are the spots with the Simonis name and the date on them. No matter what I do, they simply do not stick completely down for more than a month or two.

They're not rolling up at the point where a brush might contact them. Just last night it seemed as if my head spot looked different. All the edges were raised and I lifted the entire spot off as if it weren't even held in place at all by the "stick-em".

So here's part one of my question. Can you suggest an adhesive I can use to anchor them more firmly?

I'd order some Tefco 1 1/4" plain black spots since they seem to get good customer reviews, but I measure the Simonis spot as being just slightly larger; only by a 16th or so, but I don't want the new cloth to look Mickey Moused up with a 1/16th gooey area around it..

The weak Simonis backing doesn't hold the spot, but it sure as hell remains on the cloth when removed. Is there something I can SAFELY use to remove the old Simonis stick-em? Not a suggestion or why not try this; Something that you have personally and successfully used for this exact purpose.

Thanks a million for any help or inputs!!!!

I know you said you want someone who has tried, but I'd say alcohol. It shouldn't damage the cloth. And should remove the glue. But like you I'd want to be sure before using anything on my cloth. I have Simonis 860 on my table and I use a championship cushion rubber spot. The installer was out of simonis spots and put that spot on there and it's been there for a few years. I haven't needed to change it so I don't know if the alcohol will work.

Roger Long

Sonoran Cue Creations
Silver Member
Does it have to say "Simonis" on it? I've always used Master spots, and they work just fine.

Roger

jeffj2h

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My spot fell of 1-2 months after I got my 860 a few years ago. I didn't have another spot so I just use a whole protector donut. I use them a lot for setting up practice shots.

SignManiac

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I never liked stick on spots. I just use a tiny dot from a permanent marker. You can see it here to the left of the eight ball.

Attachments

• spot.jpg
    spot.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 348

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Does it have to say "Simonis" on it? I've always used Master spots, and they work just fine.

Roger

As I mentioned in my initial post, Roger, I'd put the Master spots on, but the damn Simonis is a larger spot, so I'm gonna have to try to figure out how to remove the residue from the Simonis, before I can change over to the Masters. :shrug: I just don't want it to look like a shoemaker job...:wink:

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I know you said you want someone who has tried, but I'd say alcohol. It shouldn't damage the cloth. And should remove the glue. But like you I'd want to be sure before using anything on my cloth. I have Simonis 860 on my table and I use a championship cushion rubber spot. The installer was out of simonis spots and put that spot on there and it's been there for a few years. I haven't needed to change it so I don't know if the alcohol will work.

Luckily I kept all the installation cloth scraps. I can use these as a test I suppose. 91% isopropyl did cross my mind. Also lighter fluid and something I remember as a kid. Energine, whatever that is or was. Then there's always nail polish remover or acetone. Perhaps I'll start with a dry new toothbrush and try to gently draw the residue inward towards the center of the circular area. Only gotta remove c. 1/16th" all the way around.

3andstop

Focus
Silver Member
Get a spray can of 3M adhesive, spray a bit on the back side of the Master Spot, and stick it on ... roll a ball over it and it won't come off.

67tbird

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've always used the same spray glue I use on the cloth installation on the spot. Set a heavy book on it afterwards and let it set for a couple hours at least.

Might work with the simonis spots, but maybe try one that the glue has already been removed from?

I'm certainly no expert, but I say worth a try. (works for me)

- Andy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Get a spray can of 3M adhesive, spray a bit on the back side of the Master Spot, and stick it on ... roll a ball over it and it won't come off.

I've always used the same spray glue I use on the cloth installation on the spot. Set a heavy book on it afterwards and let it set for a couple hours at least.

Might work with the simonis spots, but maybe try one that the glue has already been removed from?

I'm certainly no expert, but I say worth a try. (works for me)

- Andy

I believe I've used this for mounting photos and misc. art projects. Great idea guys!!

(((Satori)))

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How is your cloth installed?

Diamond used glue, no?

That is something you might consider when looking for a stick'um remover.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If memory serves, the 3M spray adhesive comes in a large aerosol can about the size of a Rustoleum spray can??? Do you guys allow the adhesive to "tack up" or put it in place immediately? Just thinking about positioning the lettering plum and parallel. I'm thinking letting it tack up might reduce the possibility of it oozing slightly around the edges. I'll of course just put the lightest coating on just to barely cover the backing of the spot.

Thanks guys!

3andstop

Focus
Silver Member
If memory serves, the 3M spray adhesive comes in a large aerosol can about the size of a Rustoleum spray can??? Do you guys allow the adhesive to "tack up" or put it in place immediately? Just thinking about positioning the lettering plum and parallel. I'm thinking letting it tack up might reduce the possibility of it oozing slightly around the edges. I'll of course just put the lightest coating on just to barely cover the backing of the spot.

Thanks guys!

Yeah, spray it lightly ... its tacky as hell right away. I mean I don't rush, I just tap the spray at the back of the sticker, go over to the table and stick it.

I dry align it first and mark the 4 edges ( North South E W ) with a pencil mark so that after I spray it I can lay it right in place.

Then of course I outline the rack and the ball spot line with pencil. :) different topic :)

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yeah, spray it lightly ... its tacky as hell right away. I mean I don't rush, I just tap the spray at the back of the sticker, go over to the table and stick it.

I dry align it first and mark the 4 edges ( North South E W ) with a pencil mark so that after I spray it I can lay it right in place.

Then of course I outline the rack and the ball spot line with pencil. :) different topic :)

Good to know. Did the rack with a Sharpie. No do overs on that one! A terrifying endeavor!!!

IMG_5112.jpg

67tbird

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Yes, what he said. :thumbup: Make sure it's nice and tacky, you won't have any excess run out. It doesn't take much glue at all.

obrien714

Pool Video Addict
Silver Member
Master spots

No no no never spray adhesive. the spots wear out eventualy and need replaced. I would not want that adhesive residue left on the table.

Lick the master spot and place it in the center of the mark where the old simonis spot was. Roll a ball over it pressing firmly.

Play a few days and you will not even notice the adhesive ring around the smaller master spot.

When balls wont rack the master spot peals off pretty easy.

Hope that helps

Meullers also makes a roll of 100 stick on spots i have used those in the past with good results. no licking required.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A bump 'cause I found out what removes the old spot stick-em from my cloth. Zippo lighter fluid.

I tested it on a scrap of 860. I also tested 91% isopropyl alcohol. Surprisingly, the alcohol did absolutely nothing. However, I applied a single drop of Zippo lighter fluid to a lint free old pillowcase. The adhesive rolled right off.

I suspect it cleans the cloth and removes the irregularities of the old adhesive to provide a smoother grip to the cloth. I really dunno; but for me it worked great.

Your results may vary, so I strongly suggest you perform a test like I did just to make certain your cloth will react in a similar manner.