Which cues goes up in price over time?

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
The days of cue value appreciation are gone. Nothing made today will appreciate. My only caveat is if one receives a cue directly from a tier one maker, and then flips it due to supply/demand. A cue bought second-hand in today's market is worth what one pays, or below. You'd have to luck into one hell of a steal to make a profit.

I dont agree.

brilliance

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
hi

Lambros, probably best hitting cues ever made.

Once this guy retires his cues prices will skyrocket.

lakeman77

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I agree with Buster8001. A good mutual fund is MUCH better. Get any cue you like, buy it for fun, not making money.

Last edited:

Z-Nole

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I agree with Buster8001. You may not want to agree. In my experience it's the truth. Buy a good mutual fund if you want to gamble on making money, odds are MUCH better.

I've had, and have, several various investments to pay the gazillion of dollars all these dang kids and wife are costing me with college and private school bills. Everything from CD's to a 529 and even some stuff too embarrassing to list, but nothing, and I mean nothing, has given me the return that the couple of grande spent on my Mobley has given. It's the investment that just keeps giving.

Buster8001

Did you say shrubberies?
Silver Member
I've had, and have, several various investments to pay the gazillion of dollars all these dang kids and wife are costing me with college and private school bills. Everything from CD's to a 529 and even some stuff too embarrassing to list, but nothing, and I mean nothing, has given me the return that the couple of grande spent on my Mobley has given. It's the investment that just keeps giving.

So you bought the cue directly from Randy, and then flipped it due to supply/demand. That is specifically the one caveat I listed. The next person will not fair so well.

Z-Nole

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So you bought the cue directly from Randy, and then flipped it due to supply/demand. That is specifically the one caveat I listed. The next person will not fair so well.

No, I bought it direct from Randy and will die with it. The returns I’m speaking of is the joy it brings me every time I get to play some one pocket. I could easily double or triple my money selling it but what would be the point of that? I have a JW in the closet just in case something ever happens to my Mobley. I can’t imagine selling that one either.

The only way I’ve ever made any money buying/selling cues is when someone goes bust and sells me their cue. Usually it’s just a cheap cue and a quick flip. But it’s been a long time since I was hanging out at the pool room enough to have that happen.

skins

Likes to draw
Silver Member
No, I bought it direct from Randy and will die with it. The returns I’m speaking of is the joy it brings me every time I get to play some one pocket. I could easily double or triple my money selling it but what would be the point of that? I have a JW in the closet just in case something ever happens to my Mobley. I can’t imagine selling that one either.

The only way I’ve ever made any money buying/selling cues is when someone goes bust and sells me their cue. Usually it’s just a cheap cue and a quick flip. But it’s been a long time since I was hanging out at the pool room enough to have that happen.

Very very few makers you can buy a cue from at retail and "easily" double or triple your money....

logical

Loose Rack
Silver Member
You fail to mention the hundreds of start ups that are now worth 0.

Also, I got the use of the black boar for many years
It wasn't meant to be a complete history of start ups or in any way a suggestion that you didn't make a nice cue purchase. It was just a little fun fact about Apple after I made the very point about buying what you like that you just tossed at me.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Some of the best cue appreciation times were buying custom cues such as Scruggs, Richard Black, Joss West in the mid 1990s and selling them in the 2005-06 timeframe - that ten year appreciation period on some custom cue makers will be hard to repeat again.