Pool glove for a child?

detroitfan0877

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My son is seven and getting very interested in pool. He sees me with a glove and wants his own. I'm having a hard time locating something that will fit him. Any suggestions? His hands are super small btw.

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
My son is seven and getting very interested in pool. He sees me with a glove and wants his own. I'm having a hard time locating something that will fit him. Any suggestions? His hands are super small btw.

I don't know how small the commercial pool gloves come in, but a thin, wool (or cotton?) child's glove (for winter) would probably suffice as long as your child's hand will withstand the warmth the glove will cause.

Just an idea.

Maniac (dye it black)

arnaldo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
These toddler-sized ones (below) will almost certainly do it for your son:

https://www.theglovelady.net/product/glove-toddler/

But just to be very sure, first send her a msg. here:

https://www.theglovelady.net/contact-2/

. . . asking her for an email address where you can send her a copy of a pencil-outline of your child's hand, that you've outlined while his hand was flat on a piece of paper. If his fingers are chubby rather than normally slender, mention that.

You'll occasionally see billiards gloves advertised as X-tra small, but I know from experience teaching friend's kids under 8 or 9 years old, these will still be too loose on a very small hand. You have to wash x-tra smalls in hot water a couple times trying to shrink them down and they might still be too loose for very small hands.

Tell the glove lady you don't need any of the design or color options and she'll likely offer to make a perfectly-sized custom one in maybe the same (black?) color as yours for a minimal price -- probably about $18 or somewhat less.

Hope this works out fine for you.

Arnaldo

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Some may argue, but I would not recommend a pool glove for someone just learning the game. I think that developing a feel for one's stroke and how it is applied to all different pool situations ( english, speed, follow, draw, stop, etc.) is much easier and more effective if learned through the feedback between the cue and a natural bridge hand. I don't need to go into all the details as to why i feel this way, but my experience in teaching my two sons the game going back some 25 years, and my own experience from age 12 is my basis for my thoughts on this. But yes, I do use a glove today. I am sure you could find some"adult' explanation for your son to discourage his interest in following your gloved hand method of shooting.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I think he will be better off with an open bridge at the start, so he probably won't need one. Even if you get a glove so he can be like dad, a real, firm closed bridge probably won't work for him now.

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Mike is right on with his comments and so is Bob.
Have him play without wearing a glove like most.

At this young age, you do not want him to get hung
up on accessories or dependent on aids. Let him
learn to feel the wood shaft movement without any
insulation on his fingers. His hands will get larger &
a closed bridge will become comfortable and his pool
stroke will mature. Later on you can get him the other
stuff but right now it is about learning to stroke properly.