Hello again. Learning how to play one pocket?

Pryme

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hellloooo

Its been so long since I have posted on AZB, I took a nice break from pool in general, I guess it was a forced one, just had a lot going on. Probably wont happen again, I realised how much I love pool :frown: haha..ne ways I hope you guys are doing great.

Does any one know or have some good material on how to play one pocket, or what would be the best way to learn if I cant find someone to play with.

Baron

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm a new player too and my advice is: watch matches online with players whose style you like, and visit onepocket.org.

Edit: guy above me beat me to the punch

Albatross Cues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Aloha

Eddie Robin has two books on the subject, "Winning One-Pocket" and "Shots, Moves and Stratagies". These are some most informative books I have found on the game. Although expensive they are well worth the money, and taylored for the more advanced player

"Upscale One-Pocket" by Jack Koehler is a great book with lots of information, for the mid-level to the advanced player. Jack's scientific approach makes for an easy read with a world of knowlege. I might suggest you have some back ground in the basics before getting into any one-pocket books.

There are many other DVD's from Grady available, but could not give an opinion on them as I have not watched any of the DVDs on one-pocket. But a lot of good matches out on the web.

I find that practicing is pretty easy, by just playing both sides. Sometimes I will play Right handed into one pocket and Left into the other. Although the right has to give up some weight, usually around 10-5. But find a pool playing friend, that's about the same speed as yourself, and share the game with them. You could both learn from each other.

Aloha

asianevil

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hellloooo

Its been so long since I have posted on AZB, I took a nice break from pool in general, I guess it was a forced one, just had a lot going on. Probably wont happen again, I realised how much I love pool :frown: haha..ne ways I hope you guys are doing great.

Does any one know or have some good material on how to play one pocket, or what would be the best way to learn if I cant find someone to play with.

Hi,
Starting to play one pocket is a tricky one. You can ask a ton of people and get a ton of different answers.

In my opinion, to properly learn the game of one pocket, you need to have a bit on the line, gamble. Monetary, dinner, etc. Otherwise you find that you and your opponent will be "going for" crazy shots with no consequences. You need to learn how to NOT sell out.
Don't sell out a straight shot.
Don't sell out a bank.
Don't sell out a position that will allow your opponent to put you into a worse position.
After you understand those concepts, you'll need to learn how to force your opponent into selling out to you. (Although if you leave a shot, you want to leave it as a "trap")

There are a ton of resources now, books and videos (youtube). Watch a ton of different of people and guess their next move. "What the most effective?"
Obviously getting an instructor would be optimal as well.

Try to play different people. Playing one opponent over and over will teach you very little. Different people play different styles means different types of games.

Alex and Scott just played a high stakes game. They play opposite styles of the game, but they both play at an elite level. I favor Alex's style but I love Scott's imagination. You'll pick up a little from everyone, no matter the skill level. Everyone sees the game differently. That is what drives me in one pocket! It the chess comparative on the pool table.

Good luck, enjoy the game.
J

Tramp Steamer

One Pocket enthusiast.
Silver Member
The books and DVDs that Albatross mentioned are good to have. Add to that the videos that Scott Frost has made, and you'll have a good start. Also, if you can find them, are a couple of VHS tapes made by Willie Jopling (Bill Marshall) that can be exceptionally helpful.
Don't waste your time learning systems. Go to the pool hall and practice bank shots. Short ones, and long ones. Do one rail, two rail, three rail, and, ones that cross the path of the cue ball. Practice short combination shots, too.
Scatter a handful of balls around the foot spot and practice running balls.
Play as much as you possibly can, and this is one time when playing someone better than you is good.
Sit quietly and watch good players play each other.
If you can stand the boredom, join the One Pocket forum.
Drink heavily because it's going to frustrate the hell out of you for awhile, but don't quit. It's the greatest game on earth.
Good luck. :)

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hellloooo

There is no substitute for playing the game.

Find a knowledgable player in your area and play him cheap (or at least offer to pay his time for an hour or two). Ask questions: Why this shot? What should I do here? What techniques/shots do I need to work on?

Lou Figueroa

Pryme

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hmm seems like there is a lot to learn, this is exactly what I was looking for. Thanks.. there are some really experienced guys at my pool hall I can probably learn from.

Cheers

phil dade

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Take all the advice in this thread given on books, 1P.org, instructionals and plat the game with someone who knows as was said cheap knowing you will loose. Call Accustats and tell them you was some good 1P video matches that are narrated by Bill Incardona or a handful of good analysts. They will talk about what shots and why.

Then go back to Lou's suggestion because it looks different when you are at the table, knowing your ability, and need to make a decision. There is no substitute for playing but all the other stuff gives you tools to get the job done.

Good luck.

3RAILKICK

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hmm seems like there is a lot to learn, this is exactly what I was looking for. Thanks.. there are some really experienced guys at my pool hall I can probably learn from.

Cheers

Congratulations on your interest in One Pocket.

The game has been described as one pocket is to 9ball, as chess is to checkers...

Appreciating the nuances of the game will take time. Being able to execute the shots will take time.

Mastering fundamentals may take the most time.

Once you play rotation games above average, and multiple choice pocketing games (8ball, and 14.1) above average, and some mastery of 3cushion ob and cb tracks, and become a cb control wizard, including stop, follow, draw, side english, speed and distance control...then you have enough tools to try to learn to play One Pocket.

Learning is not a destination, but a journey...that requires a lot of travel time, and recognition of what's new and what's been experienced before....only maybe this time slightly different.

Welcome aboard...have fun..there's a lot of homework..intellectualizing the game is great, but you have to put in the work....
on the pre-requisites before you make real progress.

Learning when to go, when to whoa, based on your skillset is not an easy thing to do. But, if you enjoy challenges, and can fade a lot of disappointment..you'll be fine.

Enjoy...just know what you're asking of yourself to try to become adequate at this game.

All the other advice stands, just don't build without a good foundation of general pool skills.

You appear young...learning 1pkt will give you something to do for the rest of your life.;);)

jtompilot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hellloooo

Drive to Detroit. They will show you

Buffalo has some good 1P

abs

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've been playing for a short time, like on and off for 2 years now. I've looked at books, videos, and played people in a one-pocket league. I would say the best way to learn at this point is to hold off on the books and DVDs and find some one pocket players and play the game.

I'm not suggesting you gamble or pay for lessons, but rather just look for some friendly games. If you find you have to, maybe play some cheap sets, like $5 a rack. Consider it cheap lessons. Also play a variety of people, don't play one guy all the time... Getting locked in to one person as an opponent will severely limit your game and capability. By playing multiple opponents, you will get a lot of different perspectives.

When you find people to play with, watch how they play and behave before jumping into a game with them. You can learn a lot just by watching what they do, how they react to situations, and if you don't already know, you will learn the etiquette among the players in your room.

Then, watch some videos on YouTube... My faves for learning are watching the Efren vs Gentile games... Forget about what Efren does, listen to BIlly Incardona's commentary... It's worth it's weight in gold. It's easier to watch one-pocket once you've played the game for a while.

Do drills for banks (single rail, multiple rail, and cross), and pocket and rail-speed shots... Do these like crazy.

As for books, once you've gotten some momentum in your game I'd slowly sink my teeth into those... Since the Eddie Robin books are had to get, consider just starting with Upscale One-Pocket.

For the DVDs, I've looked at a few of Gabe Owens, and gotten Scott Frosts Power One-Pocket. They are interesting, cool stuff, but I don't think you'll gain much out of them until you hit an intermediate level of play... Just my opinion. I bought them, I've watched them, and I've played a few of the shots/scenarios I've learned, but it's a slow curve to bring this stuff into your game.

Good luck.

336Robin

Multiverse Operative
Silver Member
The 20 dollar lesson

Hellloooo

When you have played, practiced and think you know something with the guys you play with take The 20 dollar lesson.

Play someone you don't know that you hear plays Jam up a rack or 3 for 20 a rack.
When you are done and he has beaten you, remember everything he did that he used to beat you. Write it down and go practice those things until you have them in your arsenal. You might be out of $60 but there is nothing like the feeling that you get from knowing you are shooting your money. Dumb stuff hurts and embarrasses you and you will seek solutions. New moves you find worthwhile and you practice and you will find better competition to play on a regular basis. Rinse, Repeat and do this for the rest of your life, there is no cure for this disease.

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've been playing for a short time, like on and off for 2 years now. I've looked at books, videos, and played people in a one-pocket league. I would say the best way to learn at this point is to hold off on the books and DVDs and find some one pocket players and play the game.

I'm not suggesting you gamble or pay for lessons, but rather just look for some friendly games. If you find you have to, maybe play some cheap sets, like $5 a rack. Consider it cheap lessons. Also play a variety of people, don't play one guy all the time... Getting locked in to one person as an opponent will severely limit your game and capability. By playing multiple opponents, you will get a lot of different perspectives.

When you find people to play with, watch how they play and behave before jumping into a game with them. You can learn a lot just by watching what they do, how they react to situations, and if you don't already know, you will learn the etiquette among the players in your room.

Then, watch some videos on YouTube... My faves for learning are watching the Efren vs Gentile games... Forget about what Efren does, listen to BIlly Incardona's commentary... It's worth it's weight in gold. It's easier to watch one-pocket once you've played the game for a while.

Do drills for banks (single rail, multiple rail, and cross), and pocket and rail-speed shots... Do these like crazy.

As for books, once you've gotten some momentum in your game I'd slowly sink my teeth into those... Since the Eddie Robin books are had to get, consider just starting with Upscale One-Pocket.

For the DVDs, I've looked at a few of Gabe Owens, and gotten Scott Frosts Power One-Pocket. They are interesting, cool stuff, but I don't think you'll gain much out of them until you hit an intermediate level of play... Just my opinion. I bought them, I've watched them, and I've played a few of the shots/scenarios I've learned, but it's a slow curve to bring this stuff into your game.

Good luck.

A quibble: take the "friendly games" with care, because if they are grossly out of line chances are the experienced player will not play true to form. They will take flyers, shoot at a white flag, and generally not play "right." Sort of like playing penny poker.

1pocket is a gambling game so if you want to see it played correctly you will have to match up reasonably close. And on that note, don't start with someone who can give you the world, like 12-4. Start off with 9-7, 10-7 max and work your way up the food chain.

Lou Figueroa