Problem installing Ki-Tech tip

Sedog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Anyone having problem installing Ki-Tech tips. I bought the sample pack from OUTSVILLE, because of the positive reviews. Any way was having the soft installed as I have been playing with a Ultra Skin soft and wanted to compare them. My installer put it on and cut it down to size, took it off the lathe. It was not very smooth and it wobbled like it was coming off. We just assumed it was bad glue, pull it off resanded the bottom of the tip and noticed it sanded deeper on one side as it looked like there was a hard film on the side that did not sand very well. We decided to continue even though the bottom was at on an angle hoping we could correct it with reshaping. So, sanded the ferrel, opened new glue and put it on again. He did a little more clean up and took it out of the lathe. It was sitting on an angle, did some reshaping. It did not look pretty but, we decided to try it out. It played good, accept chalk real well and it stayed on well. I decided I would live with over the weekend. Played 20 or so games at home. Like the hit and chalk retention but it looked bad, so I cut about 1/16 off re shaped it and ended up with about an11mm tip. Better but not pretty. It really plays good just wish it looked better. I have about 60 games on it now and have say like better than any of the other tips I have tried.

Ky Boy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Anyone having problem installing Ki-Tech tips. I bought the sample pack from OUTSVILLE, because of the positive reviews. Any way was having the soft installed as I have been playing with a Ultra Skin soft and wanted to compare them. My installer put it on and cut it down to size, took it off the lathe. It was not very smooth and it wobbled like it was coming off. We just assumed it was bad glue, pull it off resanded the bottom of the tip and noticed it sanded deeper on one side as it looked like there was a hard film on the side that did not sand very well. We decided to continue even though the bottom was at on an angle hoping we could correct it with reshaping. So, sanded the ferrel, opened new glue and put it on again. He did a little more clean up and took it out of the lathe. It was sitting on an angle, did some reshaping. It did not look pretty but, we decided to try it out. It played good, accept chalk real well and it stayed on well. I decided I would live with over the weekend. Played 20 or so games at home. Like the hit and chalk retention but it looked bad, so I cut about 1/16 off re shaped it and ended up with about an11mm tip. Better but not pretty. It really plays good just wish it looked better. I have about 60 games on it now and have say like better than any of the other tips I have tried.

I had the same trouble with the Ki-tech tip. I played about 20 games with it and went to DCC and was going to have Joe Blackburn cut it down a little. As soon as he began taking it down it popped off. Mind you this was the second time I had put the tip on by 2 different installers.

I don't like the way the tip looks on the cue but that is an aesthetic issue I can live with. BTW, it was a medium tip that played much harder than what I like. I may try one of the soft tips I have in the sample pack if I know how to install them without them popping off.

Gary

LuckyStroke

Full Splic Addict
Silver Member
I had the same trouble with the Ki-tech tip. I played about 20 games with it and went to DCC and was going to have Joe Blackburn cut it down a little. As soon as he began taking it down it popped off. Mind you this was the second time I had put the tip on by 2 different installers.

I don't like the way the tip looks on the cue but that is an aesthetic issue I can live with. BTW, it was a medium tip that played much harder than what I like. I may try one of the soft tips I have in the sample pack if I know how to install them without them popping off.

Gary

As far as looks goes, once you shape it tape off the ferrule and hit it with a sharpie

Ben

Dockter

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think there is another post by him explaining how to cut them. I have Mike Webb put mine on, he did it perfectly the first time. Thing still plays amazing months later and has not needed any shaping at all after installation.

That's my bad, I thought it was in that post that he explained it. I knew I had seen him explain it and that it was a little different. I still haven't tried them out but if someone can post the other thread here when I buy some I'll point Keith Hanssen in this direction if he has problems but he has always done things great for me. :)

Chip Roberson

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
First Soft I played with was great..one of the best tips I ever used..the second one was so soft that the tip wobbled on top,,but was glued down well. I replaced it with Medium tips on both of my shafts and they are damn good..I turn them down with my tip trimmer and haven't had a problem one with the Mediums. Great Product in my book:thumbup:

Sedog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
First Soft I played with was great..one of the best tips I ever used..the second one was so soft that the tip wobbled on top,,but was glued down well. I replaced it with Medium tips on both of my shafts and they are damn good..I turn them down with my tip trimmer and haven't had a problem one with the Mediums. Great Product in my book:thumbup:

Yeah, mind wobbled until I cut it down. I think it is because it's solid leather and not bonded layers which provide stiffness because of the bonding. Will try the med. next.

mortuarymike-nv

mortuarymike-nv
Silver Member
Tip istallation

I started to use a live cutter to cut the tip to the ferrule, works great just don't get into the ferrule.

The live cutter doesn't build heat.....................................................

Blue Hog ridr

World Famous Fisherman.
Silver Member
They do cut a bit tough, the same as a couple of other known tips on the market.

It is not a layered tip so won't cut beautiful little ribbons like a layered.

I use a carbide blade for tips so that is one thing that I made sure of, when I installed 2 Ki's. That they were not dull.

I use a little Skoal spit and wax to polish mine. I like the shiny Blue. If you want to turn it brown, go to the Dollar Store and buy a Furniture color marker, tape off the ferrule and paint it Brown. Or a black Sharpie.

You probably got a bad tip to begin with. It happens. I have had Snipers, and just about every other tip that I stock go side ways on me at one time or another.

Elk Master having the propensity to accordion more than any other. Sometimes even after they are pressed.

I am sure that Chris will make it proper with you if you tell him.

Other than that, I installed a Soft on my Meucci. The only other tip that I have used on the Black Dot shaft is either my own Duds, Dawg's Duds, and now a Ki Tec.

So that is why I did it that way. I know what I can expect from the Dot shaft. So far, have not been disappointed in the Ki.

I didn't give it a fair chance the first time, so this time around, putting it thru the paces. I still have a Med and Hard to try.

Last edited:

DanO

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No matter what type of tip I install I always flush under pressure, then recut the nose under pressure so it is concentric with the outside Ø. Works for me.

Attachments

• Tip install.jpg
    Tip install.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 439
  • Tip install2.jpg
    Tip install2.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 429

Sedog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No matter what type of tip I install I always flush under pressure, then recut the nose under pressure so it is concentric with the outside Ø. Works for me.

Good idea thanks. Is that a Ki-tech tip?

Blue Hog ridr

World Famous Fisherman.
Silver Member
A live cutter on a lathe would be using a router or a smaller Dremel tool with the proper cutter.

So, the shaft is spinning in the jaws of the head stock, and the cutting blade on the router is also spinning.

As opposed to just the shaft spinning and using a cutting bit on your tool post, and or, a razor blade.

Live cutting is generally referred to when one is cutting outside and inside threads for example.

I couldn't find Tiger Products cutting a tip with a router, but here is Bob Dzuricky live cutting outside threads on a tenon using a router and a thread bit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVA...re=player_detailpage&x-yt-ts=1422327029#t=218

Last edited:

KMRUNOUT

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What is a live cutter?

A live cutter is a lathe attachment that has a motor for itself. Or a drive off the main motor. Point is the cutting tool itself is a powered cutter. Imagine a dremel tool or a power drill mounted on the tail stock of the lathe.

Live tooling allows far more machining options. I've seen some beautiful work threading tenons and stuff using live tooling.

KMRUNOUT

KMRUNOUT

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have been installing tips for several years now. I've done a million Kamui's and various layered tips, and also many triangles and single layered tips.

I have installed the Ki-Tech medium and the hard. Both went on perfectly, and stayed that way. I have not tried the soft, but have heard they are a little trickier.

KMRUNOUT

DanO

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
AKA Pro Ice Fisherman is correct but I'm not actually live cutting by definition. Don't know a lot of definition, just what works for me.

I lightly chuck the shaft with paper in my front jaw and torque down on the shaft with silicon rubber inside the back jaw. This way no dents. I'm using a 60º live center in my front tailstock with a small brass button that has a matching 60º point in front of it. With the shaft held tight, I come in hard with the tailstock putting pressure on the tip. The brass tool spins with the lathe allowing me to keep pressure on the tip while cutting it. No pressure on the glue joint that way. I recut the front end of a tip to eliminate the wobble if it's pre shaped, or to start the radius if it's a layered. Doesn't matter if it's layered or not. I do this on all my installs. The wobble on pre shaped tips is magnified when you install it if I don't do this. I finish with a razor to flush. Don't want to touch the ferrule with my cutter. Then shape.

Might be kinda overkill but this works for me.

mortuarymike-nv

mortuarymike-nv
Silver Member
Veeneer

What is a live cutter?

I use a Rigid Veneer trimmer mounted on the tool post,
I have done about 8 tips using the trimmer, I like it allot but the first tip I did I screwed it up.

The trimmer does a very clean job, but it is a open spinning carbide cutter doing 20,000 rpms.
So don't stick your fingers in it................

DanO

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
DANG! I'm chuein my nails lookin at that if my cue is in it! :) No side pressure on the tip though. I love innovation.